“Quality food & family friendly”
Review of The Skylark

The Skylark
Ranked #813 of 2,609 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: European
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 3, 2013

I visited The Skylark with my baby and partner. The food was delicious and the portions are generous (a wee bit pricey though). The restaurant is open, bright with a retro feel. We felt really welcome as a family and will visit again.

2  Thank FrancesK33

Reviewed June 27, 2013

The Skylark has become a regular feature for me most Wednesdays (I've got a weekly Taiko drumming class in Porty in case you were wondering) and has done so simply because it's really good at what it does. The food is really simple, but with decent ingredients you can't go wrong. Last night I nabbed some of the last king prawn skewers, and halloumi skewers, both of which served with a fresh green salad. My father-in-law meanwhile went for the croque monsieur, which is large, filling and tasty (and one of the regulars on the menu - there is a chalkboard with loads of different daily specials).

The room itself is nice and bright, not huge, but comfortable (and oh so trendy with exposed brick and steel girders). The small bar is well-stocked, for beer especially, but the whisky selection, while small, is a decent cross-section. Wines are reasonably priced, and its nice that you can get little individual glass pots that give you a couple of standard glasses in one.

Yeah, so sometimes the service can be slow(ish), but it's a place to kick back and relax, and everything appears to be cooked fresh, and personally I'd rather wait for that. Added to that the staff are immensely friendly and helpful. All of which means that despite a weekly visit it never gets boring (and I've not had the same meal twice).

Oh, and worth mentioning the cakes. Oh the cakes. They are absolutely superb, from brownies to strawberry tarts. Just try them. And the bread and butter pudding (yes, it's so good that it tempts away from the righteous path of gluten-freeness that I should generally be following....)

1  Thank anthbike
Reviewed May 28, 2013

This is a relatively new place, minutes from my house, so we have been a couple of times. They have pitched the decor well, and it's quite welcoming.

However as my husband and I are both vegetarians we struggled to find something to eat the second time (first time was just an afternoon coffee). We ended up sharing a lovely platter of nibbles, but not quite what we'd expected to be the only veggie offering - unless you want a toastie for a dinner out!

The menu would need to improve for us to return, unless it was just for a coffee. If it did; we'd give it another try.

Reviewed May 27, 2013

I visited The Skylark for the second time yesterday (a quiet, Sunday lunchtime) with friends and family. My first visit (two Mums, two babies) was very nice; good food, good service. Yesterday was a big disappointment. Really awful customer service; no table despite reservation, completely uninterested staff, constantly having to prompt staff to take orders, clear dishes for next courses etc, a forty minute wait for food (this didn't go down well with anyone but particularly two of our party who had just run a leg of the marathon), a missing main course... It was like Fawlty Towers from beginning to end, but sadly without the comedy. Oh, the food was good. Don't think I'll be back though.

7  Thank SFGAnderson
Reviewed May 2, 2013

We went there a week ago. Despite it being quiet we had to go to the bar to ask for a drink, 10 minutes after the waitress seated us. The menu looked nice but my African lamb with couscous came with an extra - a long dark hair artfully draped over the plate/meal. Yuck! The waitress was very apologetic but you'd have thought she would have noticed before she served it? We won't be back :(

8  Thank Lynn M