“£1 pizza, amazing atmosphere, just incredible”
Review of The Kilderkin

The Kilderkin
Ranked #589 of 2,478 Restaurants in Edinburgh
Cuisines: Pizza, Bar, Pub
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Old Town
Description: WE SERVE TWO DISTINCT MENUS; OUR DAYTIME MENU RUNS TILL 5pm AND OUR PIZZA MENU FROM 6pm Traditional Scottish bar with high-quality, home made food and a great selection of beer and spirits.
“£1 pizza, amazing atmosphere, just incredible”
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

£1 pizza and that isn't even the best part! Friendly staff, pay at the end, come and take orders from the table and enjoyed the lovely and talkative staff.

Handmade stone baked pizza for £1 and a wonderful collection of meats! Finally got to try crocodile.

In Edinburgh? Give it a go, wish it was my local!

BarrelHalfFull, Owner at The Kilderkin, responded to this review, February 28, 2013
Thanks for the review.
Our £1 pizza night has turned out to be a great success, but I must warn anyone reading this review that it now gets very busy and we can no longer take orders at the table and there can be a long wait if you're not in early.
Having said all that, it's still the best meal deal in town.
Cheers
J

Houston, Texas
“A Royal Mile Find”
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Just like some other reviewers, we found The Kilderkin by accident. The weather was horrible that day, but we had walked up and down the mile and needed a break. We popped into here mid-afternoon for drinks. Great atmosphere! And the absolute BEST hot chocolate I have ever had....maybe not what most taverns would want to be known for, but it was outstanding. (And, yes, the dog added a special touch!)

• Visited September 2012
1 Thank vickay
BarrelHalfFull, Manager at The Kilderkin, responded to this review, January 17, 2013
Thank-you for your kind review and we're glad you enjoyed your visit to Kilderkin. Toby (the dog) says you should stop in again sometime...
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Excellent service and food.”
Reviewed December 31, 2012 via mobile

Popped in for lunch, place was very busy so expected long wait but service was great, food prompt and good. Highly recommend.

BarrelHalfFull, Owner at The Kilderkin, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Thanks for your comments.

Hogmanay was a busy day for us and I'm glad you didn't have to wait too long.

Hope you enjoyed the rest of your stay in Edinburgh.

Best wishes for 2013.
Shetland
“A hidden gem, a surprise and a good night”
Reviewed December 19, 2012

The decor of this pub, both outside and in, does not really reflect the place well. It is pretty dark, but you get used to that, I guess it creates a cosy atmosphere. The place was well laid out so that you had privacy at your table without the next group along being too close.

I met friends here for some evening drinks and food.

The bar staff were very helpful, attentive and informed. The pizza menu was great - a real play on words which amused us all. We had a pizza each - pure gluttony as they were rather large but so tasty that it was hard to stop eating. I basically cleared my plate, my friend commented that I do not do that very often so a real hats off to the kitchen staff.

We had a variety of drinks to suit our group, nice wine by the glass, beer on tap, and cocktails which were not too shabby. They also have a large selection of rum, I presume on the influence of the manager who runs a rum-club once a month. We tried a good few....

There was a family in with young children when we were there - they seemed comfortable and welcomed which was nice to see.

My Edinburgh residing friends had not been before, but I am sure that they will be back soon - as will I the next time I am in town.

• Visited December 2012
BarrelHalfFull, Owner at The Kilderkin, responded to this review, December 23, 2012
Thanks for your comments.
Glad to hear you enjoyed the puns on our new menu. We had a lot of fun thinking them up.
We hope to welcome you back again soon.
Cheers
James
Federal Way, Washington
“Kilderkin - a great find”
Reviewed September 20, 2012

We found this as we wandered down the Royal Mile. We were tired of trekking and in need of lunch. This turned out to be a fortuitous place - nice atmosphere, great host (loved his dog!) and good food. Prices were more than reasonable and the portions were sufficiently large that we had more than enough food.

• Visited September 2012