“Dissappointing”
Review of Inverleith Hotel

Inverleith Hotel
Ranked #114 of 395 Edinburgh B&B and Inns
Reviewed October 29, 2012

We were given a small double at the back and I mean small. With gear for a 5 night stay there was no wardrobe to hang any clothes. A bit of the room had been used for the bathroom in the adjoining room which was very noisy as the fan sounded like a generator starting up frequently disturbing our sleep. Our shower room was very small and had a faulty toilet which left you with a very annoying drip until the cistern was full. This was promised to be fixed but was not done. The electrics were not great with faulty lights and plugs. The standard of cleanliness of the room was not great as well. The only good thing was the location which was close to my daughter's flat in Edinburgh but I'm afraid on my next visit I will not be staying at this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple

Reviewed October 27, 2012

This is a small hotel, well located with friendly casual staff. We were upgraded to a comfortable room which makes me suspect that the original room as booked would not have been large.

Although we had a car, we walked or took a bus most places. There is paid all day & night parking fairly close.

Our experience was that the room & bathroom were clean and fresh.

(ps there is a great pub nearby)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 20, 2012

I chose this hotel because I used to work in Stockbridge and therefore, I am familiar with the area. Given many previous excellent reviews, I thought I would give it a try on my recent business trip. Good points: First, location. It is close to the Botanic Garden. Good location if you were without a car. Second, friendly staff-wonderful service. Third, ample parking spaces on the street outwith the restriction time.

However, the room was small, with narrow twin beds. Something about the decor-it added to the cramped feeling. For me, the bathroom was disappointing. I agree with some of the other reviewers; it was small, with a broken shower holder making it awkward to stand underneath. It was reasonably clean, well, if you ignore the trace of mould on the shower door. I noted that there had been some complaint about the bathroom previously. I stayed here in September, the shower was still not holding up well. The actual room size was actually not bad if the decor can be rearranged slightly. Will I stay here again? No. I did not have a restful night. For a similar price, in Premier Inn, I had a bigger room, much more comfortable bed, a super clean bathroom, a working shower, a bathtub and a restful night sleep.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed October 4, 2012

Since years we tend to reserve the Visit Scotland accomendations - and so far we always had be thrilled. So this hotel must be a real exception. First room we were sent to was a total mess, than we go another room that was really really small, used and dirty. The second day the room was not made... and stayed dirty it was ... no excuse from the reception.... well this might only be our humble view on british Electricity installtions but we were tented to think that they want to kill their guests... the electic plugs 10 cm away from the window or just normal spots 20 cm away from the shower.... No, I think the place certainly had it's charme but this mus have been long time ago - and the price was exorbitant high for what we got!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 4, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our three night stay at the Inverleith Hotel, a B&B beside the Royal Botanic Gardens in north Edinburgh. The staff were very friendly and we were upgraded into the delightful studio flat which was a comfortable room and its own kitchen and front door. Breakfasts were good and the buses made it easy to get into the city centre.

If we go to Edinburgh again we will certainly stay there. It was great.

Room Tip: Ask if the studio flat is available
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed October 3, 2012

A very nice small hotel, with delightful helpful staff. Good fresh breakfast at one end of the day and a quiet place to sit with a (very reasonably priced) beer at the other. It would have been nice to get a cooked breakfast earlier than 0800, and there were no sports channels on the TV which meant a hurried dash out to see the conclusion of the Ryder Cup, but these are small matters in an otherwise very enjoyable experience. Highly recommended.

Stayed: September 2012
Reviewed September 22, 2012

We recently stayed at this hotel in the 4 poster studio for 3 nights. On entering the room we noticed that it was absolutely filthy! Hadn't been hoovered, we could write our names in the dust on the bathroom shelves, general dirt everywhere! We decided we simply had to complain which we did and were assured that the room would be cleaned properly 1st thing the next day. So we headed out early to leave the room empty for the cleaner, we arrived back at around 3pm to find nothing had been touched! When the cleaner did finally arrive we vacated the room and when we went back in all we could see that had been done was the bed had been made and the toilet and bath roughly cleaned! We could still see our finger marks in the dust!! I'm sure this review will be dismissed by the management like their other poor reviews with excuses like staff holidays and new staff but there are no excuses for that kind of filth in a hotel room!

• Stayed: September 2012