“Excellent Hotel in good location”

Novotel Edinburgh Centre
Ranked #70 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 24, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in March on a visit to see the city with two friends.Booked the hotel on booking.com in December and did not expect much as it cost €200 each for the 3 nights which looked very cheap.Pleasantly surprised by the quality of the hotel which is excellently located for the city centre.The rooms were very spacious and well maintained. There was a pool and leisure center which was also a surprise. The brreakfast was extra at £8.95 per day but it was good and the dining area was large enough although busy. Had an evening meal in the bar which was fine.Only quibble was a charge for 2 additional breakfasts and some telephone calls which did not connect but these were credited at checkout. The city is well worth a visit to see all the sights and this hotel offers an excellent and affordable base

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank mr9396
M_Pichot, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts on here. I’m glad you enjoyed your visit, and I hope we can welcome you back to Novotel Edinburgh Centre very soon.
Marc Pichot

Write a ReviewReviews (2,682)

Reviewed April 23, 2013

My worst hotel experience by far. Upon check-in the staff were blunt and short with us. No attempt at conversation at all. The room itself was decent enough. Nice size and lighting but that was the best part . The bed was painfully uncomfortable, resulting in both myself and girlfriend waking with back and neck pains. We didn't try the restaurant or the spa so no comment on those.

When it came time to check-out at the end of our stay, I was told that the initial payment I had paid when I checked in was not valid, and I would have to pay the full amount again, after already putting the money down for the room and the security deposit. When I tried to get an explanation of why this was not valid, the person I was speaking too just looked blank and clearly had no idea. I had to ask to speak to a manager three times before they understood a simple request. The manager came and sorted the problem straight away, and I was assured that the difference between the initial payment and the charge would not be taken.

I checked my bank account a few days later, only to find that both the initial payment and the full charge had been taken, resulting in there being more than two full payments being taken. I called the Novotel, only to be assured that they had not taken the initial payment, only the charge for the rooms, and that it was an error with my bank. I spoke to my bank, and was given an authorisation code for both of the payments that had been taken from my account. I called the Novotel back with this, and then was told that they had indeed taken two payments, after previously basically promising that they had not done so. I was kept on hold for about half an hour while this was all being sorted out.

I will never use this hotel chain again, and will dissuade any person asking for an opinion on this hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BradleyClarke

Apologies for not living up to your expectations. We’ll look into things, and I hope we can welcome you back to Novotel Edinburgh Centre some time in the future. Do feel free to email me on h3271@accor.com to discuss further.
Kind regards,

Reviewed April 22, 2013

We stayed here for one night whilst in town to run a Half Marathon. The hotel is spotless, the rooms large, the service great. It was quiet too, unusual for a city centre hotel, so sleep was undisturbed. The front of house were attentive and helpful. The restaurant even made us porridge on the morning of our race, which was the perfect start to the day. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Teppin

Many thanks for the review. We always welcome feedback and my team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at Novotel Edinburgh Centre. I hope we can be part of your future travel plans.

Reviewed April 22, 2013

It's a bit disorienting finding the same paintings on the wall and the same carpet whichever hotel of the chain you stay in, but you also get the benefits of the predictability and the general high quality of service and amenities. If I'd taken my sewimming things, the pool was right there. The breakfast was good.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com
1  Thank lauriewell

So glad you had an enjoyable time at Novotel Edinburgh Centre! We very much appreciate the feedback and we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Family friendly lovely hotel in a location handy for the Castle. Had a lovely pool and games console for the kids yet still had a business hotel feel. The food in the restaurant was oustanding. Friendly staff. Extremely comfy beds and certainly good value for money.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank mrmen49
M_Pichot, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you again in the very near future.

Reviewed April 18, 2013 via mobile

I loved my stay !! The one thing was the air con wasnt that cool... Bed was comfy .. Very central location.. Didn't stay for breakfast ..... We asked to put our luggage in storage because we arrived before check in time.. When we arrived , the woman saw us without saying a word and got our cases . Would stay here again !!!

• Stayed: February 2013
1  Thank Rosieroo111

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Got a good deal booking in advance (£240 for 4 nights). As it was our honeymoon the receptionist kindly upgraded us which very nice of her. Room had a nice view of the Castle.
We didn't book breakfast in advance £13.95. On arrival there was an offer on for around £8 which is much more reasonable. Breakfast was good and had a good selection. However there are many good cafés around that do all sorts of breakfast so I wouldn't pay full price.

Pool was small but nice and a nice warm jacuzzi was just what was required after a day walking round a hilly city.

A small commet on the room. The room doesn't have enough rails to hang 4 towels on. Also despite hanging towels up as requested if we didn't want them washing they still got changed daily. What a waste of energy.

Overall enjoyed our stay. All the staff were great.

• Stayed: April 2013
1  Thank Steven S

I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay. Please rest assured that I will take note of
your comments and the matter will be addressed. I hope we can welcome you
back to the Novotel Edinburgh Centre very soon.