“pre-theatre menu is great value for money”
Review of Edinburgh Larder Bistro - CLOSED

Edinburgh Larder Bistro
Cuisines: Scottish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: West End
Description: "Fresh, bright, and delicious" The Edinburgh Larder Bistro on Alva Street at the west end corner of Prince’s Street, with its light interior and conservatory, is the ideal place to enjoy seasonal, Scottish food! The Edinburgh Larder team works closely with local farmers, fishmongers, fruit, vegetable and drinks suppliers to bring you the best of local Scottish produce. With a regularly changing seasonal menu and daily market specials, you will experience the delicious flavours of the Scottish countryside.The buzzy atmosphere of The Edinburgh Larder Bistro is the perfect ambience to unwind as you clear your plate of daily specials and menu favourites, and quench your thirst - try one of the incredible botanical drinks produced in Scotland (Edinburgh Gin and Pincer Vodka are our favourites!); Scotch malt whiskies; or Scottish brewed beers. There's a range of carefully selected wines and fizz - we specialise in sourcing interesting bottles from small artisan vineyards, and we make our own cordials, and serve Edinburgh-based Artisan Roast coffees and Eteaket teas.
Reviewed May 11, 2013

A simple place that prides itself for reliance on good ingredients. Of course you'd expect it from all dining establishments, but at these prices it is very remarkable. And, rather generous portions too.

The menu is short (good sign) and there is plenty to choose - when we visited the wild garlic was the flavour of the month, so we had it in a white leek soup. Mussels were plump and nicely done, and the leg of duck with barley and cabbage cooked perfectly and very nice. Do leave room for the cheeses!

It is a bistro: so service is very friendly though not necessarily very competent (they have to ask the kitchen), but very willing to help.
If you fan

2  Thank show_me_the_dosh
Johan2702, Owner at Edinburgh Larder Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Thanks so much for your lovely review. It is great to receive such positive feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back in the near future. Cheers, The Edinburgh Larder Bistro Team

Reviewed May 11, 2013

We had a lunch here at the weekend to celebrate my dad's birthday. They were quiet for a Saturday and this was quite strange given the reviews as I expected it to be a lot busier. The bistro is bright and you quickly forget you are below street level.

The waitress was friendly with an excellent understanding of the menu answering all our questions from some fussy eaters. Both waitresses on service had a good balance of allowing us to relax and enjoy our meal and checking if we required anything. If you are in a hurry this maybe a negative but for people who prefer to relax, talk and enjoy a meal as we were this was a definite plus.

We had the lunch menu and the food uses traditional Scottish ingredients. The soup was lovely with a generous portion of fresh garlic which me and my mother loved. The duck was moist and fell off the bone with everyone else enjoying their selections. The food was well presented and managed to satisfy all tastes in the group, which can take some effort. There was a noticeable delay between ordering and getting the starter and it was worth the wait. The second course was quicker and allowed time to digest the starter. A suggestion for the restaurant would be to offer bread to people while waiting for the starter.

They were quiet at lunch and as this was our first visit I am not sure if this is a common occurrence and feel it does them a disservice. If you want a leisurely lunch with friends or family then come here.

Overall we had a lovely time and will be back.

1  Thank ecossetraveller1745
edinburghlarder, Public Relations Manager at Edinburgh Larder Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Hello there,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write us such a nice review. The team are delighted to hear that all of your party were satisfied with their choices of dishes.

I have passed on your feedback regarding bread needing served and slow delivery of starters. We will do our best to ensure that we make the necessary changes to fix these issues.

We hope to see you again soon, and hope that you enjoyed the rest of the birthday celebrations! :)

All the best,

Reviewed May 7, 2013

Comfortable seating. Friendly student waitresses. Interesting menu that falls in between the posh nosh at the Mulroy up the road and a reasonably priced pub meal. The potato cake with duck egg was not bad, but out of its shell you'd need to be an e(gg)xpert to see the difference to a common or garden hen's egg. The place is just ok - has a nice ambience.

Hello there,

Thanks for taking the time to write a review! We're sorry to hear that you felt your experience to be just ok. We have created a new menu this week that I hope you will find to be more exciting. I hope you can come back in to give it a try to see if you enjoy it more than the last.

Thank you very much for your feedback.

All the best,

Reviewed May 1, 2013

Arrived here on the 20th April with a large family of 8 people, and I was the lone veggie, everyone else was meat eaters.

Starters were enjoyed by them all, but everyone else had the pork pie and they weren't too happy with it, you may have heard them in the place mention about it. Mine was fine as I enjoyed mine and my sorbet and ice cream. (I didn't have a starter). But none one else really enjoyed it! I was almost close to crying on my own graduation day deep down. :(

I had been to the cafe before, and I liked what I had there, I thought that was there we was going. Seems like I was the only one who liked the meals both times. If I am down in Edinburgh myself, I will be coming back. Sadly my family won't :(

I had to give the place a low rating as my family had not stopped speaking about it since, I am so sorry.
Janine XX

3  Thank Janine G
edinburghlarder, Public Relations Manager at Edinburgh Larder Bistro, responded to this reviewResponded May 31, 2013

Hi Janine,

Our sincerest apologies that your family did not enjoy their meals at the Bistro. We have since looked into sourcing the problem of our pork pies and made necessary arrangements to ensure that the quality of our dishes are at their best.

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Your feedback is very much appreciated, and we do hope you return soon.

Kindest Regards,

Reviewed April 27, 2013

With 2 courses at £12 and 3 at £15 for the pre-theater menu we worried about the quality of the ingredients. But we shouldn't have. In fact, care in sourcing is a strong point of this place (which is associated with the Slow food movement).

Nothing was fancy, everything was good, prepared with care, with simplicity in a good way, with taste, and with a light hand. Steamed mussels were enhanced by a clever cider sauce, in the same way as a white leek soup (with strong potatoey texture) was transformed by the addition of a little Blue Monday cheese. For mains, a duck with barley and cabbage was simplicity itself, but when the duck is good and nicely cooked, the sauce is light and tasty and the vegetables are good quality, what more can you want at these prices? From the culinary viewpoint, the most interesting dish of the night was a wild garlic and Yukon Gold potato cake with a poached duck egg and cabbage. It was the opposite of stodgy, the duck egg just perfectly cooked adding that touch of lusciousness when broken and running down the cake...The ice-cream selection was limited on the night (just green tea ice cream), so we went for cheeses: one can choose a single type out of three, so we went for Brie and Blue Monday: both were good and in good conditions, but the Blue Monday was served at the right temperature while the Brie was just a little too cold. Also lovely were the accompanying rhubarb chutney and oatmeal biscuits (one again, lightly made).

Tap water is spontaneously provided. Service is super-nice and friendly even if not too well briefed on the food, probably Chef should communicate more with the front of house...

Definitely a return visit is due for the full a la carte menu (which offers also some of the low-cost menu dishes sometimes with additional ingredients).

2  Thank thoughtfuldiner

Hello,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write a review! We're so pleased that you enjoyed the menu and our service! I have spoken to the staff, and we will ensure to make the necessary adjustments to our staff are well briefed on our daily menu, and the temperature of the dishes.

We have updated our current menu today, so we hope you can come back soon to try out the new Spring dishes we have on offer.

All the best, and thanks again.