“Classy B&B in Edinburgh”
Review of Ardmor House

Ardmor House
Ranked #85 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 25, 2014

We spent a week at Ardmor House and loved it. We were made to feel at home from the moment we arrived, and enjoyed delicious breakfasts every morning. Our room was very comfortable, with a lot of nice touches, including a heated towel bar, bathrobes, and an electric teakettle. Location is on a quiet street, very convenient for walking and for the city bus, which stops right outside the front door. We had to leave early on our last morning to catch a flight, and Robin packed us a breakfast bag to take along, and arranged our taxi pick-up. Thank you Robin and Alex for helping to make our stay in Edinburgh so lovely! (we also enjoyed playing with Vera the friendly Schnoodle)

Room Tip: Our room was #3 and was very nice and quiet, with a view of the back garden
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank glynnC1951
There are newer reviews for Ardmor House

Reviewed May 19, 2014

This is my choice every time I come to Edinburgh! Excellent location, wonderful amenities, room, service, and food. Robin, the host, is friendly and very helpful in getting you settled in. Ardmor House is truly a home away from home - I can't wait to come back!

Room Tip: There are no "bad" rooms here.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank piperclark
Reviewed April 3, 2014

I stayed two nights at this very fine establishment. When I arrived, my room was thankfully ready after a long flight, but the place was torn up with workers installing new windows. I needed some rest, but thankfully the noise did not bother me and I went out like a light for several hours. The room is attractive and comfortable with modern bathroom fixtures in the 1890 building. SInce I was eight hours off my home time zone, I awoke in the middle of the night, but I was cold in the room when I got up to watch TV or use the computer. The owner, Robin, when I mentioned this, says he turns the heat off at night as guests prefer a cool room when sleeping. I do too, and at home I turn the heat down to 62F, but not off. I guess this is one of the hazards of a B&B, not being able to regulate the heat in own's room. He accommodated me the second night by leaving the heat turned on and I was more comfortable when I again awoke early. Robin was very hospitable, as was his partner Barry, and also the housekeeper. Breakfast is served in the very attractive front room and the selection was surprisingly varied. All in all, I can recommend this B&B.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank EAZELIFF
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Great little B&B conveniently located between the centre of Edinburgh and Leith.
Only a 20 min walk into Princes Street and the Royal Mile (also on a direct and very frequent bus route). We had a very well furnished room (no 3) with a comfy bed, along with a chaise longe looking out over the garden. Welcoming and informative hosts with tasty and filling breakfasts. Vera the dog is also very energetic and friendly!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Andrew R
Reviewed March 10, 2014

Had a few days in Edinburgh and rather than staying in a central hotel, booked a short stay at Ardmor House- so glad I did. Great location with excellent bus connection ( the number 11 practically stops outside the door), though it's also a good walk into the centre of Edinburgh.
Robin was an excellent and informative host and the homemade shortbread and elderflower squash on arrival was a lovely touch.
Very stylish and chic B&B- we had an upstairs room which was huge- the bed was unbelievably comfy and loved lounging on the chaise Longue by the window.

Breakfast room was well set out and choice of continental and cooked food ( one of the best scrambled eggs and smoked salmon I've had in years) puts many top chains to shame- we could have happily grazed for hours!

Add in Vera the absolutely gorgeous schnoodle and Ardmore is a top class establishment- we're already thinking of excuses to go back.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mitchammark
Reviewed March 5, 2014

One is sometimes loathe to write these things lest it results me not being able to get a room in one of my favourite places, but these guys certainly deserve a good write-up. We had a choice for a family trip of a big and faceless hotel with all the amenities like a swimming pool, to keep the kids happy and instead we went for this place and did not once regret it. The rooms were spacious and the beds supremely comfortable. Nice attention to detail and comfort throughout. The location is close enough to the centre, the main Edinburgh sites and near some lovely restaurants. Robin proved a very helpful guide throughout the stay and a mine of useful info. Breakfasts were the very best we have ever had in a hotel, so we skipped lunch each day. The kids fell in love with Vera the dog and smuggled it into the bedroom each day. Overall, well deserving of their Michelin star recognition. We were sad to leave.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank Jonathan W
Reviewed February 15, 2014 via mobile

I stayed as a single traveller on a work trip for two nights. I'm so glad I found Ardmor House, the owner Robin is friendly and helpful and the B&B design is chic and very comfortable.

I had the downstairs room which was cosy and had all the amenities I needed, plus lovely extras like Scottish tablet and biscuits. The bed was very comfortable and I slept really well.

The free wifi is great and Robin is always at hand to answer any questions or help with any local knowledge requests.

Breakfast was a highlight for me, I had the best smoked salmon and scrambled eggs I've ever tasted (thank you Barry). There's plenty to choose from, fresh fruits, home made muffins and cake plus freshly made hot food.

Next time I'm visiting Edinburgh for work or leisure I'll definitely stay at Ardmor House.

• Stayed: February 2014