“Not a fan of chains - but this is to become a firm favourite”

Novotel Edinburgh Centre
Ranked #73 of 148 Hotels in Edinburgh
GreenLeadersBronze level
Aviemore, United Kingdom
“Not a fan of chains - but this is to become a firm favourite”
Reviewed January 27, 2013

I'm definitely not a fan of chains and prefer to keep little independent places in business, but the Novotel in Edinburgh Centre has really changed my mind - it is a great hotel and I now can't see myself staying anywhere else when I'm in Edinburgh.
Located about a mile from the train and coach stations, it's not really in the best place if you're struggling with luggage, but once you've dumped all that stuff the location is a perfect base for exploring - I've been to Edinburgh a million times, but I seen so many new places on this trip, and it was actually one of my favorite trips - simply because I was in a great location.
The hotel itself is lovely and modern - staff are helpful and friendly, yet unimposing and professional - it was lovely to feel anonymous and not be bothered by anyone during our stay.
The rooms are lovely - very clean, minimal and super comfortable - the beds are great, and the bathroom is really lovely and modern - although I thought the shower could do with a bit of a deeper clean - there were a few mouldy tiles, and the shower base looked a bit yellow. I've stayed at the Novotel on two occassions in the past month - the above comments are applicable to both rooms - one was a double and one a twin. Not much of a view from the rooms - but can't really complain about that as I wasn't there to peer out the window!
The bar was really nice - nice setting, very relaxing and the staff were lovely - drinks were a bit overpriced but there was a good selection of wines and whiskeys.
My only complaint about the Novotel was the wet leisure facilities - this was really the reason we booked the Novotel, so that we could chill in the pool in the evenings. There is a really prominent smell of chlorine that hits you as soon as you walk through the door of the hotel - didn't think much about it until about half an hour after being in the pool when my skin started to turn red, burn and itch and my partners back started to do the same - we had to spend the evening in our room with cool towels on our skin to calm the burning! The pool was again the reason I booked my second stay in January at the Novotel, but I steered well clear of it - which was a pity, but I didn't want to have the same burnt skin experience again!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
M_Pichot, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this review, February 1, 2013
I’m delighted you enjoyed your stay. Please rest assured that I will take note of your comments and the matter will be addressed. I hope we can welcome you back to the Novotel Edinburgh Centre very soon.
Kind regards
Marc Pichot

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (304)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed January 27, 2013

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights with our two children. They slept on the sofa bed which was barely sleepable. They are less than 30kgs and felt all the springs through the mattress.
General cleanliness in the bathroom was poor and the room was very small for 2 adults 2 children.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank aplaceinumbria
I’m sorry we failed to live up to your expectations. The team and I at the Novotel Edinburgh Centre appreciate your feedback, though, and we are addressing the issue. Please feel free to email me at h3271@accor.com if you wish to discuss this further.
Kind regards,
Marc Pichot,
Reading, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 25, 2013 via mobile

Me and my family decided to go for a short break for my birthday, and we chose to go to Edinbrough, so we needed a good hotel to stay in. Luckily we found this hotel (I booked through hotels.com), with it being in a great location in the centre of Edinbrough (you can tell by the name!), close to shops, attractions, even the cinema! The rooms were clean, the staff were friendly, and the facilities were great! The computer for surfing the net was useful, the XBOX kept the children entertained, and the pool was relaxing! Wide range of TV channels. The cafe was tasty as well!

• Stayed October 2012
M_Pichot, General Manager at Novotel Edinburgh Centre, responded to this review, January 27, 2013
Many thanks for the review. We always welcome feedback and my team and I are glad that you enjoyed your stay with us at Novotel Edinburgh Centre. I hope we can be part of your future travel plans.
Kind regards
Leicester
Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here for 2 nights. Comfortable rooms. Average £74 per night. No breakfast included - extra £8 if you want it. Checkout 12pm which is a nice touch and much more civilised!

Close to the Grassmarket and walkable to the castle and city centre.

A good base to explore Edinburgh.

• Stayed January 2013
Thank you very much for taking the time to post your thoughts on here. I’m glad you enjoyed your visit, and I hope we can welcome you back to Novotel Edinburgh Centre very soon.
Kind regards,
Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2013

Stayed in this hotel for a two night break in Edinburgh.Booked via hotel website after research and got a good deal. Room was spacious and clean and although the bath/shower and toilet are separate this was not an issue. We were lucky to get a parking space in the hotel car park which part of was closed off (weak point of hotel as space not guarenteed).The charges are £15 per exit, good if you can get in.The hotel is in a good location and you can walk to all the main attractions and it is very close to three theatres as well as cinemas, so leave the car in the car park. We did use room service and the food was good but had room only so went out for meals. We would stay here again especially if attending a concert or show in that area.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
I’m very grateful that you could take time to leave us your thoughts and write a review. I’m so pleased you enjoyed your stay with us, and we hope to see you again in the very near future. Kind regards
Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 13, 2013

We arrived Mon 7th Jan 2013 by taxi from Waverley Station. A very friendly welcome and although we arrived early our room was ready for us. The room looked straight out to a red brick wall which made us feel hemmed in so they happily changed it for a room with view of the hills in the distance. The bed was comfortable and the bathroom was more than adequate everything one could want. The breakfast to me was disappointing as I enjoy an English/Scottish breakfast because it was buffet style the food was kept under heater lamps which dried it out.The Continental breakfast was fine which my partner had but not for me. The staff everywhere in the hotel were very friendly and helpful. There is an excellent bus service from outside the hotel taking you to all parts of Edinburgh including the Royal Yacht Britannia. We used the buses every day to get around with a good value day ticket. Me&Kate

Room Tip: The higher the room the better view of the distant hills.