“Great Location - Lovely Hotel - Good View of Castle!”

Apex Grassmarket Hotel
Ranked #88 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Reviewed November 12, 2012

Stayed here with boyfriend, i have stayed here previously and the room wasn`t as nice, this room was definitely the best, had our own balcony facing the castle. No problems at all nice stay , great location being on grassmarket, would recommend this hotel or any of the apex hotels they are all good. The best part is the rubber duck :)

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed at the Apex International on business for 2 nights in November. The location of the hotel is excellent in Grassmarket Edinburgh, looking out onto the castle and in very close proximity to a number of bars and restaurants.
I walked to the hotel from the Edinburgh Waverley station. The walk took me around 15 minutes but I arrived at the hotel with a sweat patch and a bit short of breath, due to the first 10 minutes of the walk being up a relatively steep hill.
I was checked in by the excellent Monika who was a credit to the hotel both when checking in and when checking out. First impressions count and she was a little gem.
My room was large and had a very nice view of the castle. The room had a 42" tv on the wall, was spotlessly clean and came with a number of toiletries, tea, coffee etc. My room had a double shower which was a bit of a let down, as when I stop over in a hotel on business I prefer a bath at the end of the day to help me wind down and to also kill an hour or so. This room didn't have a bath. although for some I can imagine this won't be a deal breaker.
Unfortunately what let the stay down for me was the pillows. The bed had around 4 cushions on it and 4 duck feather pillows. I would have swapped the lot for one harder pillow. Even when I put 3 pillows on top of one another my head still sunk to the bottom of them and it was as if they weren't there. The hotel chain should follow the example of the Holiday Inn hotels that tend to have one of each (soft and hard).
The hotel provided a bottle of still and fizzy mineral water, but when I drunk the still water on the first night this wasn't replaced for the second night which I thought indicated penny pinching.
On the first night I had my evening meal in the downstairs bistro/restaurant and the fish pie was nice and good value for money.
Breakfasts in the hotel were superb and the heights restaurant where breakfast is served (5th floor of the hotel) is stunning and again has great views of the castle. A minor gripe was on the second morning the bacon was missed off my order. However overall the cooked scottish breakfasts served in this hotel are very nice (especially the haggis).
So in a nutshell:

Positives:

Location
Monika
large tv on wall
clean rooms
breakfasts
heights restaurant (plus the views)
Mineral water on first night.
Modern feel throughout the hotel

negatives:

Awful pillows.
Not all rooms have a bath
No water on second night if drunk on the first night
Bacon tends to go awol

Room Tip: Bring your own pillows.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 10, 2012

My title should indicate how good our visit was to the Apex International, it was great. I have a few pain points but in general the hotel was fanstaic. I stayed in the hotel about 14 years ago when my interests were Rugby focused. It was really refreshing to come back to the hotel which is now very Family focused.

Okay the bad points and they are small :

We arrived at 9am and asked to be called when our room would be free as we explored Edinburgh, receptionist said 2pm. We came back with the kids at 1pm for a coffee and asked if the room was free to be told that it was and why we were not given an earlier room.

The bar man after 6pm, if you dont like your job pls dont do it, as the negativity it rolls off on everybody who comes into contact with you.

Breakfast prices should be reviewed

Good Points

Your Manager/Male Recptionist who made all our party feel so welcome throughout our entire stay.The sad point that he was off duty the morning we left as we were unable to show our gratitdude. This person is a member of staff that really made our stay and i am sure he is well recognised by other residents.

The Pool & Gym as fantastic small, and not busy, I really enjoyed them.

Cleanliness, cant say anymore.

Not forgetting free food for kids. Great to realx in the bar early with the kids and enjoy very very good food

I probably have said to much which means that the the Apex will be booked out next year and I cant afford to stay here !!!

I will Definately Stay here again.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Dino1000
Reviewed November 10, 2012

Located on the Grassmarket makes the location very good. It is a short walk to the castle, National Museum and Royal Mile. The rooms were clean and spacious and the bathroom is also nice but the hot water could have been a little warmer but I just love a piping hot shower. Loved the breakfast view overlooking the castle and the full Scottish breakfast was really nice. Staff at the reception were very friendly and check in quick quick. There is a small pool and small gym but I didn't make use of these so can't comment. Only real concern was that the room was a little on the warm side and due to its central location, opening the windows was not an over night option. A good hotel for the money and would consider staying here again.

Room Tip: Rooms with a castle view are nice but not essential.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 9, 2012

Great hotel with very good placement. Incredibly nice view from the Restaurant. Close to the Royal mile and even shorter to good pubs. Great Scottish breakfast with haggis and everything. A bit silly with the high age limit for children to use the pool alone (16).

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed November 8, 2012

My husband and I spent 4 nights at the Apex International. The location is excellent for seeing the sights, dining and shopping. The staff was very helpful, particularly, a young man who works at the front desk. He was quite helpful in making recommendations and told us a very easy way to get to St. Andrews by train and bus. The room was clean, if small. I would recommend staying there.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed November 8, 2012 via mobile

The hotel has a great location especially as I was in a front room overlooking the castle. Restaurant on the fifth floor has an even better view.

Stayed at a few Apex hotels now and always been happy. Staff were very helpful - I arrived very early and they were able to quickly find me a room which made life much easier for me. Room was large and had a very comfortable bed. All fittings, shower etc good quality, good condition and working.

Breakfast was tasty. Only negative thing I could possibly say is that it took 10 minutes or so to get a breakfast table and for most of that time there was no one on the desk as they were busy seating others and arranging for tables to be reset. Maybe one more member of staff at the front at busy breakfast times might help? But didn't detract from a great stay and definitely recommended hotel.

• Stayed: November 2012