“The location is so nice!”
Review of Belford Hostel

Belford Hostel
Ranked #152 of 211 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
Padang, Indonesia
“The location is so nice!”
Reviewed September 10, 2010

I stayed in Belford Hostel on 3-5 September 2010, in female dorm
The hostel is good, the facilities is really ok but the staff is not as friendly as I hope
I did a mistake not in purpose, rang the bell three times just because I didnt read the notes beside the bell and one of staff got angry at me. They supposed to advise the guest how to use the important facility because not everybody familiar with the technology.
Thank you anyway...!
I love Edinburgh city....
Please be friendly next time

-Patra
from indonesia

Stayed September 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (28)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Melbourne
Reviewed September 3, 2010

ok so the good point about this hostel are..the locations in fine, about 15 mins walk from the city centre. The staff are very friendly although their english can be pretty bad.There were no bed bugs which is always a massive relief. The downsides of this hostel...its freezing 24/7, possibly because some of the windows are taped up with plastic and duct tape?! If you have to go to the toilet in the middle of the night its a freezing walk. Also the showers are nowhere near the dorms which is just annoying and there is absolutely no privacy in there because you have to strip off before you can get in the shower, which is fie is you dont mind people seeing you totally naked. Also, Wifi and breakfast are not provided which is pretty slack as most hostels do these days, its not like this place is any cheaper than others but it does lack these services. Wifi is not available even if you are happy to pay for it. The main issue with this hostel and I assure you is that its a HUGE issue, is that none of the dorm rooms have a roof. Which means you can hear everything from every single room. This includes hearing people having really loud sex as well as drunken antics ALL NIGHT LONG. The place is staffed 24/7 but they never do a walk thru the dorms to check on the noise levels. You will literally get no sleep. We even had stupid girls looking over their "wall" in to our room and just laughing etc for no reason. It was just pretty annoying. There is also no locker provided. We only took this place as a last resort because the Tattoo was on at the time. We would not return but at least there is no bed bugs...literally the noise was pretty unbearable I have no idea why they dont just cap the dorm rooms with a roof or get strict on quiet policies!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Macclesfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 1, 2010

I know hostels are about fun, and I had been warned about the lack of ceilings and locks in the dorms, so maybe I value my sleep and security more than I thought. The converted church is full of character, but the charm can soon be overlooked. When a bunch of guests rolled in at 4am and then continued to make noise for the next 2 hours, the place quickly lost its appeal. I never did find out who the culprits were, and the staff seemed pretty unconcerned the next morning, so maybe it really is just me.
I did see a couple follow another guest through the front door, with no staff on the front desk. Oh, and don't even attempt to check-in before 1pm, apparently it's on the website, as you will be told in no uncertain terms.
No problem with hot water though, as other reviewers have stated, and the walk from the city centre is pleasant enough if you go via Queensferry Street and along Belford Road.
For a single bloke, as a place to get a kip and a shower, this place would just about have sufficed; I'm pretty easy. When I then invited a friend (an "ex", as it happens) I was a bit embarrassed when we turned up at the Belford. On that basis, I shan't be recommending this place. Having said that, Edinburgh is just a superb place, which does make up for my disappointment at the hostel; the end of the Fringe and the weather (plus lozzing around in Princes St gardens, and the ballet, get me!!) were a superb way to spend a few days.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
Christchurch, New Zealand
Reviewed June 24, 2010

Do not stay here!!

Arrived here on a Saturday after a long bus trip from Liverpool to find I wasn't booked in - although I had a confirmation number to prove it.
I was finally put in an "extra" mixed dorm room even though I had requested a female dorm, and it was grimy!

Didn't get a wink of sleep that night as the dorm walls are only partitions so you can hear EVERYTHING in the church. People were drinking, snoring, talking, smoking ALL night.
Police even showed up and were doing interviews with suspects re. a bar fight - and I heard every detail.

I checked out the next day to another hostel and will never ever be back!!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
northants
Reviewed May 7, 2010

Staff were lovely, friendly, helpfull with advice made us feel welcome.
The rooms were very small, this wasnt an issue but the noise was I think the staff could have been more strict on groups that made alot of noise at 2 - 3 in the morning.
The living room, bar and kitchen facilities were spot on.
The showers and toilets could do with modernising tho for a short stay this place is ideal. Its in the west end of Edinburgh a little bit away from centre but was good to see this part of Edinburgh. Overall good experience just a few bits need improving and this place will be ideal xx

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank gnomeworld
Corby
Reviewed May 7, 2010

Easy to find and access. Great welcoming from the staff and gave us plenty of information we requested. Rooms were clean but very small and dark. I only spent one night there, but in the morning, all I could hear was other people as the rooms are only devided by a partition wall that is only about 10ft high. The common area and bar was great with plenty to look at on the ceiling. The paintings on the wall are great and all the guests were also very friendly. I would recommend this for a friend as a few nights stay but not a long term.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled with family
Paola
Reviewed February 8, 2010

Rooms were decently large & clean. Staff was nice but there was only one. Love the old church gothic style look. Bathroom was decently clean and the stay was also a fare price. The only thing that bothered me is that the kettle did not work, after boiling it once to get rid of germs as it was dirty it didn't work, changed the kettle with my mother hers was brand new and that did not work either so then we tried a different plug but to our surprise the heating and the plugs stopped working suddenly in our room so it was a cold night. Also did not like sharing a bathroom with people you do not know as our rooms did not have an en suite. Lastly one room we booked had an en suite but i m afraid it was not clean as it should be. All in all it was ok.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled with family