2,296 results
All reviewsbothy restaurantcity centretv in the mirrorthe main hotellovely hoteledinburgh zoobus stopbeautiful roomlittle touchesbooked this hotelno lifttea and coffeefull scottish breakfastbreakfast was deliciousprinces streetrugbybuses
Reviewed September 25, 2013

We recently returned from a week's stay here and I cannot praise the hotel and its staff enough. We booked a standard double room many months ago for our usual week away in Edinburgh in September. But we had a change of plan and decided to get married whilst in the city. I had to change the booking to arrive a day early and when I explained why I was told it would be no problem and we were given a complimentary upgrade to a deluxe room. We arrived to find we were in Room One of the House - what luxury! These rooms are amazing and have everything you could want. We were finding little "surprises" everywhere - free whiskey and truffle chocolates, GHD hair straighteners, umbrella in the stand just in case, bathrobes and slippers, gorgeous rainfall shower, TV in the mirror, fresh milk in a bottle replenished regularly - I could go on. The bathroom with double sink was such a good idea. The bed was huge and so comfortable.
The staff were just brilliant. We had 2 friends who had also booked here for 2 nights as they were coming to be witnesses at our wedding - they had booked a standard room too but the staff put them in the room opposite us in the House, which was such a thoughtful thing to do. They were so helpful when the flowers arrived at the hotel reception, bringing them across for us. Nothing was too much trouble and this meant a lot to us. The bar is closed at present for refurbishment but the restaurant bar is open and available for drinks and this worked fine. We had breakfast each morning and there was a good choice on the menu and the food was always hot and enjoyable. We had one evening meal in the restaurant, a Sunday roast, and this was excellent.
The hotel is on a main road and a bus route which takes you straight in to the city centre with bus stops at regular intervals on the road. The zoo is not far and Murrayfield stadium is minutes away.
I would recommend this hotel especially if you can get a room in the House, and we will definitely be back next year.

Room Tip: We stayed in the House and these are obviously the deluxe rooms. I can't comment about any other rooms in the hotel.
1  Thank Suzanne S
Central E, General Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded October 3, 2013

Hi Suzanne S,

Firstly, it was our pleasure to assist in being a part of your big day. I will make a personal point of reading your lovely comments to the team at our next meeting. Our Luxe rooms at Murrayfield House truly are special and fantastic to read you appreciated all the little touches. It was our pleasure to have you stay and hope it’s the first of many Suzanne.

Beast wishes,

Reviewed September 25, 2013

Stayed in the hotel in March to celebrate my 25th birthday with my girlfriend. We paid for an upgraded deluxe room and over all paid a VERY good price! Had a snack in the bar and found the food pricing and quality great. The staff were friendly.
Look forward to rebooking in November if we can!

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Mr_Handsome1875

Hi muzzhfc,

Thanks for the review and hope you had a great Birthday! Our Luxe rooms in our new Murrayfield House really are perfect for a Birthday treat, great to hear you had a good stay. Hope to see you again next month, best wishes…

Reviewed September 22, 2013

We were very disappointed with this hotel bearing in mind we had researched before booking. The website pictures do not show the hovel which you may end up in. We booked a double standard room. The room was shabby. The paintwork was badly chipped and wallpaper was peeling. The door was not that secure and the lock stay was packed out with cardboard. The net curtains were ripped and filthy, the main curtains had not been hung correctly, however they did block the draft from the hole in the window frame. There were brown marks on the ceiling from a previous leak no doubt.
The furniture had seen better days. The freeview box is on the table which is obscured from the remote when the curtains are closed. Even a small shelf under the TV would of rectified that. There is no information pack in the room, only menus for the restaurant.
The bed was ok as was the shower.
Noise from creaky floorboards in the room above woke us up most nights. We would be embarrassed to market this room.
When we ate in the restaurant we waited 25 minutes before our order was taken and 45 minutes before the food arrived. Saying that the food was very good. Breakfast good.
Customer service skills were lacking by some staff, barely a smile on occasions. When unable to accommodate us in the restaurant no advice or recommendation of where to eat was forthcoming.
We are not normally a fussy couple but this experience was not good and worthy of our poor review.

