“Castle Apartments, Edinburgh”

Ranked #172 of 215 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
Dundee, United Kingdom
“Castle Apartments, Edinburgh”
Reviewed July 14, 2012

If you are thinking of booking a break here, don't bother. We also purchased a Groupon deal for a two night stay. The first place we were allocated was up a close off The Royal MIle. It was a tiny one bedroomed apartment, door to the close and the flat were not very secure, there was evidence of water damage or damp and a hole in the bedroom door. The cooker hob was filthy and the oven didn't work. The television did not work either but the icing on the cake were the two vermin control boxes we found in the living area. We were moved to a four bedroomed top floor flat in Broughton Street and it was not much better. The bathroom was a disgrace, there wasn't one wine glass in the kitchen, the carpets were covered in stains and cigarette burns, blinds on the windows were filthy and in some of the bedrooms, the clothes hanging space consisted of a wooden palette like construction.
We were also advised of a problem with the bubbly, chocolates and burger bar voucher when we collected the keys and were assured an E-Mail offering compensation was on it's way to us at home - that was at the end of April and needless to say we are still waiting for it to arrive!
We doubt very much if the apartment shown on the website actually exists. Our advice - don't bother and save yourself a lot of disappointment.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Portsoy, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2012

Bought a Groupon deal for my fiancee for Christmas for us to go for a short break. We went in May 2012 and to say it was awful was an understatement. We were given one of the very top floor apartments. It was disgusting. Dirty carpets, knobs/buttons broken on the heaters/washing machine, inadequate curtains at the bedroom window, stained work surfaces in the kitchen, hardly any natural daylight in the living room, shower when put on flooded the bathroom floor and there was a very badly stained mattress in the bedroom. We complained to Tartan Apartment and are still awaiting a response. However, we did complain to Groupon and were given a FULL REFUND. There is no way I would ever stay in this disgusting building again.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Pauline301969

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Wicklow
Reviewed June 18, 2012

This was my 4th trip to Edinburgh but my last stay in the Castle Apartments. It was disgraceful. Showers not working, no hot water, ceiling water leaks all over kitchen floor (which I slipped on), no plugs working to use hairdryers etc and very dirty and in a state of disrepair. DO NOT STAY HERE. The people who run it are very friendly and try to help but the whole place needs a huge overhaul, otherwise they're fighting a losing battle. Not the experience I had hoped for. Looked great on the website - very sadly let down.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Jenster30
Reviewed June 14, 2012

Terrible customer service, the apartments are vile and not exactly how they look on the website!!
Save your money and go elsewhere! Ruined what was supposed to be a romantic weekend away to Scotland. Awful place.
Don't try calling them either or providing them with any feedback as you will get no response.

• Stayed January 2012
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I have previously written a review and the place was horrible, originally it was the Royal Mile apartment which apparently got water damage, the I was transferred to Annadale executive apartments, I have been in better equiped crack dens. (through my job as council house inspector) they have more cooking facilities.
The third apartment was Warden Court on the Grass market. This was also horrible, very poorly maintened very rough inside. Such a disappointment to what was going to be a lovely break with my husband.
Anyway please please if you get back as disappointed as I did, please take photos and post them on here. I would like some picture to send to trading standards. I have made a complaint to them. I did not take any pictures. (Especially Wardens court.)
I would also say that you should complain to trading standards.

• Stayed April 2012
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I was under the impression that I was getting a nice serviced apartment for my $1000 australian dollars for a week. What I got was a tiny flat/unit. The kitchenette was filthy, the lounge was covered in stains. Even if I wanted to cook, there was no table or chair to eat at. The spiral staircase had a worn rope for a hand rail. Many people staying in other flats complained that they were never told of the spiral stairs and had to ask other guests to help with their luggage. Oh yeah, I never had any service whatsoever. No cleaning, no new towels, no toilet paper (had to buy my own). It is located in a fantastic spot, right on the Royal Mile and only a 60 second walk from Edinburgh Castle. However, you could get a nicely appointed room at the Raddison Hotel the next block down, for the same price. These shonks need to be put out of business.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank jkr555
Bad Vilbel
Reviewed June 6, 2012

We booked a Castle Apartment at the Royal Mile, but were relocated on short notice to a smaller apartment a bit further away from the city centre. But this was alright, it was because of a water damage (no one can foresee this!) and the staff was were flexible and helpful to compensate us for the decrease in comfort!
Nevertheless, the smaller apartment was very cozy and agreeable in the end!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple