“A great weekend”

Ranked #121 of 149 Hotels in Edinburgh
Scotland
“A great weekend”
Reviewed January 26, 2010

My wife and I stayed at Ricks during the festival. The staff were very friendly when we checked in. I note some comments about the entrance beng a restaurant/bar - so what ! - if you want a grand reception area then go to the larger and more expensive hotels in the city centre like Sheraton or Balmoral.

The rooms are compact but very clean and have all the nice touches you would expect. We were able to relax with a drink in the bar and then have an excellent meal. The serving staff take an interest and know the menu. We were there on a Saturday evening, the restaurant was busy but the service was efficient (not that we were in any hurry).

It was a joy to walk out on a summer evening, go to a show then walk back without having to wait for taxis.

In the morning we had along lie in and a very relaxed long breakfast (all freshly cooked) - no buffet left overs. We werent at all disturbed by the bin lorry in the morning (slept through it )- rubbish has to be collected after all. I note that some reviewers seem to be very uptight about this small issue.

The rate charged during the festival was reasonable - we shopped around and even the budget chain hotels in the central area were asking up to £200 pn (with no breakfast).

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (60)
London
Reviewed January 22, 2010

Just spent 2 nights in Ricks and really enjoyed our staff. Staff were very friendly. Room was lovely. Strange to walk through a bar to go to the rooms though. Breakfast was great too and served until 12. Slightly noisy early in the morning as near to a recyling bottle bin!! nevertheless a very enjoyable stay with great access to shops, George and Princess Street.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
london
Reviewed January 16, 2010

Recommended by a friend who stays in Edinburgh, this hotel is an real gem. From the initial friendly welcome to the taxi booked on departure,we couldnt fault the place.

Rooms of a medium size, well equipped, really comfy beds, great pillows!! Thanks to Fraser for managing to squeeze us a table on a busy night, what amazing food.

Disnt have time for breakfast, but thoroughly enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
Glasgow
Reviewed December 2, 2009

I stayed at Rick’s Boutique Hotel for a 2 night stay on Friday 27th and Saturday 28th November 2009. I was unimpressed. I feel I should give you a little back story here – I was a fan of Rick’s for a number of years and several times a year I would book a 2 night stay either for shopping trips, Going to the rugby etc. There were always a couple of little niggling issues to do with the service that I thought could live with being tightened up but nothing major – especially since I liked the place and the staff. Fast forward to last November and a very nasty experience where they had double booked our room (they have done this before – but that’s another story) and before advising us and apologising they had tendered out pout booking to another hotel not in the same group, that I would never have chosen myself and was too far out of the City Centre than was suitable for the purpose of my visit. When I advised I was unhappy with this especially since I had been a loyal repeat customer to Rick’s and recommended them to others. After a complaint was made to the manager he was extremely apologetic, was aware we were regular guests and offered a 2 night complimentary stay, which we accepted in the good nature it was given and redeemed last weekend. Sadly….I will not be back.
• We arrived and the booking was incorrect
• It took 20 minutes to simply check in
• At breakfast the staff are more inclined to be chatting to each other than taking orders
• Orders are placed at breakfast and never materialise – when checked into – the order was never put through
• A lot of the nice touches that made it seem special in the rooms are missing now
As a bar and restaurant I cannot fault the place:
• The décor is classy
• The food is good
• The cocktail list is extensive
• The bar staff are knowledgeable and friendly
The problems with this place as a hotel are a real shame as I do not think its incompetence or disinterest or even bad management, for me it is a question of not having a real grip on the hotel side of the business – simply the systems are not in place. The one thing the hotel does present is a really competetative room rate. Sadly, for me Rick’s has run out of chances.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled with friends
Newcastle upon Tyne
Reviewed November 17, 2009

Having stayed at Tigerlilly, the supposed 'sister' of Ricks I felt comfortable booking Ricks for a 2 night stay, a surprise for my other half who had put up with me moaning for months when I was made redundant in March. I booked Ricks on the back of staying at Tigerlilly and didn't think twice....WHAT A MISTAKE I MADE!

Arriving at the hotel, the receptionist instantly started to look for my table reservation and I had to advise that I had in fact booked accommodation. We were escorted to our room which was a 'Deluxe Double' at a discounted rate of £95.00. Whilst on first impression the room was nice, I didn't expect to find that they had simply pushed two single beds together, yeah, even the single matresses so you had a nice piping effect down the middle of the bed.....not the 'piping' I'd expected in Edinburgh!

Nor did I expect:

Not to be able to turn the heating down in the room and be scorched all night;

Not to be able to get a fan in the room when requested and indeed promised this by staff

The outside bins to be emptied at all hours of the day, the resulting noise blasting through the ever so thin 'double glazing'

The fire alarm going off twice in one morning, without even a courteous phone call from the desk to say...we're testing the alarms or there's no need to leave your rooms...

And to cap it all, even when stating I was unhappy when checking out that the duty manager didn't even come to apologise but instead sat near the kitchen chatting to a builder....

Hopefully the builder was there to pull this place down, if so, I'd forgive the manager for not coming to speak with me - as pulling the place down has to be a priority!!

My advice and I use hotels a lot, don't book it for sleeping....book it for food, they made a nice breakfast, even if all of the items weren't present on the plate each morning!

4* boutique..... definately not, more like 2* hostel with relatively nice wallpaper and flatscreen TV's and definately the oh so poor relative of Tigerlilly!

I'm not just ranting on here, I intend on writing to Tigerlilly and whichever Tourism Board / Agency I can to let them know if the poor standards this place offers.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JWP176
Cardiff
Reviewed October 13, 2009

This hotel has great potential but unfortunately was let down by the poor finish and location of the rooms. On the whole the service was good- the breakfasts are to die for (especially the waffles!) and the atmosphere relaxed and friendly. The downside was that the room was a bit tardy. One of the draw fronts within the wardrobe came off when it was pulled and although it was left hanging and in view so it could be picked up by the maid service, this was never fixed. The linen was lovely and fresh - no complaints there. Bath robes and fluffy white towels were also provided. However there was no shampoo as part of the toiletries and we also found that the previous occupants left with a lighter load..... a pair of mens boxers, an earring and an empty wine bottle were left under the bed! The bedroom faced out onto a back street where there was another resaurant, which was fine, except that the bin men came at around 6.00am every morning to empty the bottle and food bins......a bit of an rude awakening. The hotel is located in a great place, just off George Street. It just needs a little bit more TLC and attention plus triple glazing to make it a great place to stay.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed September 30, 2009

We arrived before check in time an although our room was not ready, our luggage was stored readily. It's not a hotel as such as reception is effectively the front desk for the bar and the restaurant also. It was good to see that even before lunchtime the place was fairly busy with people enjoying tea or coffee or brunch. It had a laid back kind of vibe and the bar area was light and airy.

We stopped for tea at a really cute tea shop called Eteaket just down the road and then started exploring the city. When we returned to Rick's later we were shown to our room which was on the 1st floor. There is no lift but that wasn't a problem for us. The stair area is clean and well maintained. The room itself was nice enough with lots of White Company toiletries, tea and coffee facilities, flat screen tv, hairdryer etc. It was nicely done out and didn't look dated or scruffy. The shower was powerful and there was things like cotton wool, cotton buds and dental kits (comprising toothbrush and toothpaste) available.

Admittedly the room was compact and storage took organisation skills. However we were only there for 2 nights so it was sufficient. Lighting was typically dim so not great for makeup and there was no chair for the dressing table so had to my makeup on my knees! But all this was tolerable especially as we paid less that £100 per night including breakfast.

Breakfast was freshly made and delicious. Service was friendly and efficient. One morning we had full fry up and the other eggs benedict.

We had drinks in the bar before going out to dinner. They do some good deal on drinks Mon - Fri. Champagne for £5 per glass. I checked out the food other people ordered and it looked yummy.

Edinburgh is a fun city. We went to Leith for dinner both nights. One night we had booked to go to Martin Wishart's and that was truly amazing, We had planned to stay central for the second night but a friend suggested meeting up at a tapas place in Leith so we went there again. It was a great meal and such good value. Getting to Leith was easy on the bus and there is a stop near Rick's. Even I made it in my high heels! A taxi back wasn't expensive but the buses still run late on, wWe were just lazy! We had lunch at 21212 which is just slightly out of town and that was delicious too. I'd love to return for dinner.

I would also recommend Rabbies for a day trip. We went to Stirling Castle and Loch Lomond with them and it was a very interesting trip.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple