“What is going on....???!!!”

Murrayfield Hotel and House
Ranked #35 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed March 21, 2014

Before I chose to stay here, I had read the reviews and had been really looking forward to staying here as was my partner. Well....CHAOS is probably the only word to describe it. There was no one at reception when we entered.....stood there for about 10 mins before we had to go to the bar to fetch a bar tender to check us in!! Is this a hotel? Dinner seemed much better and the food was good, again service was a little patchy. However breakfast in the morning was shambolic....15 minute wait for tea....never anyone around to get their attention....and we watched a member of staff LOOK at and STEP OVER food waste on the floor TWICE!!! Maybe this was a one off but there are much better places to stay in the city.

2  Thank Choccy81
Central E, General Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded March 24, 2014

Good morning Choccy81,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us and for your valuable feedback on your experience with us. Your comments will be discussed at our weekly team meeting and measures put in place to ensure we address the level of service you have received during your stay with us.

This is not the service we would ever want to provide our guests and I can only apologise this, if you are ever returning to Edinburgh please let me know personally & directly. I would be delighted to show you the steps we have put in place following your review.

Best wishes,

Reviewed March 17, 2014

We stayed in Murrayfield House last week. The room is very quirky with the TV integrated into the mirrir. Unfortunately the TV channels did not work, we could only view BBC3. There were no windows although there was a door leading out to the garden. Could not open during the night as we were on ground floor. Air conditioning did not work well enought. Loved the Iod docking station playing music in the room and bathroom! Also thought the biscuits/chocolate/whisky minature were a lovely touch. I wish I had known there were GHD;s as I would not need to have packed mine! Pretty disappointed we were not in one of the rooms which had the bath tub :-( We probably would return again if we were in one of these rooms, with windows that could be opened. Breakfast was ok. The server Olga, was very pleasant.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
Central E, General Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

Hi clareb_21,

Many thanks for taking the time to review us, it’s great to hear you found our Murrayfield House great value. I will certainly share your comments with Olga which she will be delighted to hear. I will have our maintenance team check out the TV reception and air-conditioning within the room as soon as possible, many thanks for bringing this to my attention. We hope to welcome you back soon,

Reviewed March 16, 2014

Myself and my girlfriend stayed here very recently and had a lovely time. It isn't far from the city centre and we walked to within about 20 minutes. Shops nearby and you can't miss it from the road.
The room was lovely. Bright, incredibly clean, warm, lots of room for clothes and bags, well finished, comfortable, a HUGE bed and a very cool bathroom.
There was a lot of nice little touches such as white company products, and a good choice of bar snacks and drinks (slightly pricey but to be expected).
The food at the hotel was very good and there was a good selection at breakfast and the evenings.
My only criticism is that if you have loud people staying in a neighbouring room, their noise can carry easily and if they are slightly worse for wear then banging etc carries right to your room.

Other than that really friendly staff and a very enjoyable stay for two days.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Central E, General Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Hi Alex L,

Thank you for taking the time to leave such great feedback! It’s fantastic to hear yourself and girlfriend enjoyed your time with us, I’ll be sure to share this post with the team & kitchen. It was a pleasure to have you both as our guest.

Come visit again soon,

Reviewed March 14, 2014

Stayed at this hotel for 2 nights. very dissapointing! the level of service was awful. Receptionist was quite rude and unhelpful. We waited nearly an hour for breakfast on the second day and there were less people than the previous day. I would not stay here again, will look for a b&b if I ever go back to Edinburgh.

Hi suelloyd34,

Firstly, thank you for getting in touch with us. After reading your review I would like apologies for the service you have received, this is in no way a standard we would ever want deliver to our customers. I would like to discuss this personally if possible, if you could get in touch with me directly at murrayfield@centraledinburghhotels.co.uk & mark for my attention your time would be greatly appreciated. I look forward to hopefully hearing from you soon,

Craig Brodie – Hotel Sales Manager

Reviewed March 13, 2014

Stayed here March 2014 and was initially confused by the name, it works out that the main hotel, reception, restaurant & bar are all in one building with additional accommodation a couple of hundred yards down the road in a separate house, don't be put off by this, in truth it's no different to having to walk from reception to your room in most large corporate type hotels.
Once you get to your room in the house you will not be disappointed, take It from a tired old travelling salesman this is something special, a sight for sore eyes!, a real hidden treasure. The room was large and beautifully decorated, from the huge bed with its crisp and fresh linen to the little touches like the hidden tv in the mirror or the complimentary Scotland's finest Tunnocks wafer biscuits and tea cakes.
The bathroom was amazing with a huge wet room type shower and hot tub style bath, other touches also included GHD hair straighteners and complimentary miniature whiskey, this is quite possibly the best room I have ever stayed in and fabulous value for money.
The main hotel has a great bar called the Bothy with a really good atmosphere, brilliant staff and some great tunes playing in the back ground. Finally I didn't eat in the restaurant as I had clients to entertain in the city centre which is only a £6 cab fare away, however I did have breakfast on the two mornings I stayed there, the traditional Scottish breakfast is a real treat and should not be missed.
Can't wait to come back! 10/10

Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business

Good morning AndyJ1965,

Many thanks for the 10/10 review! It was a pleasure to have you as our guest and great to read you appreciated all the little touches in our Luxe bedrooms at Murrayfield House. I will be sure to share this with our team at our meeting this week, again thank you. Please let us know directly if you would ever like to return & stay with us, have a great week…

Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

We stayed for the night in room 1. The rooms are Luxe rooms in the house and our room eS just gorgeous. Lots of little touches in the room-whiskey for him and bounty chocolate for her, robes, lovely chocolate biscuits instead of the usual shortbread, selection of glasses if you had been having a glass if vino or champagne in the room, iphone docking station. The magical point for my boyfriend was the mirror which doubled as a television. The room was classy, spacious and very clean. Bathroom lovely with bath as well as rainfall shower. Will include a few photos. Definitely great value for money. Although a bit out of the centre it's only around a 20 minute wall and just across the road from Murrayfield for the rugby.

• Stayed: March 2014
Central E, General Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Good Morning Kerryyoung1,

Firstly, thanks for taking the time to provide such a lovely review on our Murrayfield House. We have really tried to create something special with our Luxe bedrooms and the fact you thought our bedrooms were amazing really means a lot to us. Again, thank you.

You have our details if you ever want to stay again, just let us know directly and we will be happy to assist. Have a great weekend,

Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

Top marks to Coco and Ricky for taking care of my friends and I during a busy rugby game day. I will certainly be back soon. Keep hold of your best looking and most attentive staff to keep the punters rolling in. Great pints and great company. Best hotel of the lot.

Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
3  Thank BeachBabe78
Central E, General Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded March 12, 2014

Hi BeachBabe78,

Many thanks for the great review, great to hear you had a good time with us. I’ll be sure to pass your comments on to the team. Have a good week & come visit us again soon,