2  Thank JPW3526

Good morning JPW3526,

Thanks for taking the time to get in touch, big changes are taking place at our Murrayfield Hotel with a full refurbishment of our public spaces with our new bar and restaurant launching very soon.

Your honest feedback regarding your time with us is genuinely appreciated and I would be grateful if you could get in touch personally to discuss at murrayfield@centraledinburghhotels.co.uk

Thank you for your time, I look forward to hopefully hearing from you soon. Best wishes,

Reviewed September 20, 2013

The hotel is undergoing renovations in the bar. We did know about this prior, but had not realized the rooms would be above the construction work.

When we arrived our room was freezing and, despite our asking reception twice about the radiator, nothing happened until the next day when we asked house keeping and they got us a little oil heater.

The noise from the renovations (drilling, banging etc) made it impossible to spend time in our room. This noise at times was constant and gave us headaches as it sounded like it was inside our room. At one point the drilling was making my water bottle shake...And we could even hear the radio blaring from people working on the floor below.
When we stayed at the hotel, works started at 8am and didn't finish until around 7pm.

There was hardly any shower gel when we arrived (a large refillable bottle with only 1 cm in it) and our room only had one towel. The windows in the bathroom were rusty. The main window looked out to another room and this wasn't great for privacy.

The good thing about the place is the restaurant. The food & wine were very good and reasonably priced. We especially enjoyed the Mexican part of the menu! The restaurant was cozy and warm and they played sports on the telly. Breakfast was excellent. We tried the Eggs Benedict (as many people on here had raved about them) and they were great.
Staff were very friendly and you could tell they are trying hard to make guests feel at home, despite all the work that is going on at the hotel.

Overall this wasn't a good experience. I can understand working being done, but this doesn't really make up for a freezing and poorly finished room. . Our mattress was uneven and uncomfortable. You could feel the springs below you and when you turned, it sounded like it was full of coins!
No wifi in the rooms even though it was advertised as having it

Would go back to Murrayfield only for a meal!

Room Tip: Ask to stay in the House part of the hotel, but ensure you don't end up above the Bar area (Left side of hotel).
2  Thank el_ser83
Central E, General Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2013

Good Morning el_ser83

Firstly many thanks for taking the time to write your review. As you have touched upon we are carrying out some renovations here at the hotel and we do inform all of our guest in advance of arrival. I appreciate that these works caused you some inconvienience, I am sure you can appreciate that in a property of our size there is never the perfect time to carry out such work.

Once this phase of work is complete the hotel will be unrecognisable with surroundings to match the excellent food on which you commented on.

I am glad the team played their part and made you feel at home.

Should you be in the area again please contact myself directly at the hotel and I would be delighted to arrnage your booking personally and arrange for you to stay in our superbly finished hotel.

Kind regards

Reviewed September 15, 2013

Just returned from a wonderful weekend stay at the Murrayfield for our wedding anniversary.
Got to say this hotel is absolutely fantastic! We were in room 2 of 'The House' and it can only be described as amazing! HUGE comfy bed, huge shower that I didnt want to get out of! Everything about the room was great, I loved the TV behind the mirror and the room had everything you could want, iron/ironing board, hairdryer, GHD hair straighteners, tea coffee mini bar free tunnocks teacakes etc etc! Decoration was gorgeous and furniture top notch!
The only small niggle I had was that the door needed a bit of a tug to shut when going out so I was worried about disturbing other guests.
Breakfast was lovely, everything you could want and more! I was pleasantly suprised to see eggs benedict on the menu which was lush! We also had an enjoyable afternoon in the bar with a couple of drinks then food which was again lovely!
There is currently some work being done in the hotel so the bar proper wasnt open but this was fine, the bar in the restaurant did the job!
All in all I cant recommend this hotel high enough, staff all lovely, rooms lovely, food lovely! We will certainly return!
Or and the little cubby with free whisky and chocolates was a lovely touch but I was gutted that I forgot to pick ours up when we were leaving!

Room Tip: Rooms in the house are gorgeous!
1  Thank Kelly L
Central E, Front Office Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Dear Kelly L

We are so glad that you enjoyed your stay with us. We love our house and love to hear peoples response to it.

Just like the House we are putting the same care and attention into our pub; which we hope to welcome you to once we reopen it soon. Our lovely breakfast team were so pleased to be mentioned.

Kind Regards