“Friendly staff and comfortable room”

Novotel Edinburgh Centre
Ranked #71 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I've stayed at this hotel a number of times on business. Most of the city attractions are walkable from here and the hotel is on a fairly quiet road. The staff are very friendly and helpful and quick to respond to any request. The facilities are good, with a pool, jacuzzi and sauna. Breakfast is buffet style and varied, although the quality of the cooked food isnt great. Rooms are very comfortable as are the beds. Excellent for a business traveller.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
M_Pichot, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 11, 2013

I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you again in the very near future. Kind regards

Reviewed May 8, 2013

This hotel is modern with comfortable good sized rooms. It is located about 5 minutes walk from the National Museum of Scotland and the Festival Theatre and close to the Grassmarket. The Castle is also close but the long steep climb up the steps is not the best route there for oldies!
Breakfast at the hotel is good and the staff are very helpful and friendly. Our room on the fifth floor was very quiet and had views of the surrounding hills. We used the buses to and from the airport but car parking might be difficult on a busy weekend. Prices reflected the star rating but we will definitely book again in future.

Room Tip: Request a room on a high floor, ones at the front get the sun more.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Many thanks for the positive comments, I’m happy we were able to make your stay with us so enjoyable. I hope we can welcome you back to the Novotel Edinburgh Centre again very soon. Kind regards

Reviewed May 7, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a 2 night /3 day city break. We arrived late afternoon at the hotel and were very pleased to find that our room was ready.. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful, and as the car park was full on the Sunday afternoon we were advised to park on the side street until 8am Monday morning for free.... The hotel was clean pleasant and the staff were helpful however we ended up paying almost £40 in car park fees as there was no room for the 3 days we were in Edinburgh.

Room Tip: prebook car park space at the hotel before going
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

I’m so glad that you had an enjoyable time during your stay at Novotel Edinburgh Centre. I hope we can welcome you back to the property in the near future.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for a 3 day city break. We arrived mid morning at the hotel and were very pleased to find that our room was ready, allowing us a rest after an early morning flight. The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful, giving us information about were to eat and the quickest way to get into town etc.
Our room was very clean and roomy, although the carpet could do with a deep clean to remove old stains. The shower was good - lots of hot water and powerful.
We only ate at the hotel once and to be honest were disappointed with the quality of the food. My chicken wrap wasn't as described on the menu. We didn't have breakfast at the hotel as it was quite pricey £16.95 for a cooked breakfast, instead we went to the Coffee Mill around the corner, which for the same price we could have two breakfasts and coffee - so good we went there twice.
We didn't use the pool but it looked good!
If I was to visit Edinburgh again I wouldn't hesitate to stay here, as it is within easy walking distance for all the sights, handy for Grassmarket (where we had some great food) and the Castle.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank supersaint76
M_Pichot, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this reviewResponded May 5, 2013

Thanks for leaving your thoughts here. The team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay, and we’ve taken note of your comments. Rest assured we will address them. #

Reviewed May 2, 2013

Novotels are one of my favourite brands, but I usually opt for alternatives, as the price can sometimes be out of my personal and business range. However, my Sun/Mon stay matched great prices, so they got my business. It's much closer to the city centre than I originally thought, so a good location if you don't mind a little walking (or catching one of the many buses).The staff are great, a real asset to the brand. Room was immaculate and really comfy - good for relaxing and good for working. Great bathroom - bath and shower cubicle.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank cdboy2002

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts on here. I’m glad you enjoyed your visit, and I hope we can welcome you back to Novotel Edinburgh Centre very soon.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stay at this hotel 3-4 times a year for business and have been impressed by the professional staff, large rooms and great breakfast.
The hotel is in an ideal location for Edinburgh's sights and walking distance to both the Castle and Grassmarket.
I would recommend this hotel for both business guests and tourists as you are guranteed a warm welcome, good service and a heart breakfast.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank dumbo77

My team and I very much appreciate your kind words, and we’re glad to have been a part of your visit. . We look forward to welcoming you back at Novotel Edinburgh Centre.

Reviewed April 25, 2013

Stopped here for 1 night on business.
There is a car park underneath the hotel although there are very limited spaces available at £15 per night.
The reception staff were friendly enough and my room was very acceptable despite the carpet having quite a few stains & in need of a good clean. The bed was comfortable and despite looking out to the street below, there was no noise in the night.
Breakfast was very nice with a good buffet spread and polite staff.
There is a pool & jacuzzi in the basement although I didn't get to try this. The only disappointment for me was that there was no free internet. If the PremierInn next door can do internet at £3 per day, then surely the Novotel could beat or at least match this?
Overall I would recommend this hotel & will use it again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
3  Thank whukev
M_Pichot, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay. Please rest assured that I will take note of your comments and the matter will be addressed. I hope we can welcome you back to the Novotel Edinburgh Centre very soon.