“Terrible meal and service without a smile”
Review of The Blackbird

Cuisines: Scottish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

Had lunch here today and was very disappointed with quality of food. Not to be recommend. Cocktails were ok.

Date of visit: September 2019
Write a reviewReviews (381)

Reviewed September 5, 2019

A group of colleagues had lunch here today and it’s fair to say the food had mixed reception. I ordered a Philly Cheesesteak - It turned out to be rather horrid BBQ meat with some melted cheese and a couple of slices of what appeared to be fried bread. It was the most unappetising (and frankly vile) interpretation of a classic that left me bemused and disappointed. Avoid.

Date of visit: September 2019
Reviewed August 25, 2019

I’ve been to The Blackbird for drinks plenty of times but we needed somewhere for brunch with friends. The menu is decent and varied and, though perhaps a little pricey, it has a decent reputation that means you expect a good meal.

Between 8 of us, breakfast came to around £100 - not shockingly expensive but pricey for what arrived. The Scottish breakfast included one single flat mushroom and one half tomato, one sausage and one rasher of bacon. The black pudding was overspiced and too thickly sliced and a huge slice of bread was used to cover the empty half a plate. The waffles were actually only one waffle cut in half and so thin they were more like cardboard. Coffee was tasty and service perfectly friendly, though splitting the bill between 4 was somehow made into a wildly complicated process. This all took about 50 minutes to arrive - which, although we were warned about it, seems excessive given there were only about 6 other people eating at the time.

3 stars for drinks but if you’re after a good, slightly upmarket breakfast, there’s half a dozen better options within 2 minutes on Leven Street.

Reviewed August 22, 2019 via mobile

This place has been revamped as it used to be a locals pub some years ago. We were in at lunchtime and it was not busy however it took half an hour before our mains arrived. Nothing fancy but pricey. Staff were fine very pleasant. The music playing left much to be desired but I suppose it’s hard to please everyone. Very slow and pricey. Food was ok but nothing more than that. They really will have to get there act together as there is a lot of competition in the area.

Reviewed August 17, 2019

I hate to give negative reviews, but our experience wasn't excellent and this place was recommended to us. First, we arrived around 4pm which was definitely between lunch and dinner so things were very slow except the beer garden out back. I ordered a noodle salad dish. They were rice noodles and I couldn't eat a lot of them because they were hard and stuck together. Because it was late, I ate most of it except those noodles and it was almost $15 for the bowl! I did complain and they took 10% off our bill. I had a Peach Old Fashioned cocktail special and it was great! I think the menu was pushing the limits of trying to be too different.