“TOP QUALITY B&B”

Canadale Guest House
Ranked #145 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 9, 2014

Our company has used this delightful B&B for some years now. Staff from the UK and Europe have all gone through the doors and enjoyed every minute of their stay. Isabelle and Harry (the owners) put the guests at ease with their warm and welcoming ways. Their knowledge of Edinburgh is invaluable for visitors, from where to go, how to get there, if they dont know, they will find out for you. The rooms are certainly a home from home.

I have not reviewed before as I had not stayed, but I recently spent 2 nights at 'Craigmoss' and can definitely recommend it. It is well located and provides a great base to explore the city. Isabelle makes you feel most welcome and Harry serves a great selection of mouth watering breakfasts. Craigmoss is furnished to a high standard and my bed was extremely comfortable. Fresh milk and tea/coffee making facilities were also provided.

I would'nt hesitate to recommend Craigmoss to anyone for a comfortable stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed January 4, 2014

We stayed here over the New Year period and were very impressed by facilities and the warmth of the owners. From great breafasts, to daily cleaning and letting us in at 5am when we'd forgotten our key! By far one of the best B n B's I've stayed in. The bus stop is directly opposite which goes straight to town (although only a 20 minute walk) and just 2 minutes from shops and restaurants. Would recommend to anyone looking for a homely feel. We were 4 girls and stayed in the family room.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 3, 2014

Owners were very warm and welcoming, gave us lots of info in terms of how to get about and things to see. We were a group of 4 girls in Edinburgh for New Years and had the best time would definitely come back and i highly recommend staying at this B&B :)

• Stayed: December 2013
Reviewed January 3, 2014

We had booked a family room for 4 people for two nights. The welcome was very cold and unfriendly, we were just given the keys to the room and house.No lifts and assistance for the luggage. The room was small and cold. The central heating was switched off most of the time and when requested for an additional heater we were just told that it will get warmer. The breakfast was below standard. I had a hair in my porridge and there was no apologies or anything and got it back with lots of syrup, not sure if it was changed . The room was below standard and for the price charged it would have been better to rent two rooms in budget hotel like IBIS. Our choice for this type of accommodation was to experience a British style hospitality and was disappointed. Overall poor hospitality and I would not recommend it as a place to stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
Craigmoss, Owner at Canadale Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded January 6, 2014

I am sorry these people say they did not enjoy their stay. What they failed to point out in their review is they cancelled the first night of a two night booking the evening they were due to arrive. When they came to pay their bill they were informed they would be charged for the night they cancelled. They became extremely unhappy about this. They had agreed to the terms and conditions of the booking and the cancellation was chargeable. We were very helpful and provided a letter for their insurance company. The other issues re the heating, we turned it up for them, we apologised for the hair in the porridge and they were given a large four bed family room so we are surprised they thought it small. They were a very nice family and we got on well with them so we were very surprised to read this review.

Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for Hogmanmay 2013 and it was wonderful! Issabelle and Harry looked after us as if we were their own (all bit it slightly dysfunctional) daughters. Very friendly, helpful, warm and welcoming. Thanks for everything from varied breakfast requests to filling up hot water bottles!! See you for Fringe!!

Stayed: January 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I booked a stay at this guest house for one night using booking.com. Immediately after booking I received a call from an extremely rude woman who demanded that I cancel my booking as the price was a mistake. I said I would need to take it up with booking.com and she hung up the phone.

After over a week of discussing this with booking.com they told me that the guest house was refusing to honour the price, instead suggesting that I accept a rate of three times the original price, and that they (booking.com) felt that the guest house management were within their rights to do this and so cancelled my booking three days before I was due to stay.

I would avoid this guest house and booking.com completely.

Room Tip: Avoid this guest house completely.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Craigmoss, Owner at Canadale Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded January 8, 2014

This gentleman booked a room with us through an on line booking company. When the booking came in we realised that a mistake had been made as a rate of £10.00 had been quoted instead of a rate of £70.00. The guest was contacted by my wife and she explained the error. She was very pleasant on the phone but did say the guest was unhappy. We contacted the on line booking company re the matter to explain the situation and as a gesture of goodwill and to acknowledge the error we imediately offered a room rate of £30.00. The guest was contacted several times re this offer but we had no response for over a week. When eventually we did get a response a few days before he was due to arrive he refused our offer. Under the terms and conditions of the booking with this company if a price is a misprint or misquoted the booking is invalid which in these circumstances it was and the company cancelled the booking. We apologise for any inconvenience caused and are sorry this situation was not amicably resolved.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

We often stay at this comfortable, friendly family run guest house when we visit Edinburgh. It is very central with on street parking and only a short walk or bus journey to the centre of the city. We found our room very comfortable and quiet and had a good nights sleep after a long day Christmas shopping in Edinburgh and a show at the Festival Theatre. Enjoyed a scrummy breakfast full Scottish breakfast for my husband and the healthier option for myself. Harry and Isabelle offer a home from home which is why we always return here to stay.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple