“Superb”

Canadale Guest House
Ranked #146 of 394 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Couldn't have asked for much more. Excellent value with clean and cosy rooms, which are also well equipped. Lovely breakfast first thing in the morning provided by welcoming hosts. Would absolutely stay again if we are across in Edinburgh for any period of time - thank you again for your hospitality!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed in Craigmoss guest house for two nights with our two westies. A lovely place in such a quite neighborhood and big park just down the road where we walked our dogs. Room was very clean, bed was comfty, good breakfast menu, I ate scrambled egg with smoked scottish salmon, it was so tasty! B&B location great, bus stop just right outside B&B.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 26, 2012

We travel to Scotland regularly to play golf and usually do not spend any time in Edinburgh. For this trip, we decided to spend our first and last night in Edinburgh for a change and LOVED the hospitality at Craigmoss Guest House! Thank you, Isabelle and Harry, for making the start and finish of our holiday warm and comfortable. The rooms were wonderful and the breakfasts were absolutely delicious! And, a double thank you for scoring a table reservation for our final dinner at Vittoria's!

Reviewed September 19, 2012

Thank you Isabelle & Harry for providing a lovely space for our overnight stay in Edinburgh. Quality was top notch, from the service to the room (the beds were firm & comfortable), to the perfectly cooked breakfast. I will recommend your B&B to anyone wanting to stay in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 15, 2012

We returned to this wonderful Guest House for a second visit and yet again were not disappointed ! Harry and Isabelle Taylor are the perfect hosts - getting the balance right between being warm and helpful yet not wanting to intrude on our break away. Cleanliness of rooms second to none, as is the wonderful breakfast. Nothing is too much trouble. We will return again.

1  Thank JessiefraeAberdeen
Reviewed September 12, 2012

This place was a gem, just like the lovely hospitable couple that run it...harry and Isabelle.When we arrived exhausted after our journey..we felt like we had just arrived home due to the greeting,and the general warmth and ambiance.We stayed here for two nights and were very comfortable,the room was clean and well appointed and breakfast was abundant and very tasty indeed.For future trips to Edinburgh we will definately be booking into this B&B..

1  Thank jenny b
Reviewed September 4, 2012

My fiancée had kindly treated me to a night in Edinburgh . He chose 'Craigmoss Guest House' due to the great reviews on TripAdvisor. However, we were sadly disappointed due to a number of reasons:

1) When we were greeted it was an abrupt 'hello, here are your keys, I'll show you to your room and you must fill out this form to inform us what you want for your breakfast and leave it on the desk downstairs'. Her tone/attitude was distanced and we did not feel welcome.

2)When we returned downstairs with our 'breakfast page', we left it on the table as requested. We wanted to ask a few questions about Edinburgh and general questions about our stay such as parking and time of breakfast however,the host was nowhere to be seen.

3) we woke up during the night at around 1:30 am when the door bell rang due to a late check in of another couple!

4)The next morning we arrived downstairs for breakfast at 9:15am. We approached the 'private area' to let her know we were waiting. She came out to us and sternly said to us whilst looking at her watch "Breakfast finishes at 8:45am". My fiancée explained that we did not know our breakfast time and we felt that 9:15 was a reasonable time to come for breakfast. She simply argued and coldly said that it was written on the breakfast sheet she gave us. We were shocked at her attitude and did not argue further. She may have been right by telling us it was on our breakfast sheet however she did not HIGHLIGHT THIS to us prior to ordering breakfast as ANY HOST WOULD DO!

5)On checking out she simply said "£65 cash or card?". We handed her the money (as we were on holidays, we didn't to be upset and I believe that my fiancée did want an embarrassing situation as it was his treat to me and so paid the money and went. She did not say, 'good bye, have a nice trip/safe trip' simply NOTHING.

I am simply shocked at her attitude. We have stayed in many b&bs/guesthouses and hotels and have never come across such rudeness. We did not feel welcome at all in Craigmoss Guest house and cannot understand how there are so many good reviews about this place. I'm guessing that the host feels the internet has done her work for her and she does not need to make any more effort in hosting her guests!

Had I thought the time I would have argued that how come 'check in can happen at any time of day or night but your refusing us breakfast at 9:15am?'

For us it's very important to feel welcome in a guest house rather than the actual physical things like furniture etc. however, since this host was not so welcoming I would like to highlight some other issues which other people may find important: upon walking in through the main door there is a mouldy smell in the hall. (I know it's an old house but the smell is not that appealing). As for the room, we were put in the attic room (top floor) where there is no head room above the bed as the bed is placed where there is a slant were the roof meets the wall (so mind your head when getting up!). The bed itself is not technically a double bed but rather a large single bed. Luckily me and my fiancée are a petite couple!

Room Tip: Avoid top floor room Be aware that check-ins happen at any time of night so you could be woken up...
3  Thank smurf-DAWG
Craigmoss, Owner at Canadale Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2012

I am very sorry that this guest did not enjoy there stay at our guest house. I was on holiday the weekend this guest stayed and I can only apologise for the manager we had in. It is not like her as she is a lovely woman but we will discuss this review with her. I can only think that the late check in gave her a bad nights sleep but I do appreciate that this is no excuse. I am sorry that you did not receive breakfast but the breakfast times are clearly stated on the menu which was filled in and I can only assume it was not properly read. We occasionally have people arriving late for breakfast and we do our best to accommodate this but it is not always possible if the guest house is busy. However I do think some of the comments are a little unfair. The house is an old Victorian house and the rooms on the top floor are not attic rooms, they do have combed cielings and we often receive comments on how charming they are. There are also photographs on our website showing the rooms. The bed is a full size standard double bed. We do not use smaller beds in the guest house. If this guest would like to make contact with us we would like to offer them a complimentary stay to recompense them for there disappointment.