“Lovely Hotel and Great Service”

Murrayfield Hotel and House
Ranked #35 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed July 18, 2012

The hotel was welcoming when we arrived and the receptionist was really helpful and friendly. As we had travelled in on the overnight sleeper from London, we arrived at the hotel 3 hours prior to the check-in time but we were made to feel very welcome and offered breakfast in the bar.
Breakfast was lovely with a good & quite original selection.
The hotel is .8 mile from Edinburgh Zoo with a bus-stop just opposite and another about a 2 minute walk away. It is a ten minute cab journey away from Edinburgh City Centre and the cab cost us less than £10.
We didn't eat in the hotel restaurant in the evening, however we had our breakfast in the restaurant the following morning and had the same selection as the previous day in the bar plus toast and a continental option as well.
We did stay in the newer rooms on the ground floor so I can't comment on what the older rooms are like.

Room Tip: Try to get a room on the ground floor in the new part of the hotel - modern, clean, nice size and qu...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Lizb0
Agnieszka S, Front Office Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded August 7, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your kind comments online – I do remember you and your partner and am very glad I was able to assist you with the early morning check in after your long journey.
I was pleased to read that you found your breakfast tasty – I have passed your review on to or Head Chef and his team.
All of us here at the Murrayfield are very happy that you enjoyed your trip to Edinburgh and would love to see you again!

Reviewed July 18, 2012

Stayed for two nights £65 per night single. Light over the sink in bathroom would not switch off, bathroom was big bedroom was tight for space. Room safe didn't work, apparently it's hit and miss according to the staff! Bed needed a new mattress, was hard worn and uncomfortable. Breakfast was good with a good range, eggs benedict was very salty, beware of the 9.30 cut off time for breakfast!. Still good service and not bad value for a couple of lads away!

• Stayed: July 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor.

I was glad to see that you found our hotel to be a good value for money and experienced a good standard of customer service.

Thank you for pointing out the issues with the bathroom light and the room safe – please accept my apologies for those inconveniences. I would like to take this opportunity to let you know that we will undergo a complete makeover soon – our extensive refurbishment programme starts this autumn and the finished product will be quite spectacular. At this point we have a sample room ready - please feel free to pop in and view it next time you are in Edinburgh or take a look at the pictures on our Facebook wall.

I do trust we will see you again and I am sure you would love the new Murrayfield Hotel!

Reviewed July 17, 2012

My partner and I booked in the Murrayfield Hotel for 1 night. The good points were that we had a nice, comfortable superior room on the ground floor which had everything you expect of most hotel rooms and was nicely decorated. The location is good, it was easy to find by car and the hotel has free parking behind it which was good.

We had booked dinner, bed and breakfast and unfortunately the dinner let the place down. Upon entering the dining room other diners stared back at us whilst we hovered hoping to be seated but there were no staff around. We went back out to main reception to find a member of staff and were told just to sit down in the restaurant and that someone would be along soon. So we sat and waited and waited and waited and waited some more. About 15 minutes pass and another couple enter and wait around for a few minutes before a member of staff arrives to see to another table of diners and also tells the couple to sit down. This new couple then got their menus and drink orders whilst we were still waiting to see a menu...or anyone for that matter! We tried to catch the waitresses eye on numerous occasions but she flitted around the room so fast she either didn't notice or was very good at making sure she didn't look at us before vanishing out the door. Finally, after the other couple placed their order we were approached and given some menus and got to order our drinks. This was pretty much how the evening continued between courses we were left waiting and waiting plus our orders were confused with the wrong items; for the main course they initially brought us fajitas when we'd ordered pasta and steak and they initially only brought out 1 dessert then took it away again when we said it was 2 that we ordered. The menu was ok but none of the mains were really to my taste; usually if this happens I'll go for the veggie option but that was listed as a rather uninspired sounding courgette risotto so I ended up having the prawn and chorizo penne pasta which sat heavily in my stomach for the rest of the night. In saying that, the starters and desserts were tasty and my partner enjoyed his steak. This was quite possibly one of the longest dinners I've had in my life; it lasted just over 2 hours thanks to all of the waiting. The place was not busy; 2 families were finishing their meals as we entered so were soon gone and, other than us, I think there was a family of 4, an individual and the other couple. The dining room itself lacks any atmosphere, it is very quiet with just the noises of other people eating and news showing on mute on a big tv screen on the wall. A quiet dining room is usually fine but if you're going to leave people to sit so long some music or something would have been nice. Throughout it all the staff were polite and apologetic but it seemed worse that they were aware of our long waits and were letting them continue.

After we endured dinner, we went through to the hotel bar for a drink and it soon became clear that there were only 3 members of staff on and they were having to deal with the people in the dining room as well as the people coming in to order off the bar menu - hence all the flitting about and vanishing staff members whilst we waited in the dining room. It seems they were somewhat short staffed.

Despite the slow dinner I would consider staying here again as the room was nice and it's a convenient location but if there's a next time, I'll be eating out!

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Agnieszka S, Front Office Manager at Murrayfield Hotel and House, responded to this reviewResponded August 21, 2012

Many thanks for taking the time to review our hotel.

Please accept our sincere appologies for the experience you had during yout time with us, particularily when dining. The issues you have raised have been addressed with the witing staff and managment and training has taken place to highlight where we ned to focus to ensure that we consistently deliver the standard of service that we pride ourselves with and that indeed we deliver to the vast majority of our guests.

Our general manager would be very happy to discuss in detail your isses and would like the opportunity to do so if you you so wish. you can contact us on murrayfield@centraledinburghhotels.co.uk and we will reply directly.

We would also be delighted of you could come and visit us again and see that the experieince you had during your last visit is far from the standard that we provide.

Thank you once again for your honest and constructive feedback,

kind regards

Reviewed July 4, 2012

Staff very friendly and helpful. Room clean and quiet if a bit small. Sunday Roast excellent, breakfasts very filling. Bus access easy. Would go back and recommend to others. my brother and I will go back.

Room Tip: I was in the new part on the bottom floor. Upgraded room.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

We are always extremely glad to see our Guests recommending us to others, so thank you for posting your nice comments on Trip Advisor.
We look forward to welcoming you and your brother at the Murrayfield Hotel again!

Reviewed July 4, 2012

Was there for my honeymoon. Friendly staff and nice hotel. Had a good size room. Stayed there for 2 days. Unfortunately my only complaint are, both mornings I've been woken up by people slamming doors at 6.50am, reported to reception about the noise and they told me they had a coach in. Again would have been nice if something would have been sorted. The food wasn't great , it would have been ok if the chefs would have payed attention on washing the salad. The room was clean (in a way) found hair on the toilet seat and the bath, must have been the housekeeping I hope.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review, we truly do appreciate all feedback from our Customers.
I was glad to see that you found our staff friendly and the hotel nice.
As for the noise that woke you up early in the morning, I can only apologize. Whenever we have tour groups staying with us, we do try to allocate rooms for them in a separate wing, but unfortunately this isn’t always possible.
As for the cleanliness issue you have mentioned, I have passed this on to our Head Housekeeper and appropriate action has already been taken. Again, please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience this has caused.
Thank you again for your comments, we have taken all of them on board and will use them constructively to improve and grow as a business.

Reviewed July 3, 2012

Not the best hotel I've ever stayed in but perhaps the friendliest. Every member of staff I encountered, in the hotel and bar, obviously understood customer care - I was very impressed. The room was OK and the bar food was good.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.
We are very proud to be the friendliest hotel you have stayed in, and if you decide to use us again in the future I am confident we will maintain our high standards of customer care that you experienced. 2012/13 is a very exciting time for us as we will be undergoing a major refurbishment programme and would love for you to come and see the brand new Murrayfield Hotel next year.

Reviewed June 30, 2012

I stayed in the lodge on 14th June and although I had a single room was clean, comfy abeit a bit small, The one fault I could find was having to put the kettle on the floor for the nearest plug,
The lodge was a beautiful building with a huge stained glass window on the stairs, with quite a few original features.
I had a wonderful evening meal that was actually hot!!! the bar staff were fantastic........I didnt have to move off my seat for anything. Breakfast was brilliant which was served on Hot plates so your food stayed hot whilst eating it. The hotel does not deserve some of the bad reviews it has received but my experience at the hotel was all good.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Management response:Responded July 11, 2012

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review on TripAdvisor- all of us here at the Murrayfield Hotel really enjoyed reading it (the Chef now has a copy of your review on his kitchen wall and sends his best regards)!
I was really glad to see that you liked our Lodge building; we love the original features too and will certainly do our best to preserve them in the process of refurbishment which we will be undergoing later this year. Thank you for bringing up the issue with the kettle – we will definitely make sure that such inconveniences are eliminated.
We really hope to see you again soon!