My friend and I stayed at the Cowsgate Hostel for 1 night on 23rd February 2008. It was my first trip to Edinburgh and I left wanting never to return. When we arrived we found out only a clean sheet is provided. We had to use pillowcases that were dirty (apparently they are changed once a week) and the duvet smelt awful. It was extremely unhygenic and never have I stayed in a hostel that does not provide full, clean linen for every person who checks in.
On the Saturday night at about 2am we were awoken by a large group of Irish men who proceeded to walk into our room as the lock was faulty. After finally getting them out of our room they wandered into their rooms where they continued to yell for the next hour until they (I assume) passed out. This was followed shortly after by another guest who didn't have a key so he spent the next hour trying to get through the door with his boot. After finally waking everyone up with his swearing and screaming he was let in to the floor but he didn't have a key to his room so unable to wake his mates (the ones I assume were passed out) he tried to get into our room. The lock held this time but he tried to get in for a good 15 minutes without any luck. Another occupant finally had a go at him and they argued for a while and finally roused someone in his room and he was off to bed.
Later that morning at 6am someone in a room further down the hall starting banging their beds against the wall (probably trying to get back at the noisy drunks who ensured no one got any sleep that night) for a good hour or so.
The next morning we complained at the front desk but as he was just the paid help there was nothing he could do. Can't really blame him for not caring. So we wrote a letter to Management on 29 Feb and still haven't heard a word back.
All in all the hostel was dirty, unsafe and way too expensive for what you get. I only wish we had read the reviews before we booked!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- A hostel with a difference! Our 168 bed hostel contains 12 individually lockable apartments all fully fitted with their own toilet, shower rooms and kitchen/lounge including an oven, microwave, fridge freezer, toaster, plates, dishes, cutlery and cooking pots. An apartment sleeps between 8 and 22 people in a combination of 4 and 6 bed dorms and twin or double rooms. That's 12 fully fitted kitchens and 17 shower rooms with toilets plus 12 separate private toilets! ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, Agoda and Orbitz so you can book your Cowgate Tourist Hostel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Cowgate Tourist Hotel Edinburgh
- Cowgate Tourist Hostel Edinburgh, Scotland