“Beautiful B&B in a great location”
Review of Ellesmere House

Ellesmere House
Ranked #36 of 389 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful B&B in a great location”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We've spent three nights in this B&B and it couldn't have been more perfect. Bedrooms are just stunning, very tastefully decorated and comfortable. Well-cooked breakfast was served in an equally lovely breakfast room. Jack the Labrador was incredibly friendly and well behaved, a lovely distraction!
Most importantly though, Lisa was an amazing host. Our itinerary was a bit complicated, with two-nights stay, a couple of days in the Highlands and coming back to Edinburgh for one more night. Checking-in, checking-out, changing bedrooms, leaving luggage, packed breakfast.. Lisa took care of absolutely everything. Coming back after our Highland tour felt almost like coming back home!

Room Tip: I thought room 4 was the most beautiful one, with garden-facing window.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Ellesmere H, Owner at Ellesmere House, responded to this review, August 14, 2013
Thank you so much for your kind remarks. It was great to meet you, and I hope you visit again.
Regards,
Lisa

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Reviewed June 24, 2013

From the moment we got to Edinburgh (exactly on time for once in my life!) everything was absolutely perfect. There was a parking spot available directly outside the building, Lisa was there to greet us as we arrived and the house was beautiful.

When I was trying to decide what room to go for I was told that this room was a bit smaller than the slightly more expensive rear room, however upon getting inside I found out that it was still huge! The bathroom was gorgeous, everything was clean and new, there was a little chocolate treat and glass of something-or-other waiting and - it's the little things - the TV in the room was a high quality Sony Bravia model and not the usual budget-line you get in many places. Not going to lie, I never use TVs when i'm staying anywhere so it's not a big deal for me, but for some people this will be a nice treat.

Breakfast in the morning was full Scottish, expertly cooked; exactly what we needed after a heavy night dancing at a Ceilidh! Unfortunately Jack the dog was feeling under the weather so we never got to meet him, but rest assured next time we will stay longer than one night and say hello.

All in all I would thoroughly recommend Ellesmere House. Location was ideal - we took a taxi to town as it was raining, but we could have walked it easily. We were genuinely struck by how nice everyone in Edinburgh was, and they could all have gotten it from Lisa who we both agreed was one of the nicest people we met :)

Room Tip: Don't be put off if you don't like dogs - you're unlikely to see him unless you ask!
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
Ellesmere H, Owner at Ellesmere House, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
What a fantastic review, thank you so much! It was lovely to meet you both, and I hope you'll stay longer next time. You were very lucky with the parking space, and since you arrived in the evening the parking was free. I'm pleased you liked your room, perhaps try a different one next time?

Thank you again for your kind words.
Derby, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 23, 2013

This is a gorgeous B&B with such a great welcome. Lisa was so helpful and made us feel so at home, it was lovely. The breakfasts were great and cooked to order. Furnishings/finishing touches all beautiful. Even port and chocolates in the room :)

Our room had views over the (36-hole!) pitch and putt course - we only managed 10 holes! (Take your own clubs and it's free to play, or hire them from the Golf Tavern across the road!)

All in all a really relaxing stay. Great location for getting into town too - only 15-20 minute walk to Princes Street and loads of eating/drinking places to choose from on the way.

Will definitely be going back...........

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Ellesmere H, Owner at Ellesmere House, responded to this review, July 18, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to leave a review on Tripadvisor. Your compliments mean a great deal to me; it's a wonderful feeling to know that our guests had a great time and want to return. Please, the next time, let me know that you are playing golf on the Links and I'll let you borrow some clubs - no need to hire them from the Golf Tavern.

Haste ye back.
McLean, Virginia
Reviewed June 3, 2013

We spent 5 nights at Ellesmere Guest House in Edinburgh. The proprietor, Lisa, was very friendly and helpful, including bringing us tea upon our arrival after 4 hour train trip from London. Our room had 12 foot ceilings, the bed was comfortable, Breakfast is served in large well-lit dining area on lower level. Multiple breakfast items including fruit, pastries, eggs, full-English breakfast,cereals. While there is no common sitting room, this was really not needed since we were out of the house all day, every day.
House is well-located near several city bus stops which provide fast service to all areas of Edinburgh including Waverley train station. No car needed in the city. Best dinner (salmon on skewers) was right around corner at Apartment restaurant. Get day bus pass on bus each day (exact change) for unlimited riding that day but does not include fare on airport bus. If staying longer, can get one-week bus pass at bus office that does include airport bus.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed May 27, 2013

Absolutely beautiful B and B. Immaculate throughout. Wonderful breakfast with plenty of choice (smoked salmon, etc). Lisa is the most superb host, absolutely charming. Its not right in the centre but the walk across the Meadows and through the University into the City Centre is lovely. Some nice places on the doorstep for dinner - suggest Henricks. Can't rate out stay highly enough.

• Stayed May 2013
Ellesmere H, Owner at Ellesmere House, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you so much for taking the time to write such a positive review. It is very much appreciated. I'm sure Henricks will be happy to hear that you recommend them for dinner, too.
Congratulations, also, on your excellent finish-time in the Edinburgh Marathon. Rather you than me, though!
I do hope we see you at Ellesmere House again; perhaps your next visit will be more leisurely?
It was a pleasure to meet you - Haste ye back!
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 14, 2013

My girlfriend and I stayed here for a couple days for her birthday, long drive up but definitely worth it!!
Well located within walking distance of Edinburgh castle and not far from places to eat or shop.
Lisa was kind and welcoming when we first arrived, although I was sad not to see Jack the Labrador as he was out on a walk at the time :), I got to meet him shortly after and he is the friendliest dog I have ever met!!!
The house is beautiful as are 99% of the buildings in Edinburgh, parking as a bit of a pain but that was because there was a show on at the theatre and there were a lot more cars than normal.
The room was nice, clean and well decorated as was the bathroom.
Not sure if this is the same for every room but ours came with a small bottle of wine, a couple of chocolates and a couple of biscuits, which we much appreciated :).
Breakfast was delicious, although I only had sausage on toast it was very nice and I'm assured by my girlfriend that the scrambled eggs and bacon were also scrumptious.
Something you won't experience in a hotel is when we went down for breakfast in the morning, all the guests said good morning to each other and it was just a nice little thing that I don't think you would experience in a hotel, much more homely.
Will definitely be coming back and will be recommending Ellesmere House to all friends and family.
Thank you for such a wonderful weekend Lisa!!
Andy

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Ellesmere H, Owner at Ellesmere House, responded to this review, May 29, 2013
Thank you for your warm review. The next time you visit, you will see that we provide chocolates and Port in every room - a little touch to make you feel more at home.

Jack really does love meeting all of our guests, and I'm thrilled you thought he was such a friendly dog.

I agree that most hotels don't have such a warm and friendly breakfast room - I think it's great that our guests like to chat to eachother; either to exchange stories of places they visited, or just a simple 'hello" and "how are you?"

Thank you again for your kind review - such great feedback tells us we're doing something right.
Poulton Le Fylde, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 9, 2013

Ihave been staying at Ellesmere House on Mondays to Fridays since October 2012, for approx 2 or 3 weeks each month. I've stayed in each of the 4 rooms and all are very warm and comfortable and tastefully decorated and furnished.
It is perfectly located for the sights and experiences of Edinburgh city centre but also for easy access into Bruntsfield and Morningside which are very attractive city suburbs with plenty of good places to eat and rink in the evening. And of course the Bruntsfiled links are directly opposite
Lisa has been the perfect host and makes me feel wlecome very time I'm there, nothing is too much trouble. Last but by no means least is Jack the dog who I'd defy anyone not to fall for, he is very well trained and friendly and lightens up the winter evenings. He even came out on a run with me one evening though at the end I think he was glad to be back home! My partner has been to stay on occasions as well and she always enjoys being there and will be coming up again in the near future.
Finally - one thing I can't comment on is the breakfast as I make my own but I'm sure it is great!

Room Tip: All 4 rooms are great. Room 1 at the front has the views out over the links, room 2 is the biggest...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business