“Amazing Find”

Ranked #40 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Hong Kong, China
“Amazing Find”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

We stayed in the luxury house category and could not have been happier. They were newly refurbished, service was excellent and it was a quaint getaway. Just what we were looking for. Will definitely come back and I recommend this to anyone looking for impeccable service, food and rooms!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
VenueGeneralManager, General Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this review, July 1, 2013
Good morning info i

many thanks for taking the time to write such an amazing review, the whole team here at the hotel were delighted you had such a wonderful time and we look forward to seeing you again soon.

Colin Brand

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (375)
  • Arabic first
  • Turkish first
Scotland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2013

After a late flight to Edinburgh airport I arrived shortly before midnight at this hotel and was given room 25 on the second floor. I had been looking forward very much to these amazing accommodation I saw on the website and expected something special, feeling very tired and exhausted.

Lets start with the positive things:

- very nice and helpful receptionist
- clean room and bathroom
- comfortable bed

I entered my room and immediately felt speechless, I guess I have never been so disappointed about a hotel room ever, despite I am travelling a lot and I am not really spoilt anyway.

A double bed in something like a very tiny, old style room with high ceilings. There was absolutely no way to put my luggage anywhere, no table, desk or floorspace.
If you would have squeezed the bag between the wall and the bed, you would have fallen over it, there was approx. 80 cm distance between wall and bed on one side and about 60 cm on the other side. The other alternative would have been to put the bag in front of the entrance door, where there was not enough light to see anything inside the luggage and would be a tripping hazard in case of an emergency.
I ended up keeping my luggage on the bed all the times, even while sleeping! This just isn't good enough for a hotel in a major city, which charges 300 Pournds for one night, if you are unlucky enough to book on the same day! I have been in much better rooms for less than 30 Pounds!

Two windows in the room and one single ceiling light high up, which was so dark, you would be unable to read a book, if you wanted to. None of the bed side lights worked, but I thought it was pointless to tell reception at midnight anyway.
If you closed the curtains, you had to be very careful not to throw everything on the floor which was placed on a narrow drawer, situated in front of the window.

Every time a lorry passed by, the whole room vibrated and shaked.

When I checked in, I was told it was not possible to pay in advance and get an invoice, I was told I can only do so in the morning.
I had to leave early for my connecting flight at 5 am. On the website it was stated that there was a 24 hour reception desk available. The truth is, in the morning there is only a night porter present, who lets you out, but he has no access rights to the computer and can't check you out.
I left my address and got the invoice per e-mail on the same evening. Despite I had planned to pay cash, I got deducted through my pre-authorized visa card.

Next to my room the leftovers of a room dinner were put outside in the evening when I arrived and it was still there in the morning when I left, very dangerous if you have to leave your room in the dark or in a hurry in an emergency.

Avoid to accept room no. 25 at all costs! You have been warned.

Room Tip: Don't accept room 25
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Good afternoon hunter999

firstly thank you very much for taking the review, I can only apologise for the short falls you experienced.

We are currently going through a phased refurbishment of the property and hope that yu choose to stay with us again, and if you do so please contact us at the hotel directly.

Also I would like the chance to discuss the room rate you have quoted in your review as £300 for an evening stay is not a rate we charge.

Goulburn, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 23, 2013 via mobile

Stayed here with a group of friends and had a great stay, easy check in an everything was spotless. Great pub downstairs which was handy because it ea the only place that the wifi worked for us. Delicious food. Only problem was it was a bit out of the way. This wasn't a problem though as there is a bus stop across the road and its £1.50 to get into town or £8 by a cab. Would definately recommend this place.

• Stayed June 2013
VenueGeneralManager, General Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this review, June 24, 2013
Good morning Lukehump

Thank you so muc hfor such an amazing review. Our chef and his team were delighted that enjoyed your meals so much.

We hope to be able to welcome you to the hotel again very soon.

Edinburgh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 20, 2013

Met a girlfriend for a quick lunch at the Murrayfield Hotel which is located just opposite the Murrayfield Rugby Stadium and Ice Rink. A great place to meet as the Hotel offers free on site car parking which is a great benefit. The staff are very welcoming and cannot do enough to make sure you have everything that you need, for lunch there is a choice of two menus a snack menu and a full varied menu which offers something for everyone. Food is of a very high standard and is served with a big smile. What should have been a quick lunch turned in to a very relaxing 3 hour lunch which was mainly due to the excellent service from the staff.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank janjanEdinburgh
VenueGeneralManager, General Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this review, June 22, 2013
Hi janjanEdinburgh

thank you so much for such an amazing review, the chef and his team were delighted you enjoyed your meal and the staff really enjoyed looking after you. They even remember that you moved from outside once it got a little chilly!!

We do hope to see you again very soon

Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

Following my most recent visit to the Murrayfield Hotel I stayed in room 4 in the refurbished house. The room was amazing, fabulous decor -mirror, TV and has the comfiest bed. Fully kitted out for any girls needs! Also has an fab rain shower.

The staff were very helpful and welcoming and breakfast was fresh and delicious.

Best hotel in a long while, I shall certainly return when next in the city.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Rosalynne T
VenueGeneralManager, General Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this review, June 17, 2013
Hi Roalynne T

Firstly thank you for taking the time to write your review, we really do appreciate it.

We are so happy you continue to have fantastic experiences with us and I hope to welcome you back to the hotel very soon.

Forfar, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 15, 2013

We had an overnight stay in the House part of the Hotel our room was Fantastic from the large Kingsize Bed to the large walk in shower could not fault it.Also the staff on reception were very helpful but especially Eithre.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms in the house
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Good morning Zesty28

thank you so much for taking the time to write such an amazing review, Eithne wasw delighted you rememebered her.

We are delighted that you enjoyed our comfy beds and amazing showers so much, I do hope we can look after you in the near future again

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 14, 2013

We stayed here 2 nights for my birthday and loved every minute, the staff couldn't have been more helpful and friendly. The room was huge and had everything we needed. Walking distance to the zoo and short bus ride to the centre. We will defiantly be returning. Thank you Murrayfield hotel for a fantastic stay.

• Stayed June 2013
VenueGeneralManager, General Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this review, June 15, 2013
Good afternoon Zesty28

thank you so much for such an amzing review, the team here at the hotel are delighted that you had such a memroable birthday and we all hope to see you again soon