“It was a good hotel for a good price”
Review of Ardmillan Hotel

Ardmillan Hotel
Ranked #133 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed August 12, 2011

It was very quaint and cozy. The room had a flatscreen satellite television, coffee, tea, and snacks, and a very spacious bathroom. The staff was helpful. However, I apparently only paid a 20% booking fee when I booked online and that was confusing at checkout. The room was way too small for our family, and the receptionist told me my booking was only made for one person and she was very sure about this until I showed her my booking from Priceline which clearly stated it was for two adults and a child (my other child is an infant and could share a bed with the other who is a toddler) so she had to change my room from a single twin to a single standard. I'm not sure if they have larger rooms available for families, but this mixup put us in a pretty small room for the night. The pub was really nice looking and was very lively when we arrived late at night but we didn't go. The breakfast was nice, though the breakfast area was a little run-down and empty, and the receptionist had to cook it herself, it seems like they were short-staffed. But, mixups and breakfast aside, it was a pretty nice hotel for a pretty good price in a pretty central part of Edinburgh.

Room Tip: Confirm your reservation for your group number and do it again before you travel
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Ardmillan Hotel

Reviewed June 20, 2011

Stayed here for two nights while working in Edinburgh and can confidently say I would not recommend this hotel. The room was in need of rennovation, the bed squeaked every time I moved, the shower head was mounted at an almost unbearable angle, and seemed to be unusually hot given the weather - perhaps it was because my room was above the kitchen. I would also emphasise the fact that this is more of a bar with a hotel attached rather than vice-versa, and a good nights sleep is not guarenteed given that kicking out time isn't until the early morning hours. I think I will book my own hotel in the future.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank cdickson20
Reviewed September 24, 2010

Pretty old building, carpet needs some updating. The room was clean and ok, shower was ok, staff and pub nice, very nice breakfast . Catch the bus across the street , 10 minutes to town center.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 5, 2010

Stayed here recently for 2 nights , having taken son to start uni .Found a gem. Room very clean , comfortable , well equipped. Small en suite spotless, always hot water available. Staff efficient helpful & genuinely friendly make the place. Good breakfast. Lounge bar , friendly locals & regulars good craic . First evening quiz night and then second evening Scotland football game on telly. Didn't eat there in evening but menu and food looked inviting. 20 minute walk to city centre or 10 mins on regular buses , end of street. Easy to find on way back. Parking was important to me , difficult to find in Edinburgh, was able to park here for free. Will come back with my wife next time.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank elmbank
Reviewed August 27, 2010

I've don't know if there's been a change of management, but my experience of this hotel is nowhere near as positive as the other reviews. We booked three rooms through lastminute, two of which were supposed to be doubles with en-suite. I rang the hotel to check that this was ok and they confirmed. When we arrived we had three rooms all with shared facilities and twin rather than double. The manager was polite (just), but insistent that no mistake had been made, even though he had lost his booking sheet. His only suggestion was that he'd try and help find another hotel as they were fully booked (it was during the festival and so there was no way any other hotels would be available). No offer of refunds were made. I know hotels are expensive during the festival, but over £100 a night was really expensive. I'm in the process of making a complaint through lastminute as we paid through them.
The website said it's been 'recently refurbished' - no it hasn't and certainly needs a make-over. Some of the TVs in the room didn't even work in colour, had no remote, were impossibly high on the walls and couldn't be seen from the beds.Otherwise, the rooms were clean and well-serviced. Breakfast was OK but nothing special. We didn't eat there in the evenings. The location's fine, though it's a good 20 minute walk into the centre, but good bus services. Being able to park for free is a plus.
All in all, not good service and over-priced.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank cape08
ArdmillanUddingston, Manager at Ardmillan Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 17, 2010

The management are happy to respond to this review. We have already written to Last Minute.com who had a complaint from this reviewer. At the time of their booking we informed last minute.com that we only had 3 rooms left, with shared facilities. Last minute.com then phoned the client to inform them of this and did they want to cancel. This was on the 10th.of May, over 3 months before their arrival. At that point they informed last minute.com that they would confirm the reservation. Last minute.com sent a fax to the hotel informing us of the booking. This fax was also sent to the client. On arrival they were asked to check their confirmation sheet, we have a copy, it clearly showed the room type and price for same. The reviewer is correct to say "Check your booking very carefully". They are also correct in saying that the manager was polite, the whole team in the hotel are polite, and professional in dealing with all customer issues, sometimes in the face of extreme provocation. The manager did offer to find them alternative accommodation, but they turned this down. We have already responded to their "complaint" to Last minute .com who have verified our facts and dates to be correct. Both ourselves and the "booking agent" are happy that this booking was made correctly and in the proper manner. We have no doubt, that in this instance, there is no case for a "refund". We thank the reviewer for their positive comments. If we feel we have any other issues to take into account on their review, we will certainly act on them.

Reviewed November 23, 2009

This hotel is next to our daughters uni accommodation so was just the place for us. Nice rooms, food superb, Guinness to die for. Everyone must have a pint of Guinness from the Ardmillan before they die. All in all fully recommended.
Be back soon,
Rusty Scott.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 17, 2009

My husband and I stayed at the Ardmillan on a short 3 day trip to Scotland during the Fringe. We loved our stay at the hotel. It was far enough away from the bustle of the city that it was relaxing yet close enough to get to everything pretty quickly. The hotel is small but this was one of the things we loved about it and the hotel pub is great. If we ever get a chance to go back to Edinburgh we will be staying at the Ardmilliam. Also, the staff was great.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple