Great place - if you don't mind mould, muck, no sleep and a rash. Stayed in the Cowgate hostel for one night - and never again. We (single mum and 2 kids) booked 6 weeks in advance, had written confirmation, but when I called the night before, they said they have no reservation. I should have left it with that, but I sorted it out. On arrival they promised to give us a mattress for the double - but we never got one, and in the end we had to move our 2 beds together, only to find big patches of mould on the walls. The bathrooms were a mess.
When I finally got to sleep at 3am because of people partying all night I only woke up one hour later by a couple of drunk girls screeching 'we are Americaans'. Next morning we tried to make breakfast in the kitchen, but empty vodka bottles, cigarettes and muck everywhere made us turn around instantly.
You might want to take a clean towel to cover your pillow, I developed a nasty rash around my eyes - I never had one before and I never had one since, so I still wonder where that came from...
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A hostel with a difference! Our 168 bed hostel contains 12 individually lockable apartments all fully fitted with their own toilet, shower rooms and kitchen/lounge including an oven, microwave, fridge freezer, toaster, plates, dishes, cutlery and cooking pots. An apartment sleeps between 8 and 22 people in a combination of 4 and 6 bed dorms and twin or double rooms. That's 12 fully fitted kitchens and 17 shower rooms with toilets plus 12 separate private toilets! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Orbitz, Booking.com, Agoda and Priceline so you can book your Cowgate Tourist Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cowgate Tourist Hotel Edinburgh
- Cowgate Tourist Hostel Edinburgh, Scotland