“Delightful Delicious D'luvley!”

Scottish Storytelling Centre
Ranked #115 of 404 things to do in Edinburgh
More attraction details
Owner description: The Scottish Storytelling Centre is an award-winning public building designed by Malcolm Fraser Architects, halfway along Edinburgh's Royal Mile.The Centre includes the historic John Knox House, 99-seat Netherbow Theatre and the George Mackay Brown Library, and is the headquarters of the Scottish Storytelling Network. Our light and airy Storytelling Court is open to the public, and includes a free child-friendly exhibition, Scotland's Stories, as well as a programme of temporary displays. Our book and gift shop, housed in John Knox House's traditional 'luckenbooths', stocks a range of storytelling books, CDs and resources. The Storytelling Cafe serves delicious homemade lunches, coffees and snacks, as well as wines and beers and a special children's menu. The Centre is a friendly and welcoming space for meeting friends, finding out about Scotland's rich story heritage and experiencing the magic of live stories. We look forward to your visit!
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Delightful Delicious D'luvley!”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

Within the last year or so, the Storytelling Cafe has become one of my regular tea stops when in town and I've been meaning for some time to write an appreciative review to that effect. It seems I'm here in the nick of time and find myself in the position of defending this super and hospitable cafe, after the damning report made by the previous reviewer. I have always found the Storytelling cafe to be very friendly and accommodating and having had the pleasure of trying a lot of the delicious options on the menu, they have always been of generous proportion and the wonderful home baking and scones, in particular, keep me coming back time and again. The scones are a personal favourite - again generously sized, beautifully flavoured and I rarely choose anything else when looking for a something sweet! I feel sorry that the previous reviewer found so much to damn and little to savour in their report on the cafe and centre and feel sure that if they spent some time in the wonderful Storytelling Centre itself, they would find a unique and interesting venue to be proud of, whilst being a Scot abroad.

Visited October 2013
Elaine J, Customer Service Administrator at Scottish Storytelling Centre, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thank you for your lovely review! I will pass on your comments to the cafe staff.
P.S. The scones are my favourite too!

9 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 13 helpful votes
“Dreadful cafe and awful service”
Reviewed November 7, 2013

Went there with friends and family for lunch. Nice enough setting in Canongate but the service is a joke. Complained about the almost non-existent filling in my egg sandwich (nearly £5 by the way) and with much bad grace they eventually brought me a cold hard boiled egg from The fridge and told me to do it myself. In fact having just re-read this review I'm still so annoyed that I've now downgraded it to one star. Other than that I couldn't see the point of this 'award winning' centre. A few desultory bits of paper hanging on frames on the wall was my abiding memory. It really is not a good advert for Edinburgh.

Visited October 2013
Elaine J, Customer Service Administrator at Scottish Storytelling Centre, responded to this review, November 14, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I have been in touch with the café staff and owners (Glenfinlas) and they are sorry to hear you feel you were treated poorly in the café. They felt the issue had been resolved at the time, however if this is not the case then please accept our apologies. As you can see from other reviews on here our café is known for its great service and choice, and the prices reflect the standard of places to eat on the Royal Mile.
Regarding your comments about the Scottish Storytelling Centre, the paper on the walls you refer to was part of our Scottish International Storytelling Festival exhibition – a collection of story, music, art and craft created by young people from the Scottish Highlands. It is a shame that you were not able to see a storytelling performance as part of your visit, we are very proud of what we offer to Edinburgh, and to all our visitors, and I hope you will return to learn more about our work.
Jersey, United Kingdom
96 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 270 helpful votes
“Great cafe”
Reviewed September 12, 2013

We had lunch in the cafe here after spotting it when passing, the staff we're friendly and the food great. We shared a tasty platter with bread, savory biscuits, cheeses and hams, grapes, chutney and coleslaw priced around £7.50, we added a side order of bread & the biscuits for around £2.50.
The bookshop was also stocked with some intresting books.

Visited September 2013
Elaine J, Customer Service Administrator at Scottish Storytelling Centre, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Thanks for your review! I will pass on your nice comments to our cafe staff.
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Hidden Gem”
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I guess many people don't know that the Scottish Story Telling Centre has a great little cafe. Cakes are lovely although the board didn't reflect availability when we visited.

Visited August 2013
Elaine J, Customer Service Administrator at Scottish Storytelling Centre, responded to this review, September 4, 2013
Thank you for this review, I will pass your nice comments on to the cafe staff.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
101 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 110 helpful votes
“A lovely place with a superb cafe / restaurant”
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

This is a hidden gem in Edinburgh. Bright, welcoming, interesting and you learn a lot about our own and other cultures. Interesting bookshop too. The cafe is delightful with a huge range of food for a coffee or a light lunch. Lovely ambience and a smashing place to sit and pass a while.

Visited August 2013
Elaine J, Customer Service Administrator at Scottish Storytelling Centre, responded to this review, August 21, 2013
Thanks for your feedback! I'll pass your nice comments on to our cafe staff. There's lots of interesting events happening at the Centre so we hope to see you back here soon.