2,296 results
All reviewsbothy restaurantcity centretv in the mirrorthe main hotellovely hoteledinburgh zoobus stopbeautiful roomlittle touchesbooked this hotelno lifttea and coffeefull scottish breakfastbreakfast was deliciousprinces streetrugbybuses
Reviewed October 1, 2013

We received an email, prior to our visit, explaining that the hotel pub was undergoing refurbishment and that it would be closed during our stay. This was not a problem for us.

Received a phone call 3 days before our arrival to check that we had all the information we needed and if we required any more assistance regarding directions etc. – I thought that this was a nice touch.

We booked a Comfort Room for our two night stay in September and were delighted to find, upon arrival, that we had been upgraded to a Luxe Room in the House two doors down from the hotel.

Check-in:

Fast and efficient check-in by a pleasant young lady who then walked us to the house and explained everything about our room including the complimentary chocolates and whisky for our arrival.

Location:

Easy to find (thank you TomTom) with ample parking. We walked to and from the city centre the first night but would recommend the complimentary shuttle service (see below) or the bus.

The Room:

Room 4 in the House was by far the best, most comfortable and stylish room we have stayed in during our travels.

I liked the TV behind the mirror.

The Restaurant:

On Check-in we were informed that the restaurant was fully booked that evening so we asked if we could book a table for the next evening.

The next evening we were directed to a table in a small bar area approx. 20ft x 12ft (including the bar). Our table was probably 3ft from the bar where two customers were drinking and were subjected to their conversation for the whole of the meal.

Although the food and service was good it felt a bit claustrophobic. I guess we should have asked to see it first in which case we wouldn’t have booked and if this was down to the refurbishment we should have been told.

Service:

A few minor niggles:

On day one we found the safe deposit box was closed and we couldn’t open it. We rang reception and were informed that the manager was out and that he had the key. I explained that we were going out to explore and asked if it could be opened when the manager returned. We then had to cart all of our valuables around Edinburgh for the afternoon.

On our return to the room we found the box still locked and again rang reception. A very pleasant young man answered and came over straight away to sort it. The door itself was bent and once closed required a serious tug to open it (watch your fingers I trapped and grazed one of mine).

On day two we found that the sink plug wouldn’t stay closed, we had to go to reception to request our complimentary shuttle service to the city centre so decided to inform them then.

A very morose young lady on reception informed us that they weren’t running the complimentary shuttle service at the moment and handed us a piece of paper with the bus times on it (so £6 in bus fares for the day it was then). I reported the sink plug problem and she said she would have a look at it.

On our return the sink plug was still not working so we mentioned it at reception when we went for our evening meal. I was informed that the plumber had fixed the problem with the bath. I explained that the fault I had reported was with the sink and was told that a plumber would look at it immediately, I asked them to leave it (as knowing my luck it would be a five hour job and it was getting late).

Door banging from other rooms and the main door at midnight woke us up and again at 0700hrs but this isn’t the fault of the hotel just selfish gits.

I cannot fault the room and apart from the niggles above it would have been a perfect stay. It is a real shame as they have obviously put a lot of time, effort & money into getting the House right.

1  Thank WillsyGrimsby
Central E, General Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Good morning WillsyGrimsby,

Thanks for taking the time to review us and that you appreciated our 3 day arrival call, big changes are taking place at our hotel with the refurbishment and full re-launch of our bar and restaurant. The end result is going to be fantastic and would love for you to visit us again to see what you think.

With regards to your honest feedback, each week I sit down with the team and discuss our reviews, both maintenance comments and customer service. This helps us tweak what we can improve upon and excel at. Thanks again for being detailed. Hope to have you visit us again soon,

Reviewed September 25, 2013

We recently returned from a week's stay here and I cannot praise the hotel and its staff enough. We booked a standard double room many months ago for our usual week away in Edinburgh in September. But we had a change of plan and decided to get married whilst in the city. I had to change the booking to arrive a day early and when I explained why I was told it would be no problem and we were given a complimentary upgrade to a deluxe room. We arrived to find we were in Room One of the House - what luxury! These rooms are amazing and have everything you could want. We were finding little "surprises" everywhere - free whiskey and truffle chocolates, GHD hair straighteners, umbrella in the stand just in case, bathrobes and slippers, gorgeous rainfall shower, TV in the mirror, fresh milk in a bottle replenished regularly - I could go on. The bathroom with double sink was such a good idea. The bed was huge and so comfortable.
The staff were just brilliant. We had 2 friends who had also booked here for 2 nights as they were coming to be witnesses at our wedding - they had booked a standard room too but the staff put them in the room opposite us in the House, which was such a thoughtful thing to do. They were so helpful when the flowers arrived at the hotel reception, bringing them across for us. Nothing was too much trouble and this meant a lot to us. The bar is closed at present for refurbishment but the restaurant bar is open and available for drinks and this worked fine. We had breakfast each morning and there was a good choice on the menu and the food was always hot and enjoyable. We had one evening meal in the restaurant, a Sunday roast, and this was excellent.
The hotel is on a main road and a bus route which takes you straight in to the city centre with bus stops at regular intervals on the road. The zoo is not far and Murrayfield stadium is minutes away.
I would recommend this hotel especially if you can get a room in the House, and we will definitely be back next year.

Room Tip: We stayed in the House and these are obviously the deluxe rooms. I can't comment about any other rooms in the hotel.
1  Thank Suzanne S

Hi Suzanne S,

Firstly, it was our pleasure to assist in being a part of your big day. I will make a personal point of reading your lovely comments to the team at our next meeting. Our Luxe rooms at Murrayfield House truly are special and fantastic to read you appreciated all the little touches. It was our pleasure to have you stay and hope it’s the first of many Suzanne.

Beast wishes,

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stayed in the hotel in March to celebrate my 25th birthday with my girlfriend. We paid for an upgraded deluxe room and over all paid a VERY good price! Had a snack in the bar and found the food pricing and quality great. The staff were friendly.
Look forward to rebooking in November if we can!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Mr_Handsome1875

Hi muzzhfc,

Thanks for the review and hope you had a great Birthday! Our Luxe rooms in our new Murrayfield House really are perfect for a Birthday treat, great to hear you had a good stay. Hope to see you again next month, best wishes…

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We were very disappointed with this hotel bearing in mind we had researched before booking. The website pictures do not show the hovel which you may end up in. We booked a double standard room. The room was shabby. The paintwork was badly chipped and wallpaper was peeling. The door was not that secure and the lock stay was packed out with cardboard. The net curtains were ripped and filthy, the main curtains had not been hung correctly, however they did block the draft from the hole in the window frame. There were brown marks on the ceiling from a previous leak no doubt.
The furniture had seen better days. The freeview box is on the table which is obscured from the remote when the curtains are closed. Even a small shelf under the TV would of rectified that. There is no information pack in the room, only menus for the restaurant.
The bed was ok as was the shower.
Noise from creaky floorboards in the room above woke us up most nights. We would be embarrassed to market this room.
When we ate in the restaurant we waited 25 minutes before our order was taken and 45 minutes before the food arrived. Saying that the food was very good. Breakfast good.
Customer service skills were lacking by some staff, barely a smile on occasions. When unable to accommodate us in the restaurant no advice or recommendation of where to eat was forthcoming.
We are not normally a fussy couple but this experience was not good and worthy of our poor review.

2  Thank JPW3526

Good morning JPW3526,

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch, big changes are taking place at our Murrayfield Hotel with a full refurbishment of our public spaces with our new bar and restaurant launching very soon.

Your honest feedback regarding your time with us is genuinely appreciated and I would be grateful if you could get in touch personally to discuss at murrayfield@centraledinburghhotels.co.uk

Thank you for your time, I look forward to hopefully hearing from you soon. Best wishes,

Reviewed September 20, 2013

The hotel is undergoing renovations in the bar. We did know about this prior, but had not realized the rooms would be above the construction work.

When we arrived our room was freezing and, despite our asking reception twice about the radiator, nothing happened until the next day when we asked house keeping and they got us a little oil heater.

The noise from the renovations (drilling, banging etc) made it impossible to spend time in our room. This noise at times was constant and gave us headaches as it sounded like it was inside our room. At one point the drilling was making my water bottle shake...And we could even hear the radio blaring from people working on the floor below.
When we stayed at the hotel, works started at 8am and didn't finish until around 7pm.

There was hardly any shower gel when we arrived (a large refillable bottle with only 1 cm in it) and our room only had one towel. The windows in the bathroom were rusty. The main window looked out to another room and this wasn't great for privacy.

The good thing about the place is the restaurant. The food & wine were very good and reasonably priced. We especially enjoyed the Mexican part of the menu! The restaurant was cozy and warm and they played sports on the telly. Breakfast was excellent. We tried the Eggs Benedict (as many people on here had raved about them) and they were great.
Staff were very friendly and you could tell they are trying hard to make guests feel at home, despite all the work that is going on at the hotel.

Overall this wasn't a good experience. I can understand working being done, but this doesn't really make up for a freezing and poorly finished room. . Our mattress was uneven and uncomfortable. You could feel the springs below you and when you turned, it sounded like it was full of coins!
No wifi in the rooms even though it was advertised as having it

Would go back to Murrayfield only for a meal!

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the House part of the hotel, but ensure you don't end up above the Bar area (Left side of hotel).
2  Thank el_ser83
Central E, General Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Good Morning el_ser83

Firstly many thanks for taking the time to write your review. As you have touched upon we are carrying out some renovations here at the hotel and we do inform all of our guest in advance of arrival. I appreciate that these works caused you some inconvienience, I am sure you can appreciate that in a property of our size there is never the perfect time to carry out such work.

Once this phase of work is complete the hotel will be unrecognisable with surroundings to match the excellent food on which you commented on.

I am glad the team played their part and made you feel at home.

Should you be in the area again please contact myself directly at the hotel and I would be delighted to arrnage your booking personally and arrange for you to stay in our superbly finished hotel.

Kind regards