“Fantastic Time, Couldn't have done more!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Rick's

Rick's
Ranked #123 of 150 Hotels in Edinburgh
dundee
“Fantastic Time, Couldn't have done more!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 6, 2010

We had stayed at Ricks a few years ago and it was fine but the place has been re-vamped and it looks really funky.....
We arrived early about 11am and check-in is not normally till 2pm, but they checked to see if the room was available, which it was and got us up straight away. The rooms had changed allot, I-pods, plasma TV's on the wall, GHD straighteners, was everything my better half could want!!
The staff were fantastic our entire stay, they were happy to recommend where to eat and where to drink, they were happy to book us tables and organise taxis.
We had dinner and drinks in Ricks on our last night and the staff were extremely helpful and knowledgeable, the manager had even come at the end of our meal to ask if we enjoyed our stay... nice touch.
All in all we really enjoyed our stay and will be back, the rooms were great value for money and the staff really make it........ we will be back

• 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Taunton
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 25, 2010

We came up to Edinburgh for a reunion with family and friends and decided to book ourselves a hotel which would be a bit luxurious but not break the bank. We were not disappointed. Rick's is a stylish Boutique Hotel with all the mod coms you could want. The staff were friendly and very helpful and the atmosphere was nice and relaxed . The location right in the heart of Edinburgh is ideal

London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2010

We loved our stay in this little gem in the heart of Edinburgh. The room wasn't the biggest hotel room we've ever stayed in but it was stylish, clean, comfortable and great value given the location of the hotel. Breakfast is served in the main dining area and was fantastic. My husband had the Deluxe Grilled breakfast and I opted for the eggs Florentine. The eggs were cooked just right.
We ate out the first night but decided to eat in the hotel restaurant on the second night based on the quality of the breakfast. The dining area shares the main space with the bar and lounge. The decor is thoughtful, cool and again suggests you are in a higher priced establishment than it is.The lighting is low and the atmosphere just right. The mix of cool locals having a drink at the bar along with the diners/ guests makes for a good crowd. I had the seabass and my husband the halibut. We couldn't fault either dish and the wine that was suggested by the waitress was good too. We moved onto the lounge and treated ourselves to a couple of cocktails from the list before retiring to the room. We had a really lovely evening from start to finish.
Our stay at the hotel was all in all a great experience. The staff are all young but very professional, welcoming and most importantly really friendly. We enjoyed the weekend and would highly recommend Ricks if you want a stylish, centrally located boutique hotel in Edinburgh.

Scotland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 24, 2010

I had read about Ricks (although I cant remember where) and decided to visit on the spur of the moment after having to cancel a trip to London.
Ricks is a lounge bar/restaurant with boutique hotel style rooms decorated and furnished to a very high standard.
We were very pleased with everything at Ricks, the bar is fashionable and cool, with a great cocktail list and some really good deals. The restaurant is excellent, we ate there the first night and had a lovely meal, which also was excellent value as they were doing a 2 for 1 deal on main courses. The breakfasts are about the best i have had in Scotland and Ricks is one of the few places i have stayed where Eggs Benedict with smoked salmon is on the menu, and thats one of my favourites!
The bedrooms are smallish, but not too small, more cosy really, and are really comfortable, and we did not have any problem with street noise.
The service is also excellent, and in conversation with one of the managers, it seems that they are well aware of the importance of getting this right.
One of the best things about Ricks is its location, Frederick St is very,very handy for the city centre and the many bars and restaurants on George St, and also, of course for Princes St if you must!
There is no parking at Ricks, although there is on street parking nearby, I chose to use the NCP at John Lewis and this worked out at £19 per 24hrs, which is not too terrible.
We frequently travel to Edinburgh for a quick break or night out, I would now choose Ricks every time.

Birmingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 28, 2010

Me and my husband travel around a lot for business and pleasure so we are quite picky about where we stay. We had read some quite brilliant and quite scathing things about Rick's but decided to make our own opinion about the place. We are so glad that we went with our instinct and stayed there for the night. The staff who run the place are absolute professionals who really know the meaning of customer care. Other places should watch and learn from the staff there. We arrived early and were greeted well and glad to see a really extensive lunch menu with plenty of non-meat options (I'm veggie, husband isn't).
What I've found is that veggie's get little consideration in good restaurants. Not the case at Rick's. The food was varied, good value and loads of it! We were greeted and treated extremely well by John, the Manager, who showed us to our room. The room was modern and stylish with robes and White Company toiletries. Yummy! We hadn't booked for the evening but the staff managed to get us a great table for eating and then a reserved table for cocktails later in the night. Service with a smile again and great tasting food. Cocktails were sublime, unusual and using fresh ingredients and mixers. The ambience, lighting and decor is so easy on the eye and the music is laid back. I've stayed in several places in Edinburgh and would definitely recommend this for a meal and night out. We had an amazing night's sleep with snuggly soft bed covers and good room temperature. We too have young children so appreciated the luxury of a night's sleep in lovely surroundings. Noise was not a problem. Breakfast next day was gorgeous. Eggs Benedict with spinach was divine. and there was no rushing to get you out of the room at 12pm which really aggravates me in some of the larger hotels. Hoping to go back again with our kids (aged 12,11 and 3) some day soon. Thanks everyone for a lovely stay.

1 Thank NathBirmingham
Edinburgh
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2010

I booked a room at Rick's for one night in March 2010 as a present for my wife's birthday. I was really looking forward to staying after reading some good reviews on here and the photos on their website give the feel of a stylish, contempary hotel & restaurant.

On arrival, we were promptly checked in and shown to our room. The duty manageress was most helpful. Our room, although not very large, was nicely furnished with a very comfortable bed, a well stocked mini-bar with a selection of soft drinks and beers, champagne etc. There was a modern wall mounted tv with all Freeview channels and a DVD player which suited us fine. The room was clean and the bathroom had ample towels and free toiletries to use for our stay. The shower was excellent with plenty of pressure and hot water.

Here's where the problems start. The en-suite bathroom door was very noisy when shut tight. It was badly fitted and the door would squeak loudly every time the door closed onto the face of the door jamb. This really should be addressed as it is just too loud to ignore.

We noticed that we didn't have an amazing view from our window, it was just looking onto a back street but weren't too bothered at first .... little did we know! Directly below our room was a small French restaurant. The noise from this place really ruined our stay. We had the regular noise of empty bottles being emptied into the street bin at all hours of the day & night. We were disturbed by a Harley Davidson motorcycle around midnight and then the bin lorries making night and morning collections from the bins. I fully expect to have some noise with it being in a city centre but the bedroom windows really are bad. They look like double glazed units but they just don't have any soundproofing at all. It did ruin our stay and I would recommend Rick's to address this urgently. We rarely get the chance to have a lie in because we have children so to be woken up by the sound of the bin lorry at around 7am on a Sunday morning was annoying to say the least. I have read some of the other recent reviews and noticed that other clients have suffered from the same noise problems from the poor glazing and it isn't just us being picky, so be warned!

After all that, I have to say that we had a lovely cooked breakfast in the restaurant. The food was nice and hot, with an excellent choice, probably one of the best breakfasts I've had in a hotel, we couldn't fault it.

I did mention the noise problem to the duty manageress when we checked out. I got the impression that I wasn't the first person to mention it. When I booked the room six weeks earlier I made a point of asking for a quiet room but alas I didn't get one. We weren't offered any reduction. I understand that you can't do anything about neighbouring businesses but Rick's can do something about the windows. I don't think I would go back after our experience which is a real pity because Rick's is a stylish hotel inside.

Think twice about bringing your car if you're staying in Edinburgh. Nothing to do with the hotel but there are no decent parking spaces near this hotel and the parking wardens are out in force ... I got a ticket!

• 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Edinburgh
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2010

We stayed at Rick's for a weekend to visit family in Edinburgh. When we arrived we were told that our room was ready and we could go straight on up but we prefered to visit the city for a bit and so the staff were very helpful in recommending tourist sites and giving directions. They also took our luggage for us so we did not have to worry about that.
The room was lovely, very clean with extremely comfortable beds. We decided to book dinner in the restaurant for that evening too as we'd looked over the menu previously.
The bar was great, the staff really helped in finding me a cocktail I'd like, and were extremely knowledgable in what they were selling.
The food was also delicious and service was prompt. Everyone was very polite.
We couldn't be happier with our stay and would recommend the accommodation to friends. The bar is a great area to meet for casual drinks and soak up the atmosphere. We were interested in hosting a birthday party there in the future and we were told that there was also an area which could be seperated from the main restaurant which is ideal for larger groups.

All in all, we were very impressed and we are looking forward to our next visit. A little gem in the city center and great value for money!!

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple