“Great price for location!”
Review of Ardmillan Hotel

Ardmillan Hotel
Ranked #133 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed September 13, 2011

We stayed at the Ardmillan Hotel on Saturday 10th September. We paid £75 on a room only basis. This was an extremely good price for a Saturday night in the Haymarket area of Edinburgh. Other accommodations of similar facilities in the city were in the region of £140. I booked the room about 10 days before with booking.com. A taxi from the city centre to the hotel at 2am on Sunday morning only cost £5.30.
This is a small family hotel with around 9 bedrooms. We were in room 2 which had a double and single bed. The white linen and towels were spotless. There was a built in wardrobe with lots of coat hangers. There was a small television on the wall and unlike some hotels all the channels were there and with good reception. There was also a radio alarm clock and hairdryer. The room was bright and spacious and the view was overlooking the back of other buildings in the area. This was probably a bonus as some rooms will overlook the road so it was very quiet.
The tea and coffee tray was well stocked with tea, coffee, milk etc. There was also a plentiful supply of biscuits and a dish of mints.
There was no bath only a shower cubicle in the bright ensuite. Toiletries were supplied.
Breakfast could be purchased for £7.95 served until 9.30am but as check out was at 11am we decided not to bother and stay in bed as late as possible as we knew we were going to have a late night. Breakfast had to be requested the evening before which makes sense as probably most visitors use the hotel for the same reason as we did and don’t get up in time for breakfast.
There is a small traditional pub in the hotel with friendly staff and is used by locals so could be noisy as a previous reviewer mentioned, especially if you are an early bedder.
Overall we had a great stay and wouldn’t hesitate to use this hotel again.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Ardmillan Hotel

Reviewed September 3, 2011

Firstly it's a hotel, not a B&B. But it's managed by a family. The staff is helpless and unfriendly. The WIFI signal is too weak to connect in your room. Also the speed is very very slow. I almost can not access any website through their WIFI. When I checked out, they said “they do not have any change", so they got more 70 pence than price. Pay attention. They didn't say any "Sorry". Oh my god, is it a really formal hotel? I left my adapter in my room when I checked out. But when I come back, they said they didn't find it. I ask "where to get a new one". They only said "to get it from costa, but they do not have a city map to show me." I suggest you add this hotel to your black list. I suggest you to pay a little more and stay in other hotels or B&B in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ming L
ArdmillanUddingston, Owner at Ardmillan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2011

Thank-you for your review which I have read carefully and I hope my response is treated with the same courtesy. I am sorry you were not satisfied with your stay but must point out to you and anyone reading this review the mistakes and unfair criticisms you have made.Somewhere in your travels you lost your adapter and I hope you managed to track it down or purchase a new one. You did not leave it in your room or in our hotel otherwise I assure you we would have found it and returned it to you. We pointed you in the direction of a shop minutes away that you did not need a map to find and at no point did you ask for a map? WIFI is available in the public areas only (restaurant and bar) and not in the bedrooms. This is clearly explained in guest information pack and on booking.com the site you booked through.The signal in these public areas is excellent! You open your review by saying this is a hotel not a B&B? I would have thought that would have been quite clear by the name of the property "The Ardmillan Hotel". The staff are very friendly,helpful and respectful and it is a shame you did not accept our hospitality. As regards the lack of coin change on departure for that I apologise and would like to refund the 70 pence to you if you could call the hotel I will reimburse this and also cover the cost of your call. I hope that

Reviewed August 17, 2011

Edinburgh is really expensive in august, and this was one of the cheapest options. We booked a twin room with shared bathroom for one night, but they gave as a triple one. The room and bathroom were confy, clean, with tea/coffee facilities and with a new tv. The staff was really friendly. It is 30 min walk from the center but it is really well comunicated. It didn't have elevator. It is perfect for people who look for a quiet place, for tourism. If you want enjoy night life, it is better to find another place more centrally situated.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 12, 2011

It was very quaint and cozy. The room had a flatscreen satellite television, coffee, tea, and snacks, and a very spacious bathroom. The staff was helpful. However, I apparently only paid a 20% booking fee when I booked online and that was confusing at checkout. The room was way too small for our family, and the receptionist told me my booking was only made for one person and she was very sure about this until I showed her my booking from Priceline which clearly stated it was for two adults and a child (my other child is an infant and could share a bed with the other who is a toddler) so she had to change my room from a single twin to a single standard. I'm not sure if they have larger rooms available for families, but this mixup put us in a pretty small room for the night. The pub was really nice looking and was very lively when we arrived late at night but we didn't go. The breakfast was nice, though the breakfast area was a little run-down and empty, and the receptionist had to cook it herself, it seems like they were short-staffed. But, mixups and breakfast aside, it was a pretty nice hotel for a pretty good price in a pretty central part of Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Confirm your reservation for your group number and do it again before you travel
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed June 20, 2011

Stayed here for two nights while working in Edinburgh and can confidently say I would not recommend this hotel. The room was in need of rennovation, the bed squeaked every time I moved, the shower head was mounted at an almost unbearable angle, and seemed to be unusually hot given the weather - perhaps it was because my room was above the kitchen. I would also emphasise the fact that this is more of a bar with a hotel attached rather than vice-versa, and a good nights sleep is not guarenteed given that kicking out time isn't until the early morning hours. I think I will book my own hotel in the future.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank cdickson20
Reviewed September 24, 2010

Pretty old building, carpet needs some updating. The room was clean and ok, shower was ok, staff and pub nice, very nice breakfast . Catch the bus across the street , 10 minutes to town center.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2010

Stayed here recently for 2 nights , having taken son to start uni .Found a gem. Room very clean , comfortable , well equipped. Small en suite spotless, always hot water available. Staff efficient helpful & genuinely friendly make the place. Good breakfast. Lounge bar , friendly locals & regulars good craic . First evening quiz night and then second evening Scotland football game on telly. Didn't eat there in evening but menu and food looked inviting. 20 minute walk to city centre or 10 mins on regular buses , end of street. Easy to find on way back. Parking was important to me , difficult to find in Edinburgh, was able to park here for free. Will come back with my wife next time.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business