“A little gem”

Ranked #10 of 159 Coffee & Tea in Edinburgh
Dining options: Breakfast
Dining options: Breakfast
Reviewed May 6, 2013

The friendly atmosphere and unusual decor together with excellent food make this a little treasure. Prices are very reasonable and cheap compared with the city centre, a can of sparkling fruit juice was 30% less here than in town! A great place to go for breakfast or brunch or a cuppa with a piece of one of their excellent homemade cakes. Make sure you are hungry when you go, portions are large. The staff make you feel at home and are always smiling. A handy location for Ocean Terminal and Britannia. They also offer a take away service.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We read about this place in The Week and thought we must visit when we were seeing friends on our spring getaway from Vermont...

So overall the all day breakfast was good value, but I felt there was perhaps a little too much grease on some items, and the bacon could have been of a better quality....but I am a bacon snob and also an member of the British Sausage Appreciation society! And prey you may think what does he know to comment so much????? Well I spend 10 months of the year cooking fryups for our American clients at the inn I co-own...so I think I know a great breakfast when I see one! The rest of our party had combination items of scrambled eggs/toast and bits of cooked vegetable...all seemed happy.

A point I think needs addressing is the tea...which was very poor. It lacked flavour, colour and strength. If strong tea is too strong you can weaken it...but you cannot reverse this process!

Also on the day we visited it was cold....and the cafe never warmed up enough, so Cafe Creatives invest in some extra heaters or insulate your fire door, as half of the Forth winds were blowing in through them there cracks!

The staff did seem overworked and I would agree the initial meet and greet needs sharpening up as table waiting folks seem to mill around and get in their way, and also the way of the seated clients. The overall atmosphere is very jolly and British and has an originality about it.

1  Thank Davidbignose!
Reviewed April 18, 2013

I've had breakfast here a few times and the food is of excellent quality, reasonably priced and the service is also really good; all the girls that work in here are really friendly and you receive service with a smile!

Reviewed April 15, 2013 via mobile

We always visit Haven on our travels to Edinburgh.
And are never disappointed.
The staff are always happy to help and serve your every demand.
Food is always the same standard. There is so much choice and its always lovely!
Thanks :)

Reviewed March 29, 2013

My wife and I popped in for a late breakfast after hearing good things about this place. We ordered porridge, toast and jam, eggy bread and bacon, sausage roll, two coffees and two orange juices. We then got a shock when we got the bill as we thought they must have left things off it! The food was well presented and very tasty, and the portions were not what you would term small. We enjoyed the laid back atmosphere of the place and the fact that the staff were very friendly and more than willing to help. Definitely worth a visit although I do understand that it can get busy on a weekend.

1  Thank Alistair_J96