“Disgusting”

Cowgate Tourist Hostel
Ranked #144 of 212 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
“Disgusting”
Reviewed August 7, 2013

I stayed here a few days ago it is the Worst hostel I've ever stayed in! The staff are rude and don't listen to any problems or complaints you have the basically call you liars. There is no security at all! The key they give you can open the other rooms. The rooms are filty.The toilet and shower room are disgusting covered in mould and are filty. Our room was filty and had mould in it. Would not recommend this place to anyone!!!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank LeannelovesDavid

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Polish first
Reviewed August 2, 2013

Due to a family bereavement, I had to call and cancel my booking so that I will not get charged for the night. The staff were insensitive telling me that I should have cancelled "24hrs" before and the MANAGER kept hanging up the phone on me, in the middle of me trying to explain my situation I must admit I WAS VERY EMOTIONAL considering the circumstances. I personally think that they had my "black" accent and decided to be rude, but either way I intend to find a way to sue them or to get compasation for the harsh treatment I received today! If not that, I will make sure that I tell everyone I come in contact with about this. To the staff "learn to be sensitive, tomorrow it will be you"!

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank Blessing90

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Reviewed July 30, 2013

This is unbelievable but its truth, the rooms are in other building with makes the security awful and also I have heard sometimes there are some HOMELESS inside because the security code is not changed it frequently.Our issue was basically something that I think only happens here and Im quite sure the staff who are alright but know about it because I make a question and you could tell in their faces they did not know what to say.The fact is there are Extra guests in some rooms so our room it was meant for 6 and we were 8 and they have been there for long, but I have heard they are not the only ones!this is unbelievable I know but unfortunately this is truth.The facilities and cleanliness of the toilet are not too bad but the bed sheets are not changed frequently, our extra guests told that to us but anyways you can tell your sheets are not clean, there is a minimum of cleanliness and this is a basic one.The rooms smell like pig so badly.
The location is great.
I m so careless about writing reviews everytime I'm going to a hostel but about all because of the extra guests and homeless I think is something that none expects in a hostel and makes your stay very unsafe, I think everyone needs to know that because might you are lucky enough but like us we had to stay at least for just a night sleeping with 2extra guest in our room and one of them was sleeping when we arrived in one of our beds but well that's not matter at all when sheets are not cleaned frequently.

No vayais esto es asqueroso!El peor hostel de toda mi vida!Eramos un grupo de 4 en habitacion de 6, pero debido a la mala seguridad del hostel dormimos 8en la habitacion!Y Ellos no son Los Unicos extra huespedes en el hostel!!!a veces he oido que tambien hay sin techos dentro debido a la mala seguridad y al staff que parece darlo igual todo porq he casi nunca cambian las sabanas.
Creo que hay un minimo de limpieza y seguridad en un hostel que aqui no se cumple

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank IreneSpain89
Reviewed July 19, 2013

The room reeks of some horrible air "freshener" (?). It's vile. I tried to make it go away by opening the window and the door but it clung on like wall paper. Simply awful. Awful. Can't be healthy. Really uncosy place, all in all. Filthy. Dirt on the floor. Pubic hair in the bed. Clogged drains. I'd say: do not stay here.

• Stayed July 2013
Vilnius, Lithuania
Reviewed July 1, 2013

The hostel is located in the heart of old town so it is very comfortable to reach everything in walking distance. This is the only really big plus for this hostel. In general atmosphere is not very nice, the corridor to reach our room was a little bit creepy. The window of the room was facing open air pub so on weekends it must be noisy.Having WiFi only at the reception is also not very comfortable. This is not the cozy place that you would love to return but just for sleeping it's fine.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Birute M
Reviewed June 7, 2013 via mobile

Cowgate Tourist Hostel is right across from an extremely rowdy night club that literally has something happening every night, and from your room it's like you're inside of it... So if you want to get a good nights sleep this is not the place for you.
Not clean at all, very very old and scary looking walking up to the rooms. Showers and windows are gross so make sure you wear shoes and try not to stay in there for very long. Literally very loud women come and empty your garbage and spray Lysol on everything every day and that's it.

Reception was helpful if you have questions but closed at 11 and that's the only place to use wifi so that kind of sucked.

The bedrooms are only opened with your key so that's good but no storage inside at all, so if you're sharing with a bunch of people it's kinda sketchy.

The only good thing about this hostel was the location, literally close to everything by walking. Bars, restaurants, grocery stores and all the touristy stuff. I'd recommend walking up the hill by the Starbucks and going on one of the ghost tours, that was cool and ended right by the Cowgate hostels street.

• Stayed May 2013
Castleford, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Before we left we read some bad reviews about this place and were quite nervous of what we would find when we arrived - but we were pleasantly surprised, clean sheets, freshly ironed, clean room, comfy mattresses, lovely shower room that seemed new, though the lock took a bit of jimmying! The freezer was frozen shut, but the kitchen was otherwise nice with a comfy seating area and a nice big table! The staff were very helpful and friendly and though our booking hadn't gone through from hostelbookers.com, the lad at the reception sorted it out for us in about 3 minutes flat! Would stay there again in a jiffy, extremely basic but clean and comfy!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends