“You get what you pay for”
Review of Budget Backpackers

Budget Backpackers
Ranked #20 of 202 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
Belfast, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“You get what you pay for”
Reviewed January 26, 2013

Know that when you stay here, you get exactly what you pay for.
Dirty bathrooms that are very squished, damp, and not built for the capacity of the hostel.
They advertise free wifi, but it only works early in the morning or by some stroke of luck after trying to connect for hours.
On the plus side, the hostel bar has good value food/drink.

Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (70)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Reviewed January 15, 2013

I guess the reason i only give this 3 stars is because of our high expectations going in. Rated the best hostel in Edinburgh on hostelworld, this was a good hostel but not excellent. We found that the hostel had maybe suffered from it's success, as with so many guests the cleanliness of the toilets and showers dropped. Things like shower and toilet locks were broken and some showers ran only cold water. It was still in an amazing location and the free tour was great! We didn't get a chance to do the pub crawl as it doesn't run on the weekend, but our roommates said it was pretty good. The only major thing preventing me from giving a higher score was unfortunately the higher management staff. At breakfast we heard one of the managers telling a worker off in the service area. It was very unpleasant seeing and hearing this and i wouldn't be inclined to come back to this hostel mainly for this reason. Be better to your staff please!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Caitlino90
Tucson, Arizona, United States
Reviewed January 7, 2013

After having multiple hostel adventures this one was one my favorite by far! The staff is just absolutely awesome, super friendly, fun and knowledgeable. The rooms are very spacious, clean and the beds are super comfy, the bathroom accomidations are plenty, spacious, clean and the showers are the best i have experienced. My favorite thing about this hostel is the amazing little cafe! They have a large variety of all kinds of yummy snacks and drinks. From hot meals, a variety of beers on tap and delicious hot coco. The atmosphere is laid-back and fun, the location and price cant be beat! I will say they really know how to host a pub-crawl :)

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Cologne, Germany
Reviewed January 2, 2013

In my opinion this hostel is a quite good choice to spend your days in Edinburgh.
The staff is very friendly and always has some answers to questions you're thinking/wondering about. I don't know if there's a better hostel/hotel somewhere, but this one is very central - for cheap prizes! You can get to the princess street (and the gardens), the castle and to the pubs within no time (you can reach everything you need within walking half an hour or less - without using busses).
The rooms are okay, well, at least you only have to sleep in them. You can meet many new people - when I was there I made friends from australia, poland, america and finland. There is a bar where you can drink and eat - it's not that cheap there, but if you do not want to go anywhere to get some food it's okay and delicious as well (if I remember correctly one drink costs about ₤3,5~ ... which is ok, I guess).
There is a kitchen on the first floor you can use for cooking your own food - but you have to keep everything clean yourself (like washing the dishes you recently used)!
The bathrooms are good as well. You can close the doors of the toilets and showers (at least on the first floor, I think someone told me you can't on the second one, but I'm not quite sure about that).
They also have their own wireless internet-connection you can use which is really cool - and some computers you can use for low prizes aren't missing!
Sometimes it's a bit noisy because pubs are really nearby, but really ok, you can sleep there very well, the beds are in a good condition as well.

So all in all it's a good choice to spend your days there. I think it's more interesting for younger backpackers, but totally fine for older ones as well (one of the australian guys I met is about 35 years old and enjoyed his days there). Since I was there with my school-class (a trip together before we all finish school next may and go seperate ways) I thought it would be worse there.
But I would spend my days/trips there anytime again.

Room Tip: If you want to meet more people from all over the world a room with 4 beds is totally fine for one p...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Antwerp, Belgium
Reviewed December 23, 2012

We stayed here at the budget backpackers for 3 nights, in a 6 person dorm. The showers are clean, but the bathroom isn't that warm. So it's a bit cool when you get out of the shower.
The restaurant/cafe is very cozy. In the morning it takes some time to get your breakfast, long queues at the checkout.
The location is fantastisch near the royal mile and Edinburgh Castle, but also next to some restaurants and bars. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed December 17, 2012

If you are in the early 20s age range and you are coming to Edinburgh for a night on the town this place could be just the thing.

Otherwise, like me, you may be severely disappointed.

The whole atmosphere of the hostel seems to be geared toward an early 20s party-type crowd: Instead of a quiet, cosy reading area they have a bar downstairs with cheap beers. They sponsor pub crawls. You get the idea.

I checked in and was assigned a room in 'Building two'. This building is just across the street. In fact this building is a truly bleak place. The room was very small for the number of beds in it, and smelled of old shoes.

I just couldn't bear to spend the night here and was thinking of just checking out altogether and going elsewhere.

I decided to ask the staff if I could switch to any other room in the main building. To my surprise, the staff were actually friendly and accommodating and allowed me to change, something which I was grateful for. If I knew the name of the helpful fellow at the front desk I would mention it here.

The room in the main building was much better. So I immediately felt much better staying here.

The kitchen upstairs is well stocked with pots and pans, but it is a bit of a zoo when the place is full. As I write this there are about 20 people in the kitchen.

Note that most of bathrooms and showers in this hostel are Co-Ed. (ie. Mixed). Maybe I'm a bit old-school, but I find this concept a bit disturbing.

I have high praise for the staff though. They seem to be are handling their job with as much grace as possible. I also like the fact that many of the people working at the desk are local.

Part of the problem was that this place was just not for me. The other thing is that I can't imagine anyone staying in Building Two and actually liking it.

Hats off to the staff though.

My rating:
Customer Service: Five stars,
Main Building: Two stars
Building 2: Zero stars

Room Tip: Try to not get put into Building Two. It is a truly bleak place.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed December 7, 2012

They have a nice bar, and the food is cheap and okay. The staff is friendly and they have good tours. The bathroom is also decent, but i would prefer bigger bathrooms. The room we stay in is not only tiny but also VERY COLD. I couldn't get a good night sleep because of all the loud noises from the street. Loud people and truck noises-I was up for practically the whole night. If you are looking for cosy, this isn't the place. I wouldn't come back here again.

• Stayed December 2012