“Brilliant fun - sorry about the towels!”

Travelodge Edinburgh Central Princes Street
Ranked #61 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Derby, England, United Kingdom
“Brilliant fun - sorry about the towels!”
Reviewed September 30, 2013

We stayed here during a 5 day trip to Edinburgh to celebrate birthdays! The rooms were spotless, the bed was sooooo comfy and the shower was much welcome after a 5 hour car journey! The entrance to the hotel is down a dodgy looking alleyway but don't let this put you off! It's a lovely relaxing hotel AND if you're as lazy as me you can send your partner down the alley for macdonalds breakfast in the morning! My only issue was the fact I had recently dyed my hair and instead of leaving me the one towel I had destroyed to use for my trip, a new one was brought to replace it every day thus making me feel rather guilty !

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (204)
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Having spent 4 nights here recently my overall opinion is Good. Reception was adequate and the room, although missing towels on arrival, was good. First time stay at a Travel Lodge but it wouldnt be my last if another fair priced deal was available. Our party had 2 rooms on different floors but we are all in agreement with this revue. Entrance on Meuse Lane not as bad as some reviewers make out, but certainly could be better. Once inside it is totally, pleasantly an improvement. Location for the Waverley train station is less than 5 minutes walk and 2 mins. onto Princes St. or Rose St. If you are looking for the Ritz this aint for you. There is a massive Wetherspoons, The Standing Order approx. 5/7 mins walk with an entrance from Rose St. that serves breakfasts from 8am Every day at super prices. (Main entrance on George St.) Make it work for you, enjoy Edinburgh.

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 30, 2013

Very clean and tidy.and i would recommend this hotel to anyone this hotel is within walking distance of any thing you want to do in Edinburgh, and the service was very friendly eating out was wonderful my only complaint was the lane at the hotel but for me 99% is good in anyones book well done Travelodge.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with Travelodge

Wales
Reviewed September 23, 2013

I stayed here whilst on a business trip to Edinburgh for one night. The entrance to the hotel is down a service alley with industrial bins lining the road, very odd for a hotel entrance, this would I imagine make a lone female very uncomfortable as its not well lit and very quiet. The hotel does not have a restaurant so does not serve dinner or breakfast. The hotel is basic, but clean. I was given a disabled room, which was big but all the adaptions did make me feel uncomfortable. The room was clean, the bed very comfortable, however it was basic. There is not a lot to say about the hotel as there is not a lot there, apart from a room and a bed. Cheap option if your looking for a central location, but if you want more then forget it.

Room Tip: Try to avoid a room overlooking the road outside. The Bins get emptied early!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed September 21, 2013

We were a bit lazy when it came to booking hotel rooms and even though we were scheduled to fly from Edinburgh to London (so kind of had to stay there) didn't bother to book until about a week beforehand. The room had gone up to £67 a night from the 40-something pounds I'd found earlier. It was still much better value than other hotels in the area so I can't really complain about the price, can I? Room was great - overlooking Princes St and out to the castle. Amazing at night! The room was also fairly large for a Travelodge, which is the opposite of what I'd expect in the centre of the city where space would be at a premium. It was easily twice the size of other Travelodge rooms we'd stayed in. Strange, but good. The window was absolutely enormous. I'm not short and had I stood up on the window ledge it still would have been taller than me. Cleaners very stingy with the toilet paper for some reason. I was relegated to the single bed, although to be fair it's about 3/4 of a single bed. Not that comfortable, but my mother, who had the double bed, said she had a fantastic sleep. So I guess if you're going to stay there, either have good reason to claim the double bed ('I'm much older than you and I'm paying for this trip so you can sleep on the single' is as good as any) or be very short.

I have to agree that the entrance is probably not the best. I didn't feel unsafe there at any time as there were always people at either end of the alley and on duty at reception, but then again I can be so stingy I'll wait 20 minutes on a deserted street to catch a 3am airport bus. Maybe the alley was a bit dirty, but if I'm staying in a Travelodge I'm probably not overly concerned about cleanliness. Loved how close it was to the tour buses (open top buses are my favourite holiday indulgence) and the gallery.

Room Tip: Ask for one of the rooms with tall windows overlooking Princess St.
Findhorn, United Kingdom
Reviewed September 19, 2013

stayed here on sat 14th sept and wed 18th sept close to everything ideal location for pubs clubs and attractions staff were very friendly rooms were an excellent size and very clean only 4 min walk from coach /rail stations would definetly book again

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank christopherandtracey
Wales
Reviewed September 18, 2013

Having stayed in many Travelodges all over the country we were horrified to find that this one has an entrance in a side street which can only be described as disgusting. Large Commercial rubbish bins right opposite the entrance spilling their contents into the whole street. Dirty, Squalid, and smelly! Not what we expect from this company at all. Beware if you are booking there. The staff were trying to sort it out with the council apparently. Rooms were very good but this spoiled the stay. The photo on the web does not show this side of the hotel at all.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
TravelodgeUK, Dianne from Customer Care at Travelodge Edinburgh Central Princes Street, responded to this review, September 24, 2013
We are sorry to learn of your disappointment with the entrance of our hotel bonesandco. Unfortunately being in a busy city centre the entrance is also shared with other local businesses who use the area near the hotel to store their refuse collection. Unfortunately this is beyond our control but staff recognise the need to offer guests a warm welcome. We're obviously pleased to read your positive comments regarding the room, we have recently freshened up the hotel with a full makeover and put new pocket sprung king-size beds in every room.