“Good location but something didn't sit right.”

Twelve Picardy Place
Ranked #80 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed September 21, 2013

Me and my fiancé wanted to go to Edinburgh for a weekend and decided to book late. We wanted a good quality hotel without paying balmoral prices. We paid 260ish for a Friday and Saturday night. On arrival I got the impression that the chap on the front desk didn't really know what he was doing, rummaging around in the draw for our room key. Once we were allocated our room "loch ern" he did very kindly help us up to our room with our cases. (Seeing as it was right on the top floor of the hotel with no lift). The room was modern and quirky but the novelty soon where's off. Behind the hotel was a pub but never had any noise. Bed was comfy shower was really good. No central heating because it couldn't be isolated to one room apparently. Overall ok hotel that you get what you pay for. Would I stop here again? Yes why not.

Room Tip: A deluxe sweet
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled as a couple
michele c, Front Office Manager at Twelve Picardy Place, responded to this reviewResponded September 22, 2013

Hi Hannah,

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed most of your stay. The listed status of the building does mean that we are unable to install an elevator but, as you kindly state, our staff are available to take the bags upstairs for guests.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

Just spent the last weekend of the Edinburgh Festival in this very nicely appointed, chic and comfortable hotel. Interior decor is spectacular but most importantly, the beds gives you that all important restful night's sleep! Very comfortable. The staff were wonderful, friendly, polite, helpful. A pleasure to stay at this hotel.

Room Tip: There's no elevator but that didn't bother me as only two floors.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
michele c, Front Office Manager at Twelve Picardy Place, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2013

Hi there,

We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Twelve Picardy Place, and always grateful when people take the time to post such compliments on Trip Advisor. We hope that you return, and also hope that we always make such a good impression.

Kind regards,

Reviewed August 21, 2013

I stayed here at the end of May for two nights on a business trip. I am immensely glad it was just for 2 and I wasn't paying a penny!! The staff were rude and unhelpful. I had no help hauling my heavy suitcase up the stairs and the phone did not work. Although the decor may seem nice initially there are so many things wrong with the room!!! If someone with a little bit of sense behind themselves went through the rooms thoroughly so much could be fixed!! My toilet seat was not connected properly, there was no hot water the evening of my stay, the tv in the bathroom did not work, there was hair and dust in the foot massager, the rail in the wardrobe could not be reached by a normal sized human being so i had to get a chair to stand on to hang up my suit! I was hoping for a spot of room service so attempted to call down several times but got no response. I eventually pottered downstairs to see if i could get a drink and a light snack from the restaurant next door and the boy at the desk actually rolled his eyes at me!! I was in disbelief!! the hotel was not busy and surely bringing a few drinks upstairs is not too much of an issue!! which leeds me to my diet coke I had ordered! It arrived 3/4 full up the glass with two ice cubes in it. I took the ice out and the drink was warm - clearly just a small mixer can poured in with a few ice cubes and they charged almost £3 for it! Thank god it was covered by my expenses!!! I had also asked for a wake up call in the morning as I had an early meeting to attend but of course no wake up call was delivered! Just as well I was having an awful sleep and decided to just get up at 5.30 anyways! There are so many small things wrong with this hotel which would just be so easy to fix if someone paid attention as it is the small things which always matter most! I would also recommend hiring better staff as there is nothing worse than rude unwelcoming staff who make you feel a hassle rather than welcome!

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Cwizza

Hi there,

We appreciate your comments regarding your stay with us here at Twelve Picardy Place. Unfortunately, it seems as if a number of small problems all came together to make your time with us an unsatisfactory one, and I can only apologise for that. We have since worked on a number of the issues that you highlight (closet space, heating system, the telephone system, etc.) and would like to think that we could easily make a better impression if you ever decided to stay with us again some time in the future.

Reviewed August 19, 2013

My husband and I stayed at 12 Picardy Place for a three day visit to Edinburgh. We really had a great big room. Everything I wanted was available in the room. Bathroom was big and very well equipped. The staff was amazing. We had dinner at the Steak restaurant and also that was excellent. We will go back there anytime.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi there,

We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed every aspect of your stay with us at Twelve Picardy Place, and greatly appreciate you taking the time to post your comments here on Trip Advisor.

Reviewed August 14, 2013

staff were excellent and very very professional.

rooms big and mine was on the top floor so had a nice view out towards Leith

cocktail bar downstairs was excellent

restaurant next door specialised in steaks and it was good, not brilliant but still good and very handy,

great location. would go back

Room Tip: top floor for a view, but theres no lift so a couple of flights of stairs.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank AlexDragon

Hi there,

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Twelve Picardy Place. Unfortunately, the listed nature of the building means that we are unable to install an elevator, but we like to think that the views from the upper rooms make up for the trek up the stairs. We very much appreciate your comments.

Reviewed July 21, 2013 via mobile

Booked this hotel because it looked amazing on the website and we wanted a central location.
It looked quirky and modern, which we like.
Position was great, surrounded by bars and restaurants.
Upon entering the hotel, the Reception was not great, just a desk inside the front door. Lady on reception was lovely though. She showed us to our room which looked very impressive ( loch leven)
Started to unpack, opened wardrobe but there was no hanging space, instead inside the wardrobe there was a mini bar and tea making facilities, strange?!!!
Carried in looking around room, wondered if I'd missed the hanging space somewhere else but no. I went down to reception, couldn't phone them because no phone in room, and asked the receptionist if they had a clothes rail I could borrow. She apologised and said she knew there wasnt any hanging space in our room and went to have a word with the manageress. She told me they would try and sort it out. About 5 mins later the manageress knocked on our door saying she didnt realise there wasnt any hanging place and she was was sorry and embarrassed maybe she should have chatted with the receptionist as she seemed to know more!! Manageress had some coat hangers and a chair to hang our clothes from!! I accepted the hangers but declined the chair, she then brought us 2 free glasses of wine to apologise, which was a lovely offer. But no hanging space in such a boutique hotel, surely that's a basic requirement.
The bathroom was lovely and the shower was amazing!! But could have done with a hook in there to hang clothes from, also a shelf for toiletries would have been useful.
Complimentary toiletries were ok but we've had alot better from other hotels.
Mini bar was not fully stocked as it says on website but we were very happy to have 'real' milk in there!
As for the 3d hd tv, it only had the free sky channels which was a bit disappointing and no 3d channels obviously. Tv at the end of the bed was not great but that just our personal taste.
The radio in room and bathroom was really useful. It states a docking station on the website, so we didn't take ours, but sadly there wasn't one so we couldn't play our music.
A few little niggles were:
Milk not replenished.
Tea bags not replenished.
Bottled water only replaced once.
Cheap toilet rolls.
Filled out form requesting Turn down as they said it would be provided but Never happened on any of the 3 nights.
No offer of help with bags on arrival.
Overall it could be such a wonderful hotel, just needs someone to come in and advise them on the basic necessities.

• Stayed: July 2013
2  Thank Jujuju33333

Hi there,

I'm sorry to hear about the issues that marred your enjoyment of your stay with us. A number of the points you raise seem to stem from communication issues, which I hope we have since resolved in our new procedures for staff. There were a few design oversights that we have since rectified, including the hanging space in the room that you occupied, and I can only apologise that you were disappointed this time. We hope that you will be pleased with the corrections made if you decide to visit us again in the future.

Reviewed July 21, 2013

Had am amazing three night get away with my partner, perfect location everything within walking distance or a short bus journey away would recommend leaving the car at home !. The staff where amazingly friendly. The room and the hotel where beautifully decorated and very clean. I couldn't of asked for a better get away highly recommed to anyone wanting to have a romantic city break.

Would suggest visiting Edinburgh Dungeons, The Castle and The Zoo all three where fantastic days out !!

Room Tip: There is no lift, not that we needed one but just incase some one has difficulty with stairs, althou...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi there,

We are very pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us here at Twelve Picardy Place. Unfortunately, as a listed building, we cannot install an elevator (as much as I'd like one most days), and we do always do our best to warn anyone who may have mobility issues.

I'm sure people will also appreciate your recommendations for things to do in the city (although Edinburgh Dungeons is not for the faint of heart).