“Good food, poor service”
Review of Filling Station

Filling Station
Ranked #630 of 2,609 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Description: Filling Station coast to coast American restaurant and bar, has been created by a team of people who genuinely love good quality food, drinks and good times! No doubt you're thinking, well doesn't everybody want that? It's true many people do, but we have genuinely struggled to find somewhere that actually delivers all of these things. So our solution was simple - let's do it ourselves, the result is Filling Station. When it's cooked well using fabulous ingredients, nothing beats authentic American food. Very few can resist a cocktail mixed by a real bartender who knows exactly how to blend flavours to achieve a perfect balance of strong, weak, sharp and sweet
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We called in late at night with a driving urge for hot chocolate with whiskey and were welcomed and served with an excellent drink by Ashlea, a charming Australian. The next morning we returned for breakfast and although the food was good the service was uncaring, slow and worst of all unapologetic when we pointed out that we were overcharged on the bill - is there a more annoying thing? Confidence destroyed I doubt we will return.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,339)

Reviewed April 6, 2013

I visited with two of my friends. The food was pretty good, drinks were a bit too pricey though. The waiter, JJ I think, was quick, polite and what surprise what he knew the menu by heart. I'd totally recommend this place.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

We saw the sign outside offering a 2 course deal and thought that we would give it a go. We were seated promptly. Our drinks order was taken and served quickly. The waitress was very friendly and efficient. It was fairly packed but we did not have to wait too long for the food.

The food was not as hot as I would have liked, but otherwise was fairly tasty. One of the dessert choices was Cherry crumble with hot custard and ice cream. The custard was served cold which spoiled it a bit!

My biggest complaint was the state of the gents toilet. One of the urinals was overflowing and the floor was wet. The cistern lid was smashed in two and there were sheets of toilet paper over the floor in both cubicals. I could not see a sign to indicate when the toilet was last checked - I presume that they had not been. The toilets were a disgrace. I mentioned this to the waitress who said that she would get it sorted right away. I also filled in a comment card and mentioned all of these items. I included my email address, but have yet to hear from The Filling Station.

Overall, I think that the food was okay - I would try another filling station and tell them that I like my food hot. Just don't use the toilets.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

We dined here recently and were not at all impressed. I had the mushroom penne and my husband had the veggie burger. We also had the garlic bread to start. The pasta as only just edible, it was overcooked and bland, not enjoyable. There was zero ambience because the place was huge. On a plus the service was good, and all the staff were very friendly.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

Looked ok from the outside, so decided to go in. It took ages to get our drinks order taken and for the drinks to arrive (which they did after asking). We ordered from the specials menu, which seemed good value - how wrong. My appetiser of skins was cold and bland. My husband's mushrooms were coated in a thick, greasy tasteless batter. I returned the skins and they were removed from the bill. The main of cheeseburger was no better. Gristly burger and cold fries. Would not recommend.