“Comfortable. Nice Reception Staff”

Murrayfield Hotel and House
Ranked #36 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed September 25, 2011

Stayed for 1 night. Rooms clean enough. Good location and advantage of having car par. The receptionist from NZ was very friendly and helpful. Rooms were a bit warm and stuffy. Our room was a good size but the other room had a tiny bathroom with a sink that was far too small. Breakfast was nice but lots of dirty tables etc waiting to be cleared. Maybe slightly overpriced but would probably visit again.

Room Tip: Room 19, not 17
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for Murrayfield Hotel and House

Reviewed September 12, 2011

Booked a night for my boyfriend and myself as a treat, last minute. All inner city hotels were booked up as expected, which was fine. As it was a treat i went for the Delux Room. What a treat we got....NOT. Best way to describe the place was a dive of a bedsit. Bed was horrible, very very uncomfortable. Room small and in desperate need of updating!! Our room was at the front of the hotel was lots of noise throughout the night from the road outside. Basic bathroom. Turned shower on to get all up a drizzle of water, took forever to wash hair (would of been quicker using the tap, no pressure what so ever). The showerhead had obviously not been cleaned since it was installed. Black scum all over it. Small TV in room but only had like 3 channels. Reception staff were smiley but very poor at directing us to our room, ended up walking up and downstairs a couple of times with our bags tryin to find the room. Our room was in a seperate corridor with another rooms door. Corridor light did not work so tryin to key the door unlocked was challenging. Staff at breakfast were not very welcoming and didnt seem to know what they were doing. Very little food when we went and what was there wasnt too hot either.
TOTALLY RIPPED OFF!!! NEVER BE VISITING THERE AGAIN
Good points of hotel:
Bar food
Free parking on site
Location for Murrayfield

Room Tip: Avoid hotel
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 30, 2011

We wentt to the Murrayfield because it was opposite Murrayfield and we were up for the Six Nations. Reception was helpful and we were soon in our room.

When I opened the door the cold air was like a slap in the face but this was soon recitified with a little twiddling of the radiator valve. We were in the 3 bed room with a large bay on the side of the building and traffic noise was very noticeable due to the single glazing although not an issue for one night. Breakfast was very nice, service was good. We parked in the carpark and were allowed to leave the car in the carpark until the end of the rugby match.... In herein began our problems.

The hotel is an immediate venue for post match revellers and this is fine. However on this day the car park was double parked by a load of vehicles not resident at the hotel. We were out of the ground and ready to leave around 7pm as we had a 5 hour drive home and I had work the next day (as had quite a few people parked along side us). We waited thinking the cars would move but this did not happen. After an hour or so the manager of the hotel began telling us a tow truck had been called and would be here shortly. One member of the staff had a stand up row with a girl trapped in the car park (for no reason that I could see). The manager as you can imagine was getting some flack by this time and after a while admitted no tow truck was coming. I put it to her that she needed to put us up for night as we were trapped in the car park through no fault of our own and her response to this was 'what do you want me to do?'. Yes everyone can flip the question back but I'd told her what I wanted her to do. Totally beyond her depth and no idea of people management. Throughout all of this a constructive man was hovering in the side lines. I guessed it was the manager's husband as he was helpful yet not fully involved. As he became more helpful I eventually asked him who he was and found he was the Assistant Director of Festival Inns. He eventually whipped up a group of doormen and male staff and they all pushed the offending vehicles out of the way and all the cars were backed out one by one after 25 point turns. I eventually managed to leave Edinburgh 2.5 hours later than planned leading to a very late tired drive home which I had wanted to avoid.

I accept the parking is not Festival Inns' fault but the manager was beyond useless and I believe it was only due the Assistant Director's presence that I managed to get away as promptly as I did. I made a point of telling him this and thanked him for his help. I imagine if he'd not the police would have been called as there were a lot of very angry and very resigned people standed.

Would I stay there again? It is a great location for the rugby! But I'd park much more carefully. There is a parking row behind the carpark and I think I'd go in there!

• Stayed: February 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 28, 2011

I had to stay one night in Edinburgh and this was one of the cheaper hotels that I could find. The room I got was HUGE with 3 single beds in there for just little me! The heater wasn't working too well however the place was nice, clean and well decorated. The bathroom was a little small but still nice. It was quiet at night which was really nice and the hotel staff was very friendly and helped me with all my needs. The hotel is very close to the bus stop which was very useful to go into town. as I didn't have to walk far. The complimentary breakfast was delicious as well. If I had to stay in Edinburgh again I would definitely go back!

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed August 27, 2011

Booked at short notice a twin room. BED WAS TERRIBLE. Really bad, like sleeping on a bag of aluminium cans. Not sure if all beds are like this, but mine certainly was. Rooms were OK, clean, reasonably recently done I think. Lighting terrible and dingy. Bathroom newly done and quite nice. Hotel seems to be spread over a couple of buildings. Nice looking restaurant and bar. Fair prices in the bar. Big screen TV for sport. Was a big football match being played locally and there was plenty of atmosphere, without too many louts. Staff were really nice both in the hotel and the bar. TV wasn't working when we stayed, apparently due to digital/analogue switch. Drove from Perth to Edinburgh and struggled to find it along the Corstorphine Rd. Could use a sign or two leading up to the hotel to assist drivers as a few other hotels in the area have. Street numbers are difficult to follow, so keep your eyes peeled when going to this place. Was really a bit overpriced for what it was. It was during the Edinburgh festival - but even for this peak time, I think it was overpriced.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Well what can I say....there is a reason why there are no pictures of the lodge on any booking websites...because it is a dive. Although the main hotel is 3 star... you can bet that the lodge is nowehere near that so needs a classification of its own.

The place isnt fit for students let alone 90 pound a night guests....freezing cold, single glazing, leaking sinks, light switches that buzz when you press them, tvs dont work and no wi-fi either. It was like living back at my mums in a box room with a single bed and dim lighting.

Room Tip: Clarify where you will be staying before yoou book!!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed August 15, 2011

The hotel appeared clean and spacious on our arival, our room large, well decorated but cold and noisy, the bathroom large but cold. We arrived at breakfast the first morning, no-one asked for our room card to prove we were staying, no-one showed us to a table. Self-service was the order of the day, barely warm bacon, sausages, eggs, etc all as a result of staff having windows wide open by the side of the heated serving trays. Toast was served with the tea as we sat down. Toast, should we say dried bread, no colour, and by the time we came to eat it, no heat!!! Yes they replaced it after we asked, other guests raised eyebrows and commented theirs was the same.
Second morning, Sunday, the same, but this time we waited almost 10 mins to get a member of staff to acknowledge our presence, and serve tea. Was advised to 'refill your own milk jug from the self service area'. Chilly cooked breakfast again. Toast served when we asked, again only toasted on one side!
Third morning, Monday, more of the same, toast cold as brought before we asked. Oh and why do we need a TV playing at breakfast, no TWO TV's, one each end. Are we that desperate that we need to watch whilst enjoying a break away, if guests feel the need have breakfast in bed and watch it there.
Yes there was plenty, but all we actually were served was tea, everything else was get your own could have stayed at a Travel Lodge much cheaper. Expected more when staying at an establishment with 3 stars what has happened to service in the service industry?

Room Tip: Ours was clean and well kept
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple