“Very nice, clean and great location!”

The Edinburgh Townhouse
Ranked #39 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Dublin, Ireland
“Very nice, clean and great location!”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

excellent accomodation,great value for moneyin the centre of Edinburgh. Walking distance to most sights. Very friendly and accomodating staff, overall great experiance. The only minues that I can find is stairs...some rooms are located on the 4th floor and no lift so defnitely not buggy friendly.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (59)
  • Czech first
Isle of Lewis, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 28, 2012

We stayed for just a single night in this hotel but had we needed to, we would have been very happy to stay longer. The location is as central as it gets: 100 meters off Princes Street. Absolutely ideal for anyone doing some shopping or seeing the sights. Loads a great eateries within minutes of the front door. Attentive staff. And here's the thing. When I booked, in my haste, I clicked purchase for the wrong day. I booked through Late Rooms and suspected that that would be that and I would have to pay a second time. Not at all. I phoned the hotel straight away and they immediately agreed to change the booking to the correct night and honoured the original price. Way beyond the call of duty. OK, so there are a few steps to negotiate to get to the second floor where all the bedrooms are. As long as you are relatively fit, they are no problem at all. Highly recommended. We would definitely return.

Sure there are some stairs to go up to get to the hotel but

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thunder Bay
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed at the Edinburgh Townhouse for five nights. The location was central and perfect for a solo traveller, which was the main reason I choose this guesthouse.

I was very happy with my first room, but at breakfast on the third day I was told that I had to move rooms that day and that I should have been told this when I checked in. I hadn't been and when I spoke to the owner about not being happy with having to pack everything up and move, his response was "Well what do you want me to do?"

My second room was at the back and for some reason the wifi service was terrible. When I spoke to the owner to see if something could be done, he suggested I sit in the breakfast room. When I wasn’t real happy with this solution again he asked, “Well what do you want me to do?” To be honest, I found his attitude strange as if costumer service was an inconvenience. I don’t expect everything to be perfect in any hotel, but I do place a high value on customer service. Surprisingly, the housekeeper was very friendly and couldn’t do enough to be helpful.

Despite the great location, I won’t be staying there again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Aleigha
edinburghtown10, Owner at The Edinburgh Townhouse, responded to this review, November 29, 2012
In responce to the ladys comments on the wi-fi.

British Tel. had been having problems which was out with my control. And promised to fix the problem as soon as, which they did within 2 days.
The lady was offered to use the dining room at any time as we were getting a better signal.
2 days after the lady left we were supplied with a more powerfull router.
As explained to the lady we are a 200 yr old building, in the centre of Edinburgh.
We have had wi-fi , for 1yr now,which customers are not charged for , and have not any complaints before.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed September 13, 2012

My vacation was on the verge of collapsing. My credit card was defrauded and canceled. I needed a new one fast and I was between plane and train in London. I had the bank send a new one to my Edinburgh hotel. I was so happy that when I appeared before the check in (the Caledonian Sleeper pulls in at 7:15am) and spoke with the young woman on staff. She hadn't received anything yet but she would put the package in the room. She did. She was kind to this tired, cold Californian; making certain on a very frosty day the heat in the room was up. She had to upgrade me because of a sudden influx of guests and gave me a wonderfully comfortable room better than what I booked.

A walk up? You bet. There is no lift so this is a hotel for the fit only. You also must be buzzed in until you are given your key. For me that gives a nice sense of security. People can't just wander in off the street.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 9, 2012

An honest view on The Edinburgh Townhouse Guesthouse:
Yes this is situated in a very good location but so are very many others in this area.
It is a standard B&B that charges it's guests hotel prices !
Unless you are VERY fit, don't mind carrying your own bags up and down LOTS of stairs and having to walk up and down those same stairs EVERY time you go in or out the place DO NOT BOOK this B&B. My advice is think hard prior to booking a stay here.

Room Tip: Do not accept the top floor
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank SteveLloyd123
Ottawa
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Compared to other much better hotels and B&Bs we stayed at in Glasgow and Bath, the price was excessive. Our hotel in Glasgow cost us L80 per night, vs L120 at the Edinburgh Townhouse. We think this probably reflects the market; Edinburgh being more expensive than those two cities. If we were to return to Edinburgh, we might sacrifice location for a better price.

The bathroom could have been more convenient - some horizontal shelf-space for toiletries would be great.

Also, this was the only hotel we visited in GB that did not provide decent reading light for reading in bed, the only place in the room where we could read.

Finally, while the interior of the hotel is clean, the stairway to get up there smelled a bit musty.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank toerist
Aspatria
Reviewed July 1, 2012

A good quality B&B according to their website. Indeed, the place was very clean, and the hostess was very attentive and pleasant. However, what their website does not tell you about are the 85 stairs if you happen to be on the top floor, or even the 65 stairs to the foyer! A most unusual layout. My friend and I stayed there yesterday and she has a minor disability. We would not have booked this place had the owner been honest on his site! If you are not the fittest in the world, don't go!!

Room Tip: We had a noisy room. Don't go!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Mary A
, Owner at The Edinburgh Townhouse, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
In responce to the lady , who left a reveiw on the 1st off July. It is clearly stated on our web site www.edinburgh-townhouse.co.uk home page
The Edinburgh Townhouse is situated on the 3rd.floor off a Georgian Townhouse . Please be aware , we do not have an elevator,and is not suitable for people who have trouble climbing stairs.
We are an A-listed building that was built back in the early 1800s. The stairs are part of the history off the building.
The womans friend mentioned to my housekeeper , she had read something about the stairs.
we helped with luggage, on arrival and on them departing. we hope this did spoil there few days with us.