“I love Edinburgh and I would stay at this hotel again” 5 of 5 stars
Review of The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection

The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection
Ranked #68 of 151 Hotels in Edinburgh
Surrey
“I love Edinburgh and I would stay at this hotel again”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2013

I have wanted to visit Edinburgh for a long time and this city met all my expectations and more. This hotel is well positioned, an easy walk to Edinburgh station, and everything else this lovely city has to offer. This hotels biggest asset is its roof terrace and the fact we had a room opening onto this terrace with its view of Carlton Hill, made our stay here what we wanted. The rooms are all newly refurbished, contemporary, and well equipped. The honesty bar set up suited us, and the room service Caesar salad eaten at the glass table over looking the terrace makes the stay here informal and flexible. Bathroom facilities excellent if a little noisy! So many brilliant places to eat in Edinburgh we got up and ate breakfast out.

Room Tip: Choose roof terrace view, we asked to be moved, which they did willingly and it made our stay.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank FrancieGJG
AlisonMathewson, General Manager at The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, September 14, 2013
I'm glad to hear you had an enjoyable stay at The Glasshouse. Thank you for your review and I look forward to welcoming you back to Edinburgh in the not so distant future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (306)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Lisbon, Portugal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2013

This hotel is amazing. The beds are big and so confortable!
We had a room with a big terrace and view to carlton hill.

The location is very good.. we went to every where by foot, is about 10 minutes from royal mile and the castle! you don't need any car or public transport. There are bars, restaurants and shops nearby.

We used the loyalty bar and at check out we had more drinks than we had consumed. The Hotel apologized and corrected everything immediately.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Ana L
Thank you for sharing your feedback. I am glad you enjoyed your time in Edinburgh and at The Glasshouse. I hope you will have another opportunity to visit Edinburgh and stay with us again in the near future.
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

I have been stayed here a couple of times mostly in the suits. Spotless clean rooms, nice and big, very comfy bed. Actually the most comfortable in Edinburgh. We always had just room service that received quickly from a nice member of the staff. I always had breakfast for room service, they do very tasty fried up and good coffee!
I would stay here anytime again although I prefer the suits that's terrace door opens to the garden instead to the front of the street.

• Stayed September 2012
2 Thank KaT_SoM23
Thank you for your feedback and for your ongoing custom. I hope to see you back again soon.
Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 22, 2013 via mobile

On entering, the hotel is impressive, the staff are very friendly and efficient. The layout of the hotel, is some what challenging. My room was up on the third floor, it was spotlessly clean and very well presented. The young man who checked me in was very pleasant, sorry I can not remember his name, he explained everything in the room and how to get to the lounge area, how the honesty bar worked and even the room service. He was excellent.
The layout of the hotel......... There is a walkway from the lounge through the Roof top Garden which is handy for getting the lift to reception. The Restaurant is down the stairs in the lounge and a the bottom of the corridor, this was very hard to find, as there was no staff around to help. The idea of the loyalty bar is quaint but in reality it is to enable staff to be else where!! When you do use the Loyalty Bar, you are instructed, by way of a notice, what to do, you are also reminded that the area is covered by CCTV !!!! My one concern, the details you have to put on the forms are left for any one else to see, they could add extra drinks, know your name, room number. So may I suggest a box that for each round you have, you just put your room number, your chosen drinks and sign it, put it in the box and your details and order are safe!!
My other small point is the food and beverages. The tea is far too strong - fine to use tea leaves, but you need to put a jug of hot water with it, so people can amend the strength of the tea - this is how it should be done. I had to keep asking for more hot water. If you do not want to use more jugs, change to tea bags,like you have in the rooms, far better for the customer.
Breakfast, well - full Scottish, scrambled eggs nicely presented in a circular shape served with one rasher of bacon, one sausage, ONE MUSHROOM ( not a massive mushroom, small flat mushroom)and one slice of black pudding. Now, it either needs to be served on a smaller plate, or they need to be more generous with the portions . I am not suggesting a massive plate of food but even the option of 1 or 2 slices of bacon etc. The full Scottish Breakfast was £18.50, I am just glad mine had been included in my room rate. You can, of course, still have continental breakfast, but I just felt the price of it to the serving was a bit more concerned about profit.
The saving grace of this hotel is, it's staff, location and cleanliness of the room. I was travelling on my own and felt totally comfortable in the hotel. I would recommend this hotel, just be aware of these few issues, they won't spoil your stay but are worth mentioning .

Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Janybabe
Henley on Thames
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2013

This could be such a lovely hotel; the location, straddling a busy shopping street and the craggy hill, is fantastic and the views superb.

It's only when you actually settle into the room that you realise that however stylish it looks, in practice it doesn't work very well. We stayed during a heatwave, and the room was unbearably hot and stuffy. The air conditioning either wasn't working, or just couldn't cope, so we couldn't sleep at night.

Sitting outside the room on the chairs in the sunshine was great, but spoiled somewhat by the fact that the chairs were hard plastic and unbearably hot so we had to drape towels over them. There is a reason that good garden furniture has cotton cushions!

Going for a shower was irritating. There's no internal handle on the shower door so you have to reach up and pull the top of the door to shut it. As there's no shower tray, the water then leaks under the door so there I was paddling in half an inch of water in the bathroom itself (slippy!).

When I went to dry my hair in front of the only mirror, there was no socket to plug the hairdryer into.

Eventually we got so hacked off by the insufferable heat and other irritations that we checked out after just one night, having booked for two. .

Whoever designed this place should have actually tried staying there first and changed a few things to make it more user friendly.

It's a shame, because the staff were friendly, the location is fantastic and the roof garden could be wonderful if only they got rid of the naff plastic furniture.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars
    • 1 of 5 stars
4 Thank honeyHenleyonThames
AlisonMathewson, General Manager at The Glasshouse, Autograph Collection, responded to this review, October 3, 2013
Thank you for providing such constructive feedback. We have had our air conditioning units repaired following the unfortunate malfunction experienced during the unseasonably hot weather.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2013

Lovely staff on check in (Louise i think) and departure. Room and bed to a very high standard, very good room service which we used and useful honesty bar for when having drinks in garden terrace. only criticism would be the garden area was not cleaned once and we stayed there for over 3 hours. lots of dirty glasses and ash trays left out. you must assign a cleaner to go round the garden every hour or so.. Overall great stay and love the new decor.. one of best hotels in Edinburgh

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars
Thank you for your review. I am sorry that the team didn't check the garden whilst you were there, but this has been addressed now, so thank you for letting us know. I hope that you will consider a return visit in the near future.
Virginia Beach, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

Welcoming and friendly staff set the tone for our entire stay here. Wonderful rooms which opened onto the roof-top garden provided a serene setting for wine after a hectic day of sightseeing.

Restaurants, pubs and other shops abound. Great mass transit as well as taxis at the front door allow easy access to museums and attractions.

Note - only problems encountered were parking (off site) and loud banging noise (A/C, radiator or other mechanical) which was persistent and awoke us several times during the nights we stayed which is the reason for the "average" score in the Sleep Quality section. We would definitely stay again - just in another room.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank Wilmington_NCCyndi
Thank you for sharing your feedback about your stay at The Glasshouse. A/C issues have been rectified so I am sure you will have a more comfortable night's sleep when you next visit.