“Nice wee hotel”

Piries Hotel
Ranked #133 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
“Nice wee hotel”
Reviewed October 16, 2013

Stayed here last night with my mum and brother very surprised after reading reviews, people at reception couldn't have been more helpful even giving us detailed maps to get round the roadworks. When we go to our room which was in a building a few doors down (meaning you have your own front door) anyway our room was massive, beds were comfy the place was clean and the bathroom was pretty new, it wasn't to noisy which I expected being pretty near to the centre, breakfast the next day was as advertised continental did the job, our only complaint was that there wasn't enough milk and sugar for three people in the room but I'm sure if I got off my bum and asked reception for more they would have supplied it overall a nice friendly hotel.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Ebony85
Khaledibrahim, General Manager at Piries Hotel, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at Piries Hotel, Edinburgh

I am delighted to learn that your experience at Piries was excellent.

Your comment regarding the sugar &milk have been point out to the housekeeping to ensure there is sufficient for 3 guests

Once again thank you and hope we can welcome you in near future

Khaled Ibrahim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (76)
  • Greek first
nignotwill
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I have recently returned from staying at the Piries Hotel for 2 nights from 9 to 11 October 2013. It was absolutely great. I travelled with a group of 10 people and we all had twin rooms. They were not huge in size but clean and comfortable and just right for our stay. Upon arrival i was greeted by a very helpful Lithuanian member of staff who could not have been more helpful. She even remembered that i was the one who wanted an iron in my room as requested by email the night before when i realised i would be squeezing my clothes into a very small case.

The breakfast was good - it consisted of a range of cereals, fruit, cheeses, croissants, ham etc and was a welcome change from the greasy fry ups os often offered. The range of coffees available was also good and i had my fair share of expressos to keep me awake from the previous late nights out in the main square.

What was most impressive was when the ten of us returned to the hotel in the early hours and the night duty staff (a very polite Spanish guy) was happy to serve us drinks at the bar and he also prepared some paninis. The drinks and the food were not expensive and for the record we were not a rowdy load of drunks just simply a group of workmates that fancied having a night cap.

A superb hotel and one that i would definitely recommend to others.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank nignotwill
Khaledibrahim, General Manager at Piries Hotel, responded to this review, October 15, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for taking the time and comments on your recent stay at Piries Hotel, Edinburgh

I am delighted that your stay with us was enjoyable

Looking forward to have the opportunity to welcome you again in near future

Kind regards

Munich, Germany
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We have spent one night in the Piries in Edinburgh from Saturday 28th September until Sunday 29th September 2013 - we have booked before reading some reviews and have been a little bit worried after reading a lot of comments here.

But we have made a complete different experience.
We arrived at the hotel and the first contact with the staff was helping me with my heavy luggage at the stairs. Generally the staff was very friendly and helpful - showed us on a map how to get to the bus and the city centre. As well we have been explained everything we needed for our stay in a detailed and friendly way.

The room was small - yes, but as we just wanted to have a clean room and a clean bathroom which we had - so this was perfect for us. The shower was not just a little cabin there was a lot of space and everything was well working and clean. Ok, bath mats included in the price would make the hotel perfect.

The beds have been comfortable and we slept very well - we had a quiet room - no noise from outside disturbed our night.

So we have been really surprised as we did expect a "little shop of horror" after a lot of bad reviews here. Our experience with this hotel was very good.
Yes. of course, it is not the Hilton or the Marriott - but it is a nice and proper facility to stay. Value for money is absolutely perfect. And the location near the city centre (only 2 stations with the Bus 100) is great.

We enjoyed our stay in the Piries hotel and we will definitely return to the Piries during our next visit in Edinburgh.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at Piries hotel, Edinburgh

I am delighted that your stay with us was enjoyable

Looking forward to welcome you once again in near future

Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 21, 2013

To be honest I was a little worried when I read some other reviews about this hotel but the price and its location near the train station could not be beat... the only other hotel in the area for a similar price of a room at Piries Hotel didn't came with a window (I'm not a fan of sleeping in glorified closets).
I was quite surprised by my stay. Great night sleep, the bed was far more comfortable than the hotel I had stayed in the night before, the room was clean and quiet, and the shower was fantastic- Very clean, obviously recently renovated and had one of those awesome heads that you can just kind of stand under and its like you are showering in rain. The staff were great- they were helpful and had no issue with my 1 am check in. Tea and coffee in the room was a bonus.

The hotel is spread out over a couple of neighbouring units, its just a matter or walking out one door and into the next. I saw the bike locked on the stairs that has been discussed in other reviews... Its a decent bike, of course they locked it up, wouldn't you? A secured bike shouldn't instantly degrade the value of a hotel to a slum hole.

Anyways, I liked it but I'm also not some sort of city slickin yuppie looking for a slice of gold in a reasonably priced 3 star hotel.... its a 3 star hotel and acts like one. Though I'd personally give it a higher grade. - If you're searching for negatives I'd say the carpets are a bit worn/aged, as well as some of the decor in the main areas of the sub-building we were in.

Room Tip: We had a double room (Room 40) so its the only room I can vouch for
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank pea_ham
Khaledibrahim, General Manager at Piries Hotel, responded to this review, September 26, 2013

Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at The Piries Hotel, Edinburgh

I am delighted that Piries was more than adequate for your needs during your visit to Edinburgh

Once again thank you and I hope we can welcome you in near future to extend our hospitality further

Regards

miami, fl
Reviewed September 11, 2013

We stayed in the Piries Hotel during the time of the Tattoo in 2013. We really did not have very many places to chose from and would not have stayed here if there had been a bigger choice. That being said, it was fine. Nothing fancy but quite comfortable. The room was huge, the bathroom small. The room was clean and the beds were comfortable but soft. Teh breakfast was not memorable (since i am writing this and can't remember it). My husband says it was sparse. The main thing I didn't like about it was that it was pretty far away from Princes Street or the Castle although we did walk to both. As an aside, one of the main front desk people (named Theodore) was by far the rudest clerk we have ever encountered in a hotel. We aren't very hard to please, or big complainers, but he was awful.

Room Tip: If you don't like staying on the theird floor without an elevator, you might say so when you boo...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank beisenbp
Khaledibrahim, General Manager at Piries Hotel, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments and feedback on your recent stay at Piries hotel, Edinburgh

Please accept my apology for the experience you had with the staff member which I can assure you this is not a common practice within Piries team

Meanwhile, I will be writing to you in person with more details on overall stay

Once again thank you for your time addressing the issues and I am positive that we can as a team to overcome them

Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 6, 2013

Needed some where to stay in Edinburgh for a couple of nights. Booked this months ago.

Nearer the time I looked at some of the reviews and had that feeling of impending doom I had that time I stayed at the Days Inn at junction 8a of the M40!

A lot of very very derogatory reviews made me dread the 375 mile journey to our hotel.

On arrival we were greeted by a number of friendly efficient staff (one even prevented me getting a parking ticket when I was checking in). We stayed in building 4, which is next door to the main hotel/reception.

Having climbed the stairs, you are greeted by a communal kitchen/dining area. Yes there is a bicycle chained to the banisters, which seemed to upset fellow reviewer warring so much. But this is Edinburgh, if you go into any of the blocks of apartments this is common.

The room we had was Number 41, good size, at the back of the hotel so very quiet at night. While the decor wasn't the best, and by that my only criticism was that when painting the feature wall they didn't use a lot of masking tape......just my OCD kicking in three! The curtains were amazing, best blackout curtains I've ever seen, genuinely considered nicking them as I work nights and they would be great for my bedroom.

Bathroom was clean and modern with a really good shower.

Now I'll admit that we didn't really use the facilities at the hotel as we were out all day, and I can kind of see where some of the other reviewers are coming from...... But from my experience, if you're looking for a relatively cheap, honest, clean hotel near to Edinburgh city centre you can't go far wrong with this.

I know a lot of people have complained about the noise from the streets, but can you really blame the hotel owners for the fact that their victorian/Georgian buildings were built in densely populated areas.

Folks all I can say is I would be happy to stay there again, if you want to stay in a Palace, Holyrood isn't far away, try there.

Room Tip: The hotel seems to be spread through 3-4 town houses, we were in the one marked number 4. We had...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Khaledibrahim, General Manager at Piries Hotel, responded to this review, September 16, 2013
Dear Guest

Thank you for your comments on your recent stay at Piries Hotel, Edinburgh..

I am glad that you have had an enjoyable stay with us and the curtains were the gem..

Once again thank you and looking forward to welcome you in near future

Regards

Reviewed August 28, 2013

I have never been to a hotel where you have to request a bath mat and there are no hand towels. The whole place was shabby and dingy and the staff were either unhelpful or had zero touristic knowledge. Extremely poor value for money and a bad experience overall. Edinburgh is stunning though.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you for your comments on your stay at Piries Hotel, Edinburgh. I apologize for your bad experience with us but I must say this is not our approach to guest or to our business

Bath mats are available 24hours on request(as per note in each room).this is part of our Green policy

Piries Hotel is classified as 3 stars so all rooms are maintained under this category

I hope we can welcome you once again in near future to allow us to do better

Khaled Ibrahim

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels