“Wonderful place to stay, lovely people, beautiful room, excellent food.”

and 1 more site!
A Georgian Residence at No. 11 Moray Place
Ranked #112 of 393 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 17, 2010

11 Moray Place is a beautiful place to stay in the New Town of Edinburgh, very near all Edinburgh attractions but in a quiet, secluded and green area. We enjoyed a very friendly welcome, a beautiful and very spacious room and the most delicious Scottish breakfast. We would highly recommend this establishment.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for A Georgian Residence at No. 11 Moray Place

Reviewed October 13, 2009

My daughter and I visited Edinburgh for the first time in September and were lucky enough to pick this B&B located in a lovely Georgian terrace just below Charlotte Square. We had a room right at the top, twin beds, clean, light for only 60 pounds per night (30 pounds each). B reakfast is served in the beautiful dining room, freshly cooked full Scottish breakfast. Florence was very helpful and made suggestions where to dine at night, which was wonderful. This B&B is within the New Town, and walking distance from all the great sights. I will definitely return here when next in Edinburgh.

• Stayed: September 2009
Reviewed April 6, 2009

My husband and I stayed at 11 Moray Place over the weekend and it was perfect. Florence the Inn Keeper was lovely and very helpful. She made our dining reservations for both nights and catered to our needs and requests. Her breakfasts were outstanding. Our room was in the front of the townhouse, with huge Georgian windows and wonderful light. The room was very big, clean and comfortable. Much nicer than most hotels. She had bottles of water available in each room, and tea and coffee, with lovely china cups and saucers. Florence provided all the little details that made the stay just perfect. I would highly recommend this Inn. The location is perfect and the street very quiet and scenic. It is within walking distance to centre city, the castle and the royal mile. Edinburgh is now one of my favorite cities and staying at 11 Moray Place, made everything just right.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 1, 2008

Fed up with the overpriced city centre hotels in Edinburgh we decided to give A Georgian Residence a try and were very pleasantly surprised. Moray Place is a complete Georgian circus, and No. 11 has no sign outside to indicate that this is a hotel. Once inside the B&B occupies four floors, but not the ground floor. Florence Shanks the owner was very welcoming and our room was enormous. overlooking the gardens at the middle of the circus. The room was well supplied with toiletries and tea making things (plus shortbread!) and very comfortable. Other visitors said that their rooms on the top floor were a bit shabby, especially the bathroom, but ours was in very good order.
Breakfast, served at one long table in the dining room was excellent - no lunch needed! Mrs Shanks also gave us a key to the gardens - both in the circus but also some 'secret gardens' off a side road, which led down to the river.
Only about 20 minutes walk from Waverley Station and 10 minutes to Princes Street West End, this is an ideal city centre small hotel. Heartily recommended.

• Stayed: November 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 28, 2008

Well first of all it wasn't actually me who stayed it was my parents but I booked it for them for their birthdays. Let me say that apparently the room (the suite on the top floor) was lovely with nice views out of every window, and was pretty central to all the sights of Edinburgh.

The only trouble was the matter of payment. I booked the room in September online, using the 'secure payment' feature on the website. I filled in all my bank details and confirmed the amount (300 pounds for 3 nights) and since it was 'secure payment' and I received an automated email confirming the booking, and a personal one from the landlady, I assumed it was paid for as to me secure payment implies payment?! Apparently not. On the website it also gives the option of 'special requirements'. I politely asked if some reference to my mum's 50th birthday could be made and the landlady said in her email she would do this.

It wasn't until the day they got back, last weekend, that I nipped round and found out that a) no mention of my mum's birthday had been made which upset me because I could have arranged for flowers to be delivered, etc if it were a problem, and more importantly b) my mum said that the landlady was faffing that morning taking payment but she couldn't as she didn't have my PIN number. Obviously she should have taken the money a month ago and she would not need a pin number to do this. I was distraught as I am a student and did not have a spare 300 pounds to pay, at the time I paid I had a lot of money in my account so when I checked my balance it looked like it had gone ( i had a lot of books to pay for for the start of term). My mum had to ring her and pay for her birthday present herself which was totally embarrassing for me, not after the silly woman ranted at my mum that it was obvious payment wouldn't have been taken (I double checked her emails and the website, DEFINITELY says secure payment, no mention of it being taken after the stay, both emails confirm booking NOT reservation) like I was some stupid school girl.

To date, nearly 2 weeks later, my mum has not received a receipt which maybe I am being fussy but I would have thought a good business manager would acknowledge the payment in some way.

• Stayed: October 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Munchkin86
Reviewed August 4, 2008

Stayed one night at "A Georgian Residence" and we loved it. Booked through late room . com .
For £90 we had a huge suite overlooking the rooftops of Edinburgh with a queensize bed, chaise longue and traditional furnishings, which although a bit tired in parts, contributed to the atmosphere.
Little touches like the proper china cups for tea and coffee and breakfast seated at the huge dining table made it seem more like a stay in someones elegant home rather than in
a commercial enterprise.
The property is also only minutes away from all the main attractions and we found we were able to comforably walk to everything we wanted to see.
it was a very relaxed ,friendly and peaceful stay and we would definitely stay there again.
Im not sure however how suitable it would be for small children as it is on several floors .

• Stayed: July 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 13, 2007

I would strongly urge you to check this place's cancellation policy - no matter for what reason, if you cancellation with less than 1 week's notice, you get the full charge made to your credit card. Shame they didn't return our call to tell us. Also, they had actually re-let the room but forgot to tell us until I chased, too! Most places will charge for only one night but if you've booked a double room b&b for a few nights, it'll hit your wallet big time.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled on business