“Quiet, short walk to downtown”

Novotel Edinburgh Centre
Ranked #74 of 147 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Toronto, Canada
“Quiet, short walk to downtown”
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Stayed for three nights over the New Year. Good location, 15 min walk from castle and downtown, so it was quiet and away from the street party.
Nicely set up, with small pool, spacious lobby area with seating off to one side. Helpful staff.
Very limited parking, paid 15 pounds per night in nearby underground lot.
Room was quiet and comfortable, fairly spacious, with bath and shower. The WC was in a small closet-like area by itself, without even a wash basin, which seemed an odd design.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Craig M, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Thank you for leaving your thoughts. We appreciate your positive feedback on the hotel cleanliness and the location.

We’ve also taken note of your comments regarding your room layout and apologise for your disappointment.

We appreciate you sharing your feedback and it is our hope that you will allow us an opportunity to serve you better in the near future.

Kind Regards,

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (299)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 5, 2014

Booked this short break as a follow on from a few days in Aberdeen. Hotel was towards the edge of town which meant a 20 min walk - all uphill. Was a little tricky to find too. Once there check in was easy once the queue of people went down. Was meant to be in a superior double but nothing about the room suggested it was anything more than standard. Bathroom was in see through folding doors - although the toilet was separate - unusual to say the least. Staff were helpful and polite and breakfast buffet was great!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Many thanks for your review. I have taken note of all your comment and I am sorry for few disappointments.

Reviewed January 5, 2014

It is always hard booking hotels away from the country you are staying, but having read the reviews on here I was expecting a decent stay, I was however a bit disappointed. The fact that this hotel was situated in Edinburgh City centre was what made up for everything else. The staff were helpful to an extent, the room was small and the bed was uncomfortable. The bathroom was even smaller and I felt like I was in a shoebox when going to the toilet. For a couple who enjoys their fitness I was also disappointed with the 'gym' it was only a treadmill, bike, rower and stair master in a tiny room. The pool did look nice but I was otherwise a bit disappointed. I would only recommend booking if there are special deals and you are only going to sleep in the room.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for leaving your thought about your stay. I have taken note of all your comments and apologise for your disappointment. Your feedback is very important to us as it helps us improve our service.
Once again thank you for taking time to write review.

Scarborough, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 1 night on the 1st Jan. From reading reviews I guessed I should get there early to get a parking space. Would rather have got the train as the car park is £15 but being New Years day there was no trains. I got the the car park at 1.45pm to find one space left. The car park spaces are so narrow it is ridiculas. My boyfriend had to get out 1st as he would never have got out after I parked. As I drove in the space & tried to straighten up the car I scraped my wing mirror off the wall! :( So be careful parking! Anyway the car park is such a hassle, so many buzzers to press & doors to ho through! They let us check in 10 mins early even though it was a busy night the night before. The room was ok but instead of 'superior' they should call it 'business' cause thats what it looks like, not a cozy hotel room more a business trip room. Also watch your step walking in! I didn't like how the toilet is in a separate room from the sink. Don't know why it all can't be together. If you want to have a bath & are taller that 5ft 2 you have no chance of fitting! Now the heating! The room was freezing even though the heating was turned up full. The bed was comfy. Housekeeping come in before check out time which I don't think they should. He didn't even knock. Bar prices very expensive but expected from a hotel. Really close to grassmarket but further away from everything else. Wouldn't call it a 4 star hotel. If I was to go back I'd stay somewhere else.

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Craig M, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this review, January 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to Novotel Edinburgh Centre. I am sorry that on this occasion you were not satisfied with your stay. We appreciate your feedback and have noted all your comments. Hope to welcome you back again. Kind regards,
Doncaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 3, 2014 via mobile

My partner and I stayed here for a short stay in Edinburgh. We booked this on last minute and was well worth the £55 a night we paid. The location was good, not too much of a walk to into the main city centre. The rooms were clean and worth the money. We didn't use the pool or gym but these are good added extras!
We didn't have breakfast as you can go into the city centre and find cafés which charge a lot less for breakfast.
I would stay here again but only if I could find a good deal again!

• Stayed January 2014
Thank you for your review. I am glad you enjoyed your visit and I look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Kind regards,