“Would like to try again”

Michael Neave's Kitchen and Whisky Bar
Ranked #28 of 2,460 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: European, British, Scottish
Good for: Bar scene, Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: Old Town
London, United Kingdom
“Would like to try again”
Reviewed June 6, 2013 via mobile

Went last as was on a business trip. Very very quiet and I guess it's the kind of place that needs a crowd in it to not make you feel uncomfortable as a single diner. A fairly cold dining space, seems to be missing sonething. Staff nice, not overbearing and efficient. Some of the food was beautiful- the raspberry soufflé and the home made shortbread and petit fours, excellent. The starter and main course were not great in presentation, green beans a little burnt and certainly the steak not seasoned well albeit good quality.

Definetly worth another go and maybe need company next time. Well priced and 10 out of 10 for wine and a bright young chef going solo and attempting to make a mark in a great city.

Windsor, United Kingdom
“Great Restaurant, Very Welcoming”
Reviewed June 6, 2013

I used Michael Neave's restaurant for a team dinner. The restaurant was incredibly flexible and chose to open on a Monday especially for me and my 13 guests. We had a pre-dinner Whiskey tasting session that was expertly delivered by Kostas. We followed with a great 3 course dinner with just enough of a Scottish flavour to make the food memorable. The standard of food and service was impeccable and my guests from around Europe agreed that this was a highlight of their visit.

Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Amazing”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

Went to Michael Neave last night and it was amazing.

I can't really add any more other than you must go here!!

Cardiff
“Great food at affordable prices”
Reviewed June 5, 2013

This is a great new restaurant in the heart of Edinburgh. The service was excellent, and so was the food, at prices that were not expensive at all for the quality. We went with a group of friends so I got to sample a few dishes. I particulalry liked the scallops with celeriac puree and black pudding (starter) and the raosted duck breast with courgette pancake (main). Desserts were great too (and we could just about fit them in). Hard to believe that the eponymous chef is only 22 years old!

• Visited May 2013
London, England, United Kingdom
“Perfect!”
Reviewed June 3, 2013

I had dinner with my boyfriend here Saturday night and we had a quick look at where it was during the day and it was walking distance from our hotel. It is down quite a steep cobbled hill, tucked away and looks quite small from the outside so we were debating whether to go somewhere else for dinner. We decided to stick with it in the end, and i'm glad we did! We got dressed up and have a lovely evening. We had a drink at the bar first which is upstairs and then got taken downstairs to our table. The waitress took our order while we were at the bar so we didn't have to wait long when we sat down. You get complimentary bread on arrival which is a nice touch and we ordered a bottle of prosecco. The food was lovely and good value. I had the duck for my main while my boyfriend had steak.....and there were clean plates after. The staff are very nice and welcoming and there was a very calm and relaxed atmosphere in the restaurant. I also spotted Michael Neave on the way to the loo! Overall, it was a perfect evening and I would return.