“Great atmosphere, lovely food.”
Review of The Southern

The Southern
Ranked #499 of 2,566 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: American, Barbecue
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Southside & Holyrood
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I have now visited this place a few times and I have really enjoyed it each time. The staff are very friendly, the food tasty and very reasonable and the atmosphere is just great.

Reviewed February 19, 2013

I'm already a firm fan of the Holyrood 9A and their burgers, so thought The Southern, as part of the chain, would be a safe bet. The menu is the same, however I just found everything to be a poorer version of the 9A. Most notable was a distinct lack of generosity compared with the 9A; smaller serving of chips; a stingy amount of guacamole in the burger; a rather watery coleslaw. The service was still friendly, however I won't be returning when I know there is better fare elsewhere.

Reviewed February 15, 2013

I recently went on a hunt for the best burgers in Edinburgh, and The Southern is my winner. Delicious, well cooked burgers, with interesting topping combinations. Every element of the burger works, and I've never had a bad one. On top of that, this is a great beer drinkers bar, with a rotating selection of interesting beers to choose from. The atmosphere and style makes this a nice place to hang out.

Reviewed February 10, 2013

Came here on a very cold snow-ridden night when I was staying near by and didn't have the stamina to walk all the way into the city centre.
It is a modern but characterful decor with really nice (also attractive) staff :)
The meals are served in a novel, rustic way, and were really enjoyable.

Reviewed February 2, 2013

...but definitely avoid the food!!
Visited here last night for a bite to eat and catch up with friends.
The setting and atmosphere was really good.
The food was pretty bad.
I had nachos, and asked if the dips came on the side. After the bar maid assured me they did, I was a bit disappointed it came smothered in salsa.
Not to be a moaner, I just got on with it. Really wish I'd sent them back....but then noone came back to check how the meal was...
The salsa was like thick, sticky sweet sauce, similar to something you might find in a chinese restaurant, really disgusting on nachos, cloying and the taste sticks in your mouth. Yuck.
The nachos were brick hard with the cheese being baked in to the point of ridiculousness.
Nachos are fairly simple...
My friends didn't enjoy their burgers, so while we will be going back for a drink, it will probably just be the one then off to somewhere else for food.
Shame, really.