“very well located, but pricy”

The Edinburgh Townhouse
Ranked #41 of 392 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Ottawa
“very well located, but pricy”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

Compared to other much better hotels and B&Bs we stayed at in Glasgow and Bath, the price was excessive. Our hotel in Glasgow cost us L80 per night, vs L120 at the Edinburgh Townhouse. We think this probably reflects the market; Edinburgh being more expensive than those two cities. If we were to return to Edinburgh, we might sacrifice location for a better price.

The bathroom could have been more convenient - some horizontal shelf-space for toiletries would be great.

Also, this was the only hotel we visited in GB that did not provide decent reading light for reading in bed, the only place in the room where we could read.

Finally, while the interior of the hotel is clean, the stairway to get up there smelled a bit musty.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank toerist

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
  • Czech first
Aspatria
Reviewed July 1, 2012

A good quality B&B according to their website. Indeed, the place was very clean, and the hostess was very attentive and pleasant. However, what their website does not tell you about are the 85 stairs if you happen to be on the top floor, or even the 65 stairs to the foyer! A most unusual layout. My friend and I stayed there yesterday and she has a minor disability. We would not have booked this place had the owner been honest on his site! If you are not the fittest in the world, don't go!!

Room Tip: We had a noisy room. Don't go!
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank Mary A
, Owner at The Edinburgh Townhouse, responded to this review, July 3, 2012
In responce to the lady , who left a reveiw on the 1st off July. It is clearly stated on our web site www.edinburgh-townhouse.co.uk home page
The Edinburgh Townhouse is situated on the 3rd.floor off a Georgian Townhouse . Please be aware , we do not have an elevator,and is not suitable for people who have trouble climbing stairs.
We are an A-listed building that was built back in the early 1800s. The stairs are part of the history off the building.
The womans friend mentioned to my housekeeper , she had read something about the stairs.
we helped with luggage, on arrival and on them departing. we hope this did spoil there few days with us.
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 28, 2012

The owner and staff were helpful and friendly, and the room was very pleasant. The room we had been booked in had had a flood and we were relocated to a larger room, without the en suite bathroom, but for no extra cost. Unfortunately the room we were given was an attic room with a lower ceiling which meant that at 6' 3" I had to stoop when standing - this is a small issue really, and didn't spoil anything for us. Excellent location for Castle and George St. amenities.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank John G
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 19, 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at the Edinburgh Townhouse! The outside is a little noisy but other than that this was the perfect location. The front lobby person was extremely nice and went out of their way to make sure everything was great for my wife and I. I would recommend this place to anyone!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Sandhurst, UK
Reviewed June 12, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights because I was doing the Edinburgh Moonwalk, and picked the central location because I thought it would be best as a solo traveller.

When you go through the door, you are greeted with 5 small flights of stairs, 45 in all, with drab cream walls and a brown carpet. Not very welcoming. However at the top, there is another door and you go into a much nicer hallway. Note that there is no lift so this hotel is no good if you have mobility problems.

The housekeeper (Elena?) took my case from me for the last few steps. She was incredibly welcoming. My single room was fortunately on the first level which has rooms. She explained the keys to me, pointed out the blind at the window (which wasn't that obvious), and showed me the various switches for the bathroom - switches for the fan and to get immediate hot water are outside. My room was small but comfortable and fine for my needs - just a base for the weekend. I think it used to be a maid's room - the bell panel is above the door. The sign on the back of the door gives breakfast times and also the wi-fi code. This worked well for both my iPhone and iPad. There are tea/coffee making facilities in the room although as always, it's long life milk.

The bathroom is very compact but for just one person, I can't see a problem with this. The basin is very small but there is a corner shelf so somewhere to put things, and a towel hook. The shower was hot but the temperature is very sensitive - you don't need to move it much to get very hot or very cold water.

The room (no 10) looked out over a courtyard at the back and there was a bit of noise when the bins were emptied but it wasn't ridiculously early so not a problem. When I came back mid afternoon, the sun was shining in the room so leaving the blind down might have been better to keep the room cooler. The window doesn't actually open. The one thing which could do with a bit of attention is the small chest of drawers. The front of the middle drawer is loose and the bottom drawer wouldn't open because the front came off if you pulled it.

Breakfast is only continental so don't stay here if you want your eggs and bacon in the morning. There was orange juice, a choice of different cereals, yogurt, fruit, ham, cheese, croissants and toast, as much as you wanted to eat. Also tea or coffee.

The location of the hotel is fantastic. It's just off George Street, very near Princes Street and the bus from the airport stopped about 50 yards from the door. Really easy to get to and very central for seeing the sights Edinburgh has to offer.

I was after a reasonably priced base for a couple of nights while I took part in an event and this certainly ticked all the boxes for me.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank Good Names All Gone!
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 1, 2012

Just returned from a lovely long weekend away in Edinburgh. The location is perfect for all the sights, both old and new town. Short walk from the train station and the beautiful Princes Gardens. Staff were very friendly, showed us around and explained breakfast and other facilities on arrival. The room was comfortable and had plenty of space for a few nights. Breakfast was a simple Continental, all you can eat. Would definitely return and recommend to friends.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TamariskBelle
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2012

Had a great 5 night stay. The Latvian lady housekeeper couldn't have been more helpful to make my stay more comfortable. Stayed in a single room on the 3rd (which is really the first accommodation) floor. Rarely eat breakfast, but what I saw of the continental breakfast there was all you could eat. The stairs might put a few people off plus there is no lift. Also, if you get a back facing room there is a little noise during the night due to corporation cleansing workers, etc. Needless to say these things didn't bother me, and in a strange way found them comforting! The room was an immaculately clean, en suite with 3/4 size bed. Will definitely stay again if/when in town, no hesitation.

Room Tip: Get a front facing room!
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business