“A very good place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Belford Hostel

Belford Hostel
Ranked #143 of 215 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
Gembloux, Belgium
“A very good place to stay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

My friend and I were there for only three days, but it was great. The place to be if you are backpacking (or not). The staff memebers are cool and very helpfull and the place itself is great. It's clean and friendly.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Madrid, Spain
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 26, 2012

I've been here about 5 years ago, then everything was cleaner, newer and rooms had no roof... wich improved the experience as you sleep into an old church... looking at the wooden roof and the stained glass windows. NOW rooms has roof, and not well ventilated, so you change the enchant and view for a bad human smell. Toilets and common area (pub) are neglected. Now it's cheap but unpleasant.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank TopoSolitario

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

Istanbul, Turkey
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

Very small rooms, with almost no air. Dirty all over - toiletts, the bar, the kitchen. Poor showers, bad smell all over the hostel. No air circulation. We dared to use the cover for the pillows. In the kitchen, 3 never-cleaned refrigerators.. etc..etc.. etc..Absolutely a disaster for the price we had to pay of about 24 Pounds per person per night. More than 15 minutes walk from the city center. Sorry, but never never again...

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank DurrinC
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 21, 2012

Hi everyone,

This is my first ever review and sadly it is not a good one - I stayed at Belford Hostel with my boyfriend for a weekend over the Fringe Festival, and I have gotten back to London and realised I have been badly bitten by BED BUGS! I am covered in the bites, they do not change the sheets at all.

I had read a few reviews that there were bed bugs at this hostel, and I can now say it is honestly true. I now have to treat myself for the bites, not the best memory of a holiday.

Don't stay here, spend an extra £10 and go to a hostel which isn't full of bed bugs.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 19, 2012

Really friendly staff and a nice big room (we booked the only en-suite in the place). However, what we weren't told was that the room was right beside the door to the common room and the door from the common room kept banging really noisily literally all night as people came and went to the showers, toilets etc.... Also staff set off the alarm twice the first night we were there and once the second night as they brought recycling through the fire exit (bizarrely at around four in the morning!!) which was also beside our room. A simple solution would surely just be to put a spring hinge on the top of the door from the common room that would ensure it closes quietly!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Gothenburg, Sweden
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

Belford is a great place to stay. Friendly staff, clean and perfect if you want to stay a few days to just sleep (even if you´re not a backpacker). We didn´t use any of the facilities but they have a big big room with kitchen, 2-3 fridges, tv, bar, sofas, pooltable and free wifii. Very good standard on showerrooms and washingmachines and the whole place was charming and very clean. I guess its a dream for backpackers!
The surroundings are great and it only takes about 15-20 min to city center.

Perfect shopping, a lots of parks to relax in, sooo much to explore!!
Don´t miss the nice areas in Stockbridge with small vintage shops and Cuckoo´s Place for cupcake lovers :-))

/ Anna

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2012

For the cheap price I was expecting something aweful but when I arrived I found a clean, comfortable and friendly place to stay. While other's have pointed out that there was a lack of toilets I found this never affected me as I wasn't in the hostel for most of the day. The showers were lovely and warm with good pressure (better the hotels I've stayed in). The wreck room and kitchen were better than expected as well. There was a full kitchen, bar, TV room, pool table etc. The whole place was painted and decorated with flags and pictures adding to the atmosphere. The staff were friendly and helpful.

The only downside was the other people staying there. Aside from the obvious problem of people snoring the addition of wifi meant that some guests wouldn't talk to the other people staying there. I often found myself having great conversations with people from all over the world only to find out they were staff. This, however, did not put me off as it added to the experience.

It should be noted that the hostel is roughly 40 minutes walking distance away from the old town, where the fringe is mainly situated. I found this didn't affect my day much as I got some exercise and a better understanding of Edinburgh. I now know the city well enough that I could find my way around next year when I return to stay in the Belford.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends