“consistantly good” 4 of 5 stars
Review of The Carlton Hotel

You added The Carlton Hotel to your Saves list
The Carlton Hotel
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   19 North Bridge, Edinburgh EH1 1SD, Scotland (Old Town)   |
Ranked #121 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Peterborough, United Kingdom
“consistantly good”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

M and I have just returned 28th -30th November 12 from our 6th visit to the Carlton (would have been 9 but fully booked on other occasions). Once again we found the staff in all departments from check in to departure to be polite, efficient and courteous. Our bedroom, was huge as was the bed and bathroom and exceptionally clean, plus fluffy bath robes AND slippers along with all the usual complementary hot drinks and toiletries. We had lovely views onto the Royal Mile from the turret in our bedroom. Breakfasts are plentiful and with a large choice to suit all requirements. It really sets you up for the day. The bar is spacious, and afternoon teas are brilliant.The hotel to very clean in all public areas,and really looks and acts the part of a 4* hotel.
Our only grouse was the on the first night when we dined in the service in the Bridge Restaurant was very slow, mainly due to the total lack of staff on. One (very polite and efficient) waitress taking your order, who, when someone ordered a glass of wine, had to walk all the way to the Bridge bar to obtain it, (This is quite a distance) therefore leaving customers sitting at tables, waiting to give their orders.Plus there only seemed to be one waiter on working from the kitchen which did not help. Dinner menu and food was excellent. Overall a most enjoyable stay and we look forward to our next visit to the Carlton.

Room Tip: Look out for special offers in the press/on line for 2 and night breaks as rack rates are quite high...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (635)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dartford, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012 via mobile

Good hotel. Courteous and efficient staff. Brilliant location right in the centre of town by all the attractions but ironically that brings the biggest drawback - this is not the place to go for a restful nights sleep. Constant road and general city centre activity noise. And the hotel itself is creaky and noisy given its age. Well appointed though. My room was small but clean and had everything I needed. Very nice bar area on first floor. The ubiquitous and slightly disappointing rubber egg breakfast buffet experience that seems to be par for the course these days. Didn't eat a main meal so can't comment on that nor did I use the spa. I'd use again but take ear plugs next time.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank Ybabobmij
cheshire
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Booked this hotel well in advance then found on arrival it was full. Not my problem their system went down two days earlier and they did have my phone number and e-mail address. Ok they found me another hotel but it was further away from the city centre than I wanted so I will not be going back.

Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank wornoutbootsCheshire

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

scotland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2012

Before continuing I will say all staff were courteous and polite. It was the facilities I had a problem with. Had booked a 5 pm deal at a cost of £75 for 2,with Lunch and glass of proseco.
The pool area was dimly lit and on closer examination the walls and ceiling were really black and mouldy looking. Paint was falling off the walls and I dread to think what the canopy slung over the pool was hiding. My treatments were average. Had to get into lift,travel 5 flights and walk through bedroom corridors in my robe and slippers-glad I didn't meet anyone!!!!!. The room was a converted bedroom with no ambience to help me relax and enjoy my treatment. After my treatment had to sit in room until therapist had prepared it for the next client. Then it was back through the corridors and down to spa.
Decided to get changed to go for lunch-tried to give us afternoon tea at first!!!! Lunch consisted of soup -ok and I had pasta that had been overcooked and tasteless. My husband took the cold cut platter the cheapest looking cold cuts I've ever seen.
Certainly not worth £75 and would have been extremely upset if I had paid full price

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jintyminty
Western Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

We stayed the nights of 25 th and 26th of October, booked from Australia. In contrast with most hotels in Europe, the double room was large and airy, and we had no problem with street noise. There was a little trouble checking in, but the concierge did a mighty job in sorting the problem and getting us to our room. Cleanliness was not an issue, and the bathroom was a good size. We ate a very good evening meal with first class service. The location, just around the corner from the Royal Mile and a few minutes walk from the Town centre, is MADE for shopping. The malt whisky shop just round the corner has three hundred varieties of single malt.....

I was very pleased with my stay, and will certainly be back. Full marks to the Carlton.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank TwoAlpha
bandon, county cork
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Our room was quite nice and very clean. The location is excellent as the hotel is situated more or less in between Princes Street and the Royal Mile.

I tried out the spa. Everything works, ie the steam is good and the jacuzzi and sauna are hot. But oh dear, it's just so dingy and in desperate need of refurbishment. I couldn't figure out if it's actually a public facility which the hotel is allowed to use for its guests. In any case, this facility in its present state lets the hotel down badly.

Breakfast is a buffet and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was. The staff were very attentive and we were able to store our bags for the day.

I definitely wouldn't choose this hotel for a spa vacation but if you are keen to be in a central location, it's is a reasonable choice. I was of two minds whether to rank it three or four stars.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

Put my parents here for the location. Initially, their room was on the third floor next to housekeeping and VERY loud. We called the front desk, and they quickly put them in a top floor room that was HUGE! It was beautiful and the view was great. I would say the concierge was not perfect, and when I asked him to make a tee time for my father, he seemed confused as to why I was asking. For breakfast, I encouraged them to eat breakfast at the Patisserie Valerie next door because it is great food with great prices...must better than hotel food. I would recommend them for breakfast. Nothing beats a great danish! But the Carlton is perfect for a week in edinburgh

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family