I'm definitely not a fan of chains and prefer to keep little independent places in business, but the Novotel in Edinburgh Centre has really changed my mind - it is a great hotel and I now can't see myself staying anywhere else when I'm in Edinburgh.
Located about a mile from the train and coach stations, it's not really in the best place if you're struggling with luggage, but once you've dumped all that stuff the location is a perfect base for exploring - I've been to Edinburgh a million times, but I seen so many new places on this trip, and it was actually one of my favorite trips - simply because I was in a great location.
The hotel itself is lovely and modern - staff are helpful and friendly, yet unimposing and professional - it was lovely to feel anonymous and not be bothered by anyone during our stay.
The rooms are lovely - very clean, minimal and super comfortable - the beds are great, and the bathroom is really lovely and modern - although I thought the shower could do with a bit of a deeper clean - there were a few mouldy tiles, and the shower base looked a bit yellow. I've stayed at the Novotel on two occassions in the past month - the above comments are applicable to both rooms - one was a double and one a twin. Not much of a view from the rooms - but can't really complain about that as I wasn't there to peer out the window!
The bar was really nice - nice setting, very relaxing and the staff were lovely - drinks were a bit overpriced but there was a good selection of wines and whiskeys.
My only complaint about the Novotel was the wet leisure facilities - this was really the reason we booked the Novotel, so that we could chill in the pool in the evenings. There is a really prominent smell of chlorine that hits you as soon as you walk through the door of the hotel - didn't think much about it until about half an hour after being in the pool when my skin started to turn red, burn and itch and my partners back started to do the same - we had to spend the evening in our room with cool towels on our skin to calm the burning! The pool was again the reason I booked my second stay in January at the Novotel, but I steered well clear of it - which was a pity, but I didn't want to have the same burnt skin experience again!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Novotel Edinburgh Centre is an AA rated 4 star hotel in the centre of Edinburgh. Perfect for a holiday in the Scottish capital, close to Edinburgh Castle and the lively Grassmarket Area, 10 min walk from Princes Street shopping and the Royal Mile. The famous Arthurs Seat is 15 min walk away and Edinburgh International Airport 15 min drive. Relax with friends or family and enjoy Elements Restaurant and Bar, 24 hour room service, indoor pool, sauna, steam room, gym and whirlpool. Limited pay parking. Complimentary WiFi available. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, ACCOR, Booking.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Cheap Tickets, Hotels.com, Ctrip TA, Hotwire, TripOnline SA, Cancelon, getaroom.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Hotel.de so you can book your Novotel Edinburgh Centre reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Novotel Edinburgh Centre Hotel Edinburgh
- Accor Edinburgh Centre
- Edinburgh Novotel
- Novotel Edinburgh Centre Scotland