“Exceptional food, friendly, informal, reasonable”

Three Birds Restaurant
Ranked #145 of 2,550 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: British
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed March 18, 2017

This is about a 25-minute walk from the center of town (Royal Mile/Waverley Station) and well worth the outing. It's a casual bistro-like environment with intensely flavorful and imaginative food - it's a short menu but there will surely be something everyone will like. Very reasonable prices for the quality.

2  Thank thomasbaker
Write a reviewReviews (887)

Reviewed March 18, 2017 via mobile

My wife and I visited this restaurant two weeks with my adult daughter. And it was a pleasant atmosphere and good menu. So we decided to book a table of six for yesterday to celebrate my daughters 24th birthday. We booked for six o'clock and it was made clear that we had to completed by 8. The family don't hang around when eating so I didn't think this was an issue.

So last night we dined with my elderly father, step mum, wife and both my daughters. The meal progressed albeit at a slow pace. The meal was perhaps not as good as last time but perfectly acceptable.

By 7.15 we had completed or main course and then it started. The waitress came with a desert menu and said we needed to order our deserts as quickly as possible. We were then visited by a procession of staff chasing us for order, when received our dishes- had we finished and finally - here's the bill - could we pay please. It was stressful and an experience that I have never had previously when I have eaten out.

I was asked when we were settling the bill if everything had been ok. By the way the time was 7.45. I explained how unhappy I was with the way were treated. This was a special occasion and that it was as we were being pushed out the door. The bill was £192 and as a result of my complaint they decided to provide the deserts free. This was £20 off the bill.

This was appalling service and the manager clearly did not get the point despite her apologies. So let me state the issues clearly:
- the Restaurant gave us the reservation knowing that they needed our table by 8. So they had a duty to serve us promptly and ensure our experience was not ruined.
- the restaurant took approximately 40 mins to serve our main course. That was nothing to do with us. It was their responsibility.

What was meant to be a special evening was ruined. I will never return and would not recommended it.

11  Thank V4460VJjohnc
Reviewed March 15, 2017

Discovered this place recently after a friend recommended the restaurant and ever since it has become our regular place to go when on our trip home to Edinburgh.

They serve great sharing dishes which change regularly. A favourite in the family is 'the big cow'

Recommend you book a table as it is a small restaurant and limited seating

Date of visit: July 2016
1  Thank Steph091
Reviewed March 12, 2017

I visited here as part of my birthday celebrations given its high ranking on this forum and its close location to me. The place is absolutely tiny and we booked a month in advance because we were a group of 7, but it makes for a really intimate and cosy atmosphere and you definitely don't feel crammed in. The food was great, although the menu is rather eyebrow-raising for somewhere that isn't on George Street or Queen Street. I had the haggis and venison meatballs to start, which were well-cooked and juicy although it was difficult to taste the haggis, which another member of the group also pointed out. Others had the scallops, soup, and salmon with no complaints. For mains, I had the sweet potato and jalapeño gnocchi from the specials board which was absolutely divine. Just one of those meals that you could keep eating. For desserts, we had the margarita mess, the cheese board, the rocky road sundae, and the creme brûlée, which again went down a treat. The service was impeccable and the waitresses were friendly. I particularly liked the added touch of the rocky road for my birthday, so thanks again!
My only qualm is that we had a 12 year old with us who ordered off the children's menu due to the unique adult menu, but his soup and macaroni were served in plastic bowls ideal for younger children. I understand that this was because he had a child's meal but it would have been nice for the waitress or chef to have taken the initiative to give him a normal plate so as not to embarrass him too much. On that note, perhaps this is not ideal a restaurant suitable for children to go to.
All in all, we had a great meal and I have hardly any complaints. I would definitely come again and would recommend it to anyone, it is definitely worth the walk or taxi to Bruntsfield!

2  Thank Charlotte L
Reviewed March 12, 2017

I came here for a birthday meal with a friend and her family. The whole experience was wonderful from start to finish. The atmosphere relaxing, the service was attentive and friendly (my friend was brought a dessert with a birthday message), and the food was divine. For starters we had tomato soup, venison meatballs, salmon, scallops and pea and goats cheese fritters. For mains we had sweet potato gnocchi (a special), beef stir fry, mussels and lamb (a special), and for dessert we had the rocky road, the margherita mess and the cheese board. This little restaurant is the definition of a hidden gem, and I'll be counting down the days until I can go back!

1  Thank vvatson