“Beautiful house, great breakfasts, friendly hosts”

Strathallan Guest House
Ranked #60 of 444 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Fife Scotland
“Beautiful house, great breakfasts, friendly hosts”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2010

We only stayed overnight but have to say room was comfortable and clean, up Sunday morning and was greeted by the owners who were very friendly and couldn;t do enough for you, very good value for money for the room and the breakfast which was very filling
Would stay there again if staying in Edinburgh

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Curlywhirl9

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
North Haven, CT
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 10, 2010

We found a note on the door and since we did not have a cell phone, we had to find somewhere to call from. The phone on the corner was broken so we had to go to a pub and borrow a phone. After that, the room was large, bright and clean, so was the bathroom. It was quiet. A bit far from the royal mile but very close to our favorite restaurnt Hewat's. All in all, a good bargin. Mass transit easy to find and the cab service was not over priced.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
littlelorna13
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2010

Stayed at the guest house for a few days as visiting the sights in Edinburgh. Found the service very friendly, the breakfasts were very tasty and service was lovely. Our room had an ensuite and the rooms were serviced every day so it was always clean and tiday. The owner was kind enough to give us some bus fare to Princess Street on our last day as we didn't have any change. I would definitiely recommned The Strathallan Guest House to anyone visiting Edinburgh.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank littlelorna13
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 27, 2010

It is a traditional house with large windows and high ceilings. Clean rooms and great service. The landlord is very friendly and helpful.The breakfast was great, also vegetarian options available.
The house is located close to the city cente (walking distance).

• Stayed July 2010
Scotland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 28, 2009

I wasn't put off staying here after reading previous reviews and have to say really enjoyed my stay, was pleasantly surprised by the building and its history, size of rooms, cleanliness, breakfast, willing to please hosts and was thoroughly dissapointed not to find a pair of pants in the corner of my room!

C'mon folks, you get what you pay for. Here I got more: £35 per night for a single room, I ended up with a double with a dormer window afording a splendid roof-top view of Newington. The bed was very comfortable with clean sheets and the en-suite was immaculate.

OK, so the carpets were a little jaded and the kettle hadn't been used on account of dust on the lid but this place did what it said on the tin and the host explained that the place was in line for a refurb.

Finally, off-street parking is a must in Edinburgh (esp if you have new car syndrome like I did) which Strathallan provided and the host allowed me to park during the next day.

If i'm ever back in this part of Edinburgh, I will definately consider staying here again.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled with friends
1 Thank Djembe1
Swansea, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 9, 2008

I largely had a very pleasant stay for a night in this guest house. I was greeted by someone who turned out not to be the owner. He showed me straight to my bedroom, which was small, but had everything I needed. The guest house advertised that it had free wireless access, so I went back down to ask how to get onto this (there being no instructions in my room). The person I spoke to didn't know, but said I could ask the owner when he came back later. I didn't want to keep going out to check whether he had returned, so didn't get on the web in the end.

I had a very good night's sleep in a very comfy bed - all sheets clean etc etc, and the area seemed quite quiet (I was out the back, rather than on the main road). I had a shower when I got up in the morning. This was bizarre. While the room was clean, the shower base had quite a lot of hair in it. Moreover, the shower and shower fitting was lying in a pile in the base. Before having my shower, I had to build it!!! This took 5 minutes. But it wasn't exactly difficult - I did wonder why this hadn't been done before letting me go into the room!

I met the owner at breakfast and he was extremely friendly and cooked a great full breakfast. I'd consider going back there again, but would make more of an issue of the cleanliness etc if it was a problem another time.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Italy
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2008

The room was very clean, quiet and with en suite bathroom. house holder were friendly and helpful. very good breakfast, buffet for continental and coocked scottish . five minutes walk to Festival Theatre, 15 to Royal Mile. Bus stops just in front of B&B.
realy Worth for price

• Liked — cleaness, quiet, closness to city centre
  • Disliked — ?
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled on business
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)