“Well worth it!”

St. Christopher's Inn Edinburgh
Ranked #52 of 215 Specialty Lodging in Edinburgh
“Well worth it!”
Reviewed May 2, 2014 via mobile

The accomodation is a little grungy (not in a bad way) and simpler than a lot of other similarly-priced hostels, but St Christopher's is well worth it for the fabulous location and friendly staff. Would definately stay there again!

Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed April 27, 2014

It is quite a nice hostel. The staff were amazing! Be aware that there is only wifi on the two bottom levels (chill out lounge and cafe) and also, the toilets/showers were co-ed. I met fantastic people in my dorm and the location was amazing! The location really made the hostel fantastic.
I would recommend this hostel to friends.

Room Tip: Maybe choose a room on a lower level to get wifi? But it might be a bit louder.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 21, 2014

St Christopher's inn Edinburgh was recommended to us by another hostel.
On arrival for a three night stay, staff were friendly! We entered our room to find hair all over our pillows, after a 2second shower the water went cold, when I told staff they moved us to another room. We weren't very happy at this stage.
In our new room like you do, we checked the pillows again and lucky us found a pubic hair on one of the pillows and hair still all over pillows on other beds! Rooms were just dirty!
We are not fussy girls we have stayed in many hostels and to date this has been one of the worst!
The staff and location was great. But overall it was totally overpriced for the quality or lack of quality! We would not recommend this hostel to anyone :(

• Stayed April 2014, traveled with friends

Travelers are raving about these Edinburgh hotels

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 11, 2014

Stayed here for one night in a dorm.

Location:

Great location - the hostel is right next to the main train station and therefore also in the very city centre within a short walk's reach of all the main attractions.

Staff:

Staff was friendly and helpful.

Hostel and room:

The room was a massive dorm with adjacent bathroom which was as clean as it gets with 16 people using it. When you're used to hostels, this is an ok standard. I particularly appreciated that you are provided with a huge metal box underneah your bed which can comfortably be used to store all belongings and lock them away. I had brought my own lock which was the quickest way to lock it but you can probably rent one in the hostel.

Cost:

The place was quite cheap at 10 GBP per night in a central location including a good breakfast buffet.

Overall rating:

When you are used to hostels, this is a decent place to stay.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank juliajuliejulia
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed April 9, 2014

The best is the location of this hostel, just across the railway station. We stayed in mixed dorm, old building, but has its charm, the bathroom is dedicated to every room. Location, perfect, just behind is the Royal Mile, and under the hostel very good bars! Recommended.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 22, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here Jan '11. Only reviewing now. Not a bad place, I haven't had an issue with any St Christopher's hostels. Food and staff were lovely, rooms tidy. We had a fantastic Australia Day here. Location was great. Would recommend and stay again.

• Stayed January 2014
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2014

Let's see. I have been to beautiful accommodation where the experience was ruined by horrible staff. In this case, this is a poorly planned and maintained hostel where the friendly staff somewhat enhances the stay, as much as the limited circumstances allow.

I would say that the strongest points here are the location, the friendly staff and that you sort of have a bed to sleep in and a roof over your head but that is pretty much where it all stops.

I found the hostel extremely uncomfortable. I have stayed at fully-occupied and somewhat shabby hostel rooms for up to 16 and 18 people without much of a problem so when I booked, I confidently chose the 14-bed shared dormitory. The price seemed to be quite good and my reasoning was "if I have stayed in dormitories designed for more guests, surely I can pull this off". Well, not quite and this dormitory was not even fully-booked. God knows what it feels like when it is. Luckily enough, I only planned to stay there three nights.

My room was the Sherlock Holmes themed one. I can say it is a beautiful room. That fact stands out even if it is slightly neglected and has got all these hostel beds sort of blocking the view. At first I was glad I had chosen the hostel. The ceiling is lovely and there are these little details that give the place a lot of character despite the fact that it is a bit run down. It is also en-suite, which seems rather convenient as you do not have to leave the dormitory to take a shower.

The problem is, the room (as well as the building as a whole) is a bit too narrow so I find the 14-bed arrangement sort of greedy on the hostel's part. I would think that it is OK for 8 people, 10 at the most. This is not very apparent at first but if you are given a bed near the showers the space is so narrow you can barely move or even open your suitcase. I was carrying heavy luggage and could not really manage to have access to my stuff. I quickly took out the very basics and never opened it again as I was always in the way of someone. Basically, this is one of the few hostels where I have truly felt that I was about to collide with somebody at any second, due to the narrow space, it is almost claustrophobia-inducing, like walking along a rat tunnel. One wrong step and you can make a staff member drop all of the plates she is carrying for the breakfast buffet, for example. Incidentally, that nearly happened to me. I felt a bit embarrassed.

Upon arrival, I was told to wait until 2 o'clock. I thought that was fair enough, most hotels and hostels have a similar rule. As I got there three hours before the official check-in, I had to find what to do while I waited. It was all fine, I am used to it. However, when they finally gave me the key, one of the first surprises I had was to discover a mass of hair in the shower and an extremely disgusting toilet with a big... honestly, I thought that thing would become alive at any given minute, come out of the toilet and attack me... It did look that terrible. That is when I thought, the reason why there is a specific check-in hour is to give cleaning staff enough time to have the room ready. Well, it is clear it was not ready. Apart from my bed, which was in decent condition, the whole place looked dirty. Frankly, that was a waste of one's time. You are willing to wait because you are promised a proper room but they did nothing about it. I find it disrespectful. In hindsight, it was sort of hilarious as it was one of them stereotypical hostel moments. I have had very, very few of those, actually, as most of the budget accommodation I have booked has been quite alright, St. Christopher's Inn has got to be perhaps the worst one so far.

The next day the room was a lot cleaner but the bins, which were full of empty fast-food bags and boxes were never emptied. The toilet from hell was later on clogged with paper. I did notice that there was only one cleaning lady about. If that is really so, then it is too much work for a single person, a bad case of understaffing.

One of the good bits at first glance is that breakfast is included. It is quite decent, to be free of charge, but the breakfast area is too small. I would advise people to arrive early enough as it is more comfortable. On the other hand, all of the hostels where I had stayed before had a self-catering kitchen or at least a microwave and a kettle. Granted, this hostel does not claim to have these facilities at all but one sort of assumes they will be there. I had never used this hostel chain before so I was not aware of this. I appreciate the free breakfast but in all honesty, a simple kettle would have helped, even more expensive hotels have tea-making facilities. Tea doesn't even have to be complimentary or anything, I always carry my own tea stuff.

The room was freezing cold most of the time. Not so much at night but it was not very habitable during the day. I did like, however, going to bed looking at beautiful Edinburgh through the window, the view is quite good. I would have to rate the room quality as poor because even though it was visually very attractive, it was one of the most uncomfortable rooms I have ever had, and I have been to quite bad ones.

The shower's temperature is perfect but it has a timer. Perhaps there is a way to adjust the time but I did not manage to find it so I had to press that blasted button every 30 seconds. I understand that a timer may help to save water but surely people need more than 30 seconds to shower... This hostel doesn't give you much of a choice: you don't get to pick your own bed or the time you want the water running in the shower. It is a bit silly.

Last but not least, the famous "you get what you pay for" saying does not really apply. I have stayed at many hostels within the same price range that were better value by far because they were more comfortable and even the shabbiest ones gave me the option of at least making tea so I would not end up spending that much money eating out or getting my tea fix elsewhere. By the way, I got a good price through Hostel Bookers but I overheard a girl in my room saying she had paid nearly twice as much. Now, I would have felt a bit ripped-off in that case. I would say that, for a hostel, it is poor value. You can find many similarly-priced places of superior quality.

Waverley station is a few steps away so there is at least that, if you are travelling by train. I would only recommend this hostel if getting to the station is crucial for you or if you just need a place to crash for one night.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo