“Great price but oh! my back!”
Review of Portsburgh Court

Portsburgh Court
Ranked #86 of 211 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
NYC
“Great price but oh! my back!”
Reviewed September 17, 2013

This was a last-minute booking for me during my impromptu visit to the Edinburgh Fringe Festival. The location is great. It's just outside the center of all of the fringe action. The price was very reasonable, especially considering the hyper-inflated prices of every square inch of real estate during the month of August in Edinburgh. There is a washer and drier and the place felt pretty secure, overall. I stayed in a dorm room which, like most dorm rooms, feels like just a step above a prison cell.

I'm not sure if I just got one of the worst rooms in the lot but the bed was, by far, the most uncomfortable bed I have ever experienced in my life. I could feel the springs pushing into my back – and it didn't feel good! The pillow was pretty much non existent except for a few feathers, I suppose. The room was also extremely dark and I intentionally spent as little time as possible in it.

But, you get what you pay for and if you are looking for a cheap, no-frills option during your stay in Edinburg, this place will do just fine. I would probably stay again if I could not find another place but I would definitely bring an egg crate or some type of padding for the bed next time!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
3 Thank Kellygobraugh

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed September 5, 2013

Be aware - this is not a hotel, but a privately operated university residence hall that rents to tourists in summer and when they have vacancies. That means it's quite nice as residence halls go (all rooms have private shower/toilet) but doesn't have everything you might expect from a hotel. Rooms are of 2 sorts - Studios are self-contained 1-room apartments with small kitchen area, and Standard rooms are arranged in flats of 4 or 5 with shared kitchen. Furnishings are basic - bed, chair, desk, wardrobe - but clean and in good shape. No hotel amenities beyond linens and towels. Free wifi throughout, laundomat in basement, supermarket a half-block away. Major pluses: price and location, an easy walk to anywhere you are likely to want to go. Major minuses: if you're in a standard room, chances are that some of your flat-mates will be travelling together, leading to late-night socialising. Also, while reception is very friendly and helpful, they're only open to 10:30 PM. There's a night security man, but very late arrivals will involve some inconvenience.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank whblore
PEI
Reviewed August 19, 2013

We weren't sure what to expect when we arrived at our accommodations in Edinburgh- most places we had contacted had tripled their rates during Fringe Festival so we were worried it was a dump. We were pleasantly surprised to find a nice spacious room with a full bathroom & kitchen, small living area and bed. The bed wasn't great, felt very much like a foldout but my husband thought it was fine (I'm a bed snob as I have a bad back). We had two nice big windows with a view of the castle (and fireworks every night), and were able to buy groceries and cook meals. It's student accommodations, so there is no television or special perks as you would find in other rentals (assuming that most students bring these items themselves) but the city is so beautiful who needs a tv?! There is a common room downstairs with a tv but the one time we braved it, it was full of people so we didn't stay. Close to everything, as long as you don't mind hills & stairs! Lots of taxis around if you're not keen on walking. Sainsburys (grocery store) on the corner and only a 2 minute walk from Grassmarket where there are lots of shops/pubs/restaurants/etc. There is also a room you can lock your luggage in that's very secure if you arrive before check-in time and want to explore.

Room Tip: Pay a little extra for the kitchen option...you save so much money buying groceries!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 27, 2013

Student accomodation, so you have the strict minimum in the room.
No soap/hair dryer/tv but the room/bathroom was clean and quiet.

This is not the best matress i ever seen, but as a limited budget, that was more than correct.
As long as you don't expect a luxurious room, this is fine. Wifi was free as well.

The guy at reception was helpful as he gave me a map and ask me what i wanted to see.

For breakfast, this is close to a couple of shops, so it was easy to find food.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Oceanedu66
Parsippany, New Jersey
Reviewed September 17, 2012

it's essentially a hostel so do not expect any frills + full services. stayed here during the Edinburgh Military Tattoo & Festival 2012 as Edinburgh was pretty full...

the rooms are small and very student oriented with a desk/ chair, etc...and very small windows.

the main problem though i found: no wi-fi and only wired internet. in the age of an ipad, that becomes difficult.

wifi though is present in the basement common lounge room they hve. lounge room is pretty fun with a pool table and vending machine, tv etc.

alright if ure used to hostels, not if u arent...
location is nice...walking distance to castle and grassmarket and royal mile....bit of a walk from the waverley stn though.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank SoumitreeG
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2012

Booked three nights during the festival for £200; no view, no breakfast, no soap in the bathroom. Very standard small room with no frills, literally. Be aware that there is no routine towel and sheet change or any servicing to the room but the communal areas including the kitchen are cleaned. I arrived late on the Friday to find two large stains on my sheets and no reception to complain to. The communal lounge does have a range of vending machines and the accommodation itself is brilliantly located so getting breakfast etc was easy.

The two or three times I did speak to staff, they couldn't have been more helpful. Sheets and towels were changed with no fuss for example. Outside of the festival at lower rates I can see that Portsburgh is probably excellent value...you just won't want to stay in your room very much!!!

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank JRS1970
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2012

I decided to come to the fringe at the last minute and booked this student accommodation because the deal was pretty good. I think the fact that it was right at the end of the festival helped. It seems that it's new student accommodation that has become available during the festival. It appears that this is now becoming quite a popular way for the vast student accommodation houses to make some cash while the students are away.

It was fairly small, but it was fine for me. It was clean. There is no blanket but fitted sheet and duvet. They do however provide you with a towel, yay! This was not was I was expecting. I stayed at some student accommodation last year for the festival and it was no where near as nice as this. It was warm and the kitchen was clean. Basically you have an ensuite room in a small apartment. The kitchen is shared and there is some couches but I didn't actually hang out there at all. There is also a common room apparently in the basement, but as I was at the fringe most nights out I didn't go in there at all. I think it helped that I didn't have many flatmates so everyone was quiet. But I imagine perhaps at the height of the fringe the door slamming could get a bit annoying.

The reception is only open during certain times so you need to make sure that you get there on time. There is an out of hours contact number but I didn't use it at all. The location is good. It's slightly to the west of the old town, but I quite liked it wasn't quite right on the grassmarket. It can get very noisy there. It was within easy walking reach of everything you needed. There's also a sainsbury's supermarket just down the street.

Overally, I thought it was good value fringe accommodation.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled solo