“Good Value - could be great.”

Murrayfield Hotel and House
Ranked #35 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

Lovely decor in communal areas and bothy restaurant (room must not of been refurbished yet).

Difficult to find and car park full with a marquee and stacked up picnic benches from the summer. Had to park in area around the back which looked as though it was for nearby residents.

Extremely low price paid and im sure this was to reflect the current refurbishment the hotel is undergoing.

Staff were great. I even booked the wrong night on a non refundable or cancel able rate but my booking was simply moved to the correct night with no hassle.

Food in restaurant 'the bothy' was great. Mix of traditional and modern twist options and staff were very polite (despite being a little slow).

I regularly stay in Edinburgh for work and assuming next time the parking was sorted, the wifi was working as it should and the room I stayed in was refurbished as I believe the others are I would highly recommend it. So I will probably try the hotel again and give it another chance because I'm sure it will be great once these small problems are solved.

Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank ScottJ1981
Central E, General Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded November 14, 2013

Good evening ScottJ1981

Thanks for taking the time to write your review, as mentioned we are currently going through a major phased refurbishment, and yes we are in the full rugby interbational swing.

We do have additional parking to the rear of the property which it sound s like you made use of.

I do hope to see you again soon, and if traveling for business please get in touch so we can sort out some corporate rates for you.

Kind Regrads

Reviewed November 13, 2013

Booked one night in the Murrayfield with some trepidation following the earlier poor review. How wrong they were! Fantastic stay - superb rooms, friendly and professional staff and excellent food and drink. Had the best night's sleep in ages in a superbly comfortable bed and will definitely stay there again next time we are in Edinburgh

Room Tip: Room 3 in the House
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Janice K

Good evening Janice K

Thanks so much for takin gthe time to write your review, I am glad we wwere able to look after you so well and look forward to seeingyou again soon, remember to book directly with us to ge the best rates.

Reviewed November 11, 2013

We stayed for two nights after flying in for a rugby international. The room was clean and had plenty of storage space, which I really appreciate. I do not enjoy tripping over my cases! The bathroom was spotless, the one minor snag being that the toilet was squeezed into an alcove, but with a quirky shaped room, it's always going to be a bit of a jigsaw puzzle fitting everything in. We were impressed with the level of security on match day... it was comforting to know that only residents were allowed into the hotel, and you wouldn't be fighting your way through large crowds to get to your room, which could be intimidating. We found the staff to be friendly, and welcoming... Even though one of our party was unwisely wearing an England rugby cap! The only concern was that we might experience noise after the game... This was not the case,as we were pleasantly surprised to find out. It was easy to locate, and the bus to, and from, the airport stop very near outside the hotel, so not inconvenient for a non-driver.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
Central E, General Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2013

Good evening Caroline L

Thanks for taking the time to write your review.

We put a lot of time and effort into planning our big event days and its great to hear that people appreciate it.

Part of our unique building is, as you described, fitting in facitilies wherever we can and this at times allows us to get creative.

I hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

Stayed here overnight end of October for a family celebration in Edinburgh - never again! Firstly couldn't find way in to place, then disinterest of staff. Reception booked us a taxi & we were charged £5 more than the 2am taxi back to the hotel! Doors locked & we had to knock on the bar door for someone to open up & let us in! Total disinterest from staff the following morning on check out! Had reason to try the bar again yesterday on a rugby trip to Murrayfield - absolutely disgusted at attitude of hotel - bar supposedly full & doormen wouldn't allow us in despite obvious room at the bar- sent to marquee for poor selection of overpriced drinks & not allowed to use toilets - sent to portaloos around the back!!! Needless to say we will never be back despite having used this hotel ovr many years on rugby match days! DO NOT WASTE YOUR TIME AT THIS HOTEL - CHOOSE SOMEWHERE MORE CUSTOMER FRIENDLY INSTEAD!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank CAZZB2013
Central E, General Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded November 11, 2013

Good mornig CAZZB2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, firstly may I apologise for the inconvinience caused during our refurbishment works.

May I also add that all taxis booked via the hotel are done so with reputable companies and in o way do we add any surchage for this.

As for your rugby day experience, we have recently refurbished our bothy and as such have different capacities and unfortuately once we are full we can bot allow anyone else in to the premises due to fire regualtions which I am sure you can appreciate.

I do hope you come back as we put a lot of time and effort into putting on a variety of offers to look after as many of our guests as we can.

Reviewed November 7, 2013

this hotel is not what is on the tin! if you know what I mean. arrived from Edinburgh airport 15 min drive ? not just up the road. 2weeks ago. Oct 13, being refurbished, room terrible , plaster over tv switch, window falling out of frame. wardrobe door knob missing, bathroom meldew around bath,toilet stained, curtains falling of hooks, it was so annoying, we were tired, and had no choice but to take rooms, immediately complained. ,offered 15% discount + free breakfast. no explanation , just we are refurbishing!! all rooms filled. it was different story downstairs in dining room , was very nice, should of warned customers!! never again.

Room Tip: on arrival ask to see your room first!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank pancake_13
Central E, General Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded November 10, 2013

Good morning pancake_13

thank you for your feedback, as you mentioned we did offer to discount your room and offer breakfast with our compliments.

Also we are going through phased refurbishment.

I am sorry we did not meet your, or our own, standards and do hope you give us another try soon.

Reviewed November 3, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was amazing! The decor was so beautiful, you can see the effort they put into it. The people who worked there were very welcoming and helpful and The Bothy was a stylish and sophisticated place to have breakinfast, lunch or dinner. Overall i loved it

Central E, General Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2013

Morning ohsab

thanks so much for your review, we love our hotel and bothy almost as much as you do!!

I hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

I stayed here on 28th October on business and arrived at a building site. I appreciate that hotels need updating and refurbishing from time to time but it really needs to close to just get the work done without inconvenience to the guests. There was dust everywhere and you had to be careful not to brush against the walls in case of wet paint. I wouldn’t have minded this so much if I wasn’t awoken at 7am to the sounds of workmen shouting loudly out my window and their radio blaring music.

The room itself was shabby and in need of an upgrade. The rooms on the website look significantly better and it may be that I got given a shabby room as the others are currently being upgraded. The window sill in the bathroom was filthy and the sink chipped and grubby round the sink hole. However the icing on the cake was the presence of five or six woodlice (at least I hope thats all they were) crawling all over the bathroom floor in the morning! It didn’t exactly instil confidence in what might have been crawling around in the middle of the night! Yuck!

Having said all of that, the staff were very friendly and attentive and I am sure are having to work hard in the hotel’s current state of disarray.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business

Good Morning Erin G

Thank you for taking the time to write your review. As mentioned we have been refurbishing our hotel and we have tried to keep any inconvinince to a minimum.

I am glad the team did their utmost to make you feel at home, if you would like to contact me personally to arange to come back to enjoy the finished product I owuld be delighted to do so.