“Banquet was fantastic!”

Ranked #43 of 2,640 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Caribbean, French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: riverRLife has been nominated as one of Scotland's fantastic restaurant serving cuisines from around the world in the Scotland's Best Rest Of The World Restaurant category! If you want riveRLife to be in the running to become Scotland's best,then please spare a moment and vote for riverRLife using the website link on our Facebook page as link will not be accepted on this tripadvisor page. riverRLife is fully BYOB, no corkage charged! riveRLife opened it's doors to the public in mid-July 2012. A very friendly, family run restaurant, 5 minutes walk from Haymarket Train Station in Edinburgh. Our cuisine is an unusual fusion of French Provencal and Caribbean. We take pride in the fact that our food is tasty, freshly made every time, using locally sourced produce and very good value for money. Our price range is £ 4.95 To £16.95. We look forward to serving you and yours at here at riveRLife at some point.
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We had bought a voucher for the 9 course banquet and booked a table for a Monday night. However, on arrival the waitress explained that the banquet was only offered on a Sunday. She was extremely gracious and allowed us to go ahead and have it anyway but explained there would be a bit of a wait. We didn't mind at all and sat back to wait on our food. Each course was very well prepared, taking into account they don't normally make it during the week. When the main came we were simply blown away. Six different dishes were presented and all of them were sublime! Fantastic french food and good value for the city centre. Well worth a try.

2  Thank SamanthaLaw

Where to start...
After booking a birthday dinner a few weeks in advance through 5pm for 15% discount off the "Provençal" menu,all looked very promising, and with excellent read reviews, I was looking forward to a great evening. This was not the case!
On arrival the table,cutlery and glasses very all very dirty,after giving it a wee clean ourself,we carried on. My friend paper cut his finger,when asked for a plaster he was given the option to go to the shop to buy one! Obviously no first aid kit on premises.
We all ordered our 2 courses from the owner I think? The other waitress was very pleasant but there was a communication barrier with language at times too .
The starters were ok, small portions and one plate of prawns overcooked, it wasn't spectacular,but there weren't any other issues.
The mains however, meats were all overcooked ,given the wrong selected potatoes,my vegetables were missing from my plate and had a strange bisto like gravy on my steak?all served to us by a stressed out kp who was she who gave us our steak knives. She was dishing out meals to a busy restaurant .
We were offered coffees free of charge(which should have been anyway with our 5pm promo)after ordering them twice and asking for a third time for all the missing coffees we gave up and asked for the bill. And asked again and again and again...We're by this point in the restaurant for 3 hours! It took for all of us to get up and ready to go for the bill to arrive with no discount applied! I then had to prove I booked with 5pm(btw they do automatically)
We paid,we felt and then it was too late to find a pub opened to enjoy our Birthdays.

I thought I had found a little gem in Edinburgh with the menu sounding right up my street.I'm sorry to say I will never return again.

6  Thank Audrey S
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I recently purchased a deal for two main courses at the Riverlife, after reading all the great reviews we were really looking forward to our meal there. We have tried many little restaurants like this and have always found them to be fantastic but this was a massive let down. We decided to pay extra to have a starter each, I had the goats cheese salad which was a large portion of goats cheese and a nice salad, my partner went for the fig with blue cheese and pancetta, it was actually wrapped in streaky bacon not pancetta and it was incredibly small.

For our main courses I ordered the jerk chicken with rice and Provencal veg, what arrived was a very dry bland chicken breast with some jerk sauce pored over with some white rice. The Provencal veg consisted of a small cold portion of ratatouille, a small cold portion of mashed carrot and a small cold portion of mushy peas (??).

My partner ordered the rack of lamb with dauphinoise potatoes. He received 3 small lamb chops (not a rack of lamb) which had been cooked perfectly, he received the same selection of odd veg as myself and then a small pile of what can only be described as crushed potatoes, when we asked where the dauphinoise potatoes where we were told that was them. By the end of the meal we were both still very hungry, and had thought of giving them another chance with dessert. However after sitting for such a long time with empty plates in front of us and no one coming to clear them we eventually decided against that.

The overall level of service seemed to get worse as time went on, they had seemed attentive at first but as more customers arrived the two main waiting staff (a man and young women) seemed to just be wandering about and constantly walking round the restaurant but not doing anything. It then became left to an older woman who had been in the kitchen to come out and was single handily clearing the plates and serving and took our instruction for the bill.

Luckily there is a supermarket just along from the Riverlife, so my partner managed to pick up something for dinner there and a pudding for us!

7  Thank Gtyrel10
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Found this restaurant on 5pm and we were so glad that we did. The food is absolutely oustanding. Plenty of choice, well executed, tasty and wholesome. One of the best meals I have ever had. All three courses were great but the duck starter was particularly delicious. The service was so friendly and we were made so welcome on arrival, despite being 15 mins late. Cannot recommend this restaurant highly enough and will definitely go back next time I visit Edinburgh.

2  Thank KC1972_11
Buumba M, Owner at Riverlife, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear valued customer,

We are pleased to hear of your positive experience at riveRLife and thank you for taking the time to write a review of this.

Being a small family run and new business, in a very competitive market, we aim to please and are glad to hear of your appreciation.

We look forward to serving you and yours again, here at riveRLife.

Reviewed March 31, 2013

My sister booked this on the basis of tripadvisor reviews and it was honestly one of the best meals we have ever eaten. The cafe is situated on Dalry Road and when we arrived on Saturday night was about half full. It was warm, cosy and we were immediately greeted at the door by a gentleman in a trilby hat and shown to our table. It had a nice, laid back charm. It is BYOB and you are not charged corkage. They happily stored our wine in the fridge. The menu has about 11 mains-sea bass, duck, pork, lamb, steak, chicken and 1 or 2 veggie options. It was difficult to choose what to eat as the choices were all immensely appealing and our waitress was more than happy to substitute rice/potatoes/salad instead of the vegetable ratatouille accompaniment for the jerk chicken that I eventually decided on. I had the jerk chicken with rice and they also added in the ratatouille. So sweet of them. The service was truly outstanding and our waitress was chatty, knowledgeable and kept our glasses topped up. My sister had the duck salad which was exquisite and beautifully dressed, sea bass done in a provencale sauce and pear tarte tatin. All divine. I opted for a goats cheese salad, jerk chicken and a chestnut and chocolate Cointreau Charlotte. Utterly scrumptious. I can say that this restaurant feels like a wee find, it might not be in the new town or in Victoria Street but the food speaks for itself and the service was amazing. Inexpensive at only forty- four pounds for three courses and two bottles of sparkling water. Total bargain. We left feeling very well fed, well catered to and with smiles of satisfaction upon our faces. It is an absolute must to visit!

2  Thank shonesScotland
Buumba M, Owner at Riverlife, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2013

Dear valued customer,

We aim to please and are glad to hear of your appreciation. We look forward to serving you and yours again, here at riveRLife